Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99
So there we have it and you had to agree that a magnum is indeed more effective or shall we say more deadly. I say so and I just proved it.

Now there are details of course like increased recoil however some people can shoot magnums well just to make the point that they have an edge or benefit.

The day that you can prove two dead animals that have been shot with a 300 Roy and a 308 and both dead...not kicking, breathing, or sticking their tongue out at ya cause ya didn't shoot one with a magnum,will be the day the hell freezes over.

DEAD IS DEAD........not deadlier or deadliest, or god I wish he was more dead.....

When you can get your magnum to kill, gut, and wall-mount your deer, then you'll have a case, point, and a new fan by your's truely. Until then, I await the sight of the deadest animal that is more dead than the other dead animals.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can explain it. However its complicated. Later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy who has passed away now did not like recoil at all. He was a little guy who shot an Remington 243. It was some short barreled compact model. He wanted the lightest load and I used to shoot the 75 gr Sierra HP a lot so I loaded them up with the min. charge of 3031.

He shot a buck with that load and the deer ran out of the woods and died at the tailgate of his truck. He really liked that load but what did he know?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
So there we have it and you had to agree that a magnum is indeed more effective or shall we say more deadly. I say so and I just proved it.

Well then, purely for the sake of continuing this silly argument:

If your theory is correct, then why did the .300 Mangleum require more shots (on average) than any other cartridge in the study?

Regards,
Scott

Simply because a cartridge doesn't make deadly, but the man behind the gun who can place his shot does.

Give me a 22LR and I'll harvest every game animal Oregon has to offer, but we all know they ain't deadly and that can't happen because if a 308 isn't deadly enough, the damn 22 hasn't got a chance.

Well crap guys....I want to see some "DEAD" animals...I'm not talking about ones that are just lying there within feet of the hit, not breathing, bloody, and allowing you to take pictures of yourself with them, but honest to goodness dead ones.....So dead that you killed their cousins, brothers, and sisters at the same time. And ones that are mounted on the wall don't count either, cause that's not ironclad proof of deadly.
And whatever you do, don't post any pics of deer that are presumed dead by a bowhunter. We all know you can't kill anything with a bow and arrow....Heck it ain't even a firearm, let alone one that counts as "deadly".

Well tonight I think I'm gonna have some non-dead deer roast over some non-grown potatoes, and some near-dead deer beer, minus the hops and barley....you boys have fun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can explain it. However its complicated. Later.

ROTFLMAO.......

Yeah....it's complicated.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how did this thread get to be so funny?

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This quotation explains it to those who understand it.

" All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Maybe we should ask Mike378 to recite the story of 2 Aussies that went into the late Don Black's gunsmithing business and ordered a pair of .223 rifles made to their specs.

They took these rifles to Africa and shot a truck load of animals, one shot a piece each.

Or the countless Kiwi cullers that shot red deer for decades with the .22 Hornet. God knows I have read a lot of those stories over the years.

Magnums are there for those who want additional bullet weight which can be driven at the same velocities as the standard cartridges using lighter or medium weight bullets.

A .300 Winchester can shoot a 200 grain bullet as fast as a .30/06 with a 180. Trajectories will be similar, recoil and blast will favor the .30/06 from an operational standpoint, but there is no animal that can be taken with one and not the other, which I think is the point being lost here.

Dead is in point of fact, dead.

This reminds me of the John Wayne shootout with Kirk Douglas beside him; Douglas said "Mine hit hte ground first", Wayne responded, "Mine was taller".

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This quotation explains it to those who understand it.

" All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer
German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

If you spent more time finding "REAL DEAD" animals, rather than searching aimlessly for a good quote that fell short of magnum velocities, you'd have me buying a new rifle...... grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For god's sakes man....don't put any field evidence into this discussion....we're talking about 10,000, wish-I'd-been-deader moose here. grin

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Matt,
My apologies.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if any of them were killed by near misses from hypersonic bullets.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Sweden a lot of moose drivers use dogs -- som special breeds and even some very small terriers. The chances of loosing a hard hit animal in the thick stuff or swamps decline when dogs lead you to the downed animal. This factor plus the ease of shooting a 6.5 accurately w/o recoil flinch would make me a lot more confident using the Swede on a larger animal in heavy cover there -- irrespective of any data on distance run after fatal hits.

Around home, my evening hunts w/o dogs see bigger bores in my hands as I feel more confident about puitting the deer down in their tracks rather than skying off into the thick stuff and failed light. So far, the .338 Federal and Whelen have done the evening bang flop job pretty well, while ,in the past I have lost several hard hit deer to the jungle and dark when using a 257 Bob. I now reserve the lighter calibers for early and mid day hunts.

1B

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mule Deer
As someone else pointed out the permanent wound channel surface area is the correct measure, not its volume. That measure increases far slower than frontal area as you increase bullet diameter.

In the example of .308 vs. .338 the surface area on them (when expanded to double) increases wound channel surface area by 9.7%, but frontal area is increased 17%.

Dumping blood is the issue and the speed at which it leaves determines blood pressure drop and the frontal zone of bleeding is where the drop take place.

As we have discussed before, the docs I get to discuss this with (cardiac surgeons and anaesthesiologists specializing in cardiac surgery) remain steadfast in saying a cut to the aorta is the fastest non-CNS death. A severed aorta with heart intact will drop an animal in an average of three heartbeats.

The question I have about the moose study involves the small number examples like the 358NM. I wonder how many of the small sample were done by the same shooter. On a multi-year study with limited numbers of 358NM shooters it could really be nothing more than a marksmanship study of a better shooter.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Art,

All interesting points--especially about the low numbers of .358 Norma shooters, which of course might also apply to the .300 Winchester as well.

I wonder if the aorta damage applies to big game animals as well as humans. Obviously any damage to the aorta stops things pretty quickly, but as a confirmed autopsier, I have postmortemed many animals that died at least partially due to severe aortic damage that went the "normal" 25-50 yards before keeling over. Many I have actually seen fall, and quite often they make the lope/run, then stagger a little while before falling. Normally the whole process takes longer than 3 seconds.

I got the information about blood pressure dropping in the brain from another study, that gave the normal range as 10-15 seconds, with an average of 12, after massive trauma to the center of the circulatory system. While I normally do not start a stopwatch when shooting, since reading that study the animals I have observed fall from non-CNS shots have certainly seemed to go down mostly within that time-frame.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The key to the fastest damage is two-fold as I have quoted the docs repeatedly. First, the big leak needs to be there for speed. Second, to guarantee the big leak stays the big leak as long as possible the pump must keep pulling on the suction side of the system.

Destroy the heart muscle and the pump stops. Leakage will obviously drain the residual pressure but not nearly as rapidly as an intact pumping heart.

Clearly, a large percentage of aorta damaging shots are going to do the same to heart muscle.

We discussed the fact we were referring to critters, not humans and there answers were oriented that way. They pointed out the fact ungulates have but a single pleura housing both lungs where humans have one for each. They cut up critters also and have a better reference point when watching shot animals...

I find the whole thing extremely interesting. One of the best days I remember involved a horse guy and I cutting up a moose and doing a thorough comparative anatomy lab there on the mountainside.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have heard the claim by "exit hole" hunters that an exiting bullet helps collapse the lungs in big game animals, due to the single pleura. The theory is that without the exit hole, the lungs have to fill with blood before seeing much effect. They may have something.

On the other hand, the quickest-deadest I have seen animals die from lung shots was when they were shot with Berger VLD's that essentilly minced the lungs, and often did NOT leave an exit hole.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On a lung shot, through and through, isn't it the cold air rushing in causes some shock as well as the loss of oxygenated blood to brain and muscles. Also, I didn't hear anyone talk about bullet / speed combinations that hurt the animal. Eg: if i bounce a softball off your chest that generates 10 ft/lbs of energy you will feel it for sure, but if I use something long (S.D.) of the same weight it will hurt more than the softball. So with the same amount of force I can hurt you with varying degrees of 'hurt'. A big hurt will cause more pain , pain mixes up your nervous system, puts it on tilt. I think this is a contributing factor in knocking an animal down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have heard the claim by "exit hole" hunters that an exiting bullet helps collapse the lungs in big game animals, due to the single pleura. The theory is that without the exit hole, the lungs have to fill with blood before seeing much effect. They may have something.

As with shooting moose or other animals in general, there are many ways to shoot them dead. So too with lung shots. While it's true that a decent lung shot seems to effectively kill moose, I tend to think - even though I can't quantify it- that some lung shots work better (faster) than others. I have seen lungs both ways on dead moose: fully inflated or nearly so with blood loss being the killer, as well as collapsed lungs, again with blood loss being apparent and seemingly significant. There are obviously many things which can affect the speed of an animal's demise. However, collapse or total destruction of the lungs seems never a bad thing in accomplishing that. Since entrance holes are often smaller regardless the caliber or speed, an exit hole does seem to encourage lung collapse. Then again, perforating the diaphragm seems to also work.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MD
I do not see the lungs as ay factor in speed of killing, aside from their role as bleeders. There is plenty of oxygen in muscle and blood in the muscle to carry an animal for literal minutes.

Of course they may be saying the lungs filling with blood causes the BP to drop.

As to quickest kills with grenades and no exits... The descending aorta and the pleural branches thereof are huge potential bleeders with blood supplies to more than half the critter...
art

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,814 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,968
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.