Campfire Ranger
V
Yes, the Bakken.

Rental company.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
38 years in Prudhoe bay oilfield. It was a great job. Been retired almost 12 years.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
8 years on the north slope in security and emergency response. I’d go back tomorrow if my wife’s health was better.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the Gulf of Mexico drilling rigs and in the marsh on inland barges in the 70s. 2R Drilling Company. All Cajun except me.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Who is a “company man”?

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by viking
Who is a “company man”?

Are you asking what that means?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I used to be a construction superintendent for a major oil company, and when we finished with the supporting infrastructure down here they said they needed me in ND. Umm... Thanks, but no.

Still do some oilfield consulting with overseeing projects for oil companies, or a liaison between oil company projects and land owners.

Most recent was overseeing the plugging of two wells on one ranch.

Gigs pay well... Like a grand a day, or I wouldn't even do it.

Plugging wells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That rig looks like the ones we used to drill shallow wells with. They used a rig similar to that to drill the hole to get the miners out at the quecreek mine in somerset Pa. A few years back

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I used to be a construction superintendent for a major oil company, and when we finished with the supporting infrastructure down here they said they needed me in ND. Umm... Thanks, but no.

Still do some oilfield consulting with overseeing projects for oil companies, or a liaison between oil company projects and land owners.

Most recent was overseeing the plugging of two wells on one ranch.

Gigs pay well... Like a grand a day, or I wouldn't even do it.

Plugging wells.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That rig looks like the ones we used to drill shallow wells with. They used a rig similar to that to drill the hole to get the miners out at the quecreek mine in somerset Pa. A few years back

They can indeed drill shallow wells with that rig. I don't think much over 5000 feet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Company man is a contractor that is in charge of the rig. He carries liability insurance on himself. He takes instructions from the oil company office and sees to it that the drilling contractor or workover tools spread follows the company drilling or workover department's plan.
On a fixed leg platform he is usually the top man and ultimate authority on site.
The last place I worked was a floating platform. I was the OIM. The ultimate work authority. We had a rig on our top deck drilling. We had a company man in charge of the drilling rig.
It was a difficult situation, company men don't like being in second place and the 3 companies I worked for the drilling department gets their way over production. I had a good relationship with them and didn't have authority problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not there myself, but an engineering uncle earned big bucks mostly out of country (Europe and South America). I think he was mostly responsible for handling gas as opposed to crude. He retired young and his kids were schooled by boarding institutions here in the US. Really screwed up kids as their only parenting came during extended vacations.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/13/24.

1Minute
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
I spent just enough time in the oil patch to realize I didn't want to spend my life in the "Oil Patch".
Tripping pipe in a pouring rain.
Pulling a wet string that freezes the instant it hits an already slippery floor.
Twelve hour towers.
Night towers.
Rebuilding salt water injection pumps in rattlesnake infested pump sites.
Wrenching rods in 110° heat standing knee deep in "mud"*.
* - a mixture of drilling mud, sludge, salt water, paraffin and what ever else. Those clothes will NEVER be the same! LOL!

The "awl bidness" is chicken or feathers. You're either eating T-bones or Ramen noodles.
Back about 2017 or so, there were at least 5 Dodge 3500, Cummins diesel, 4WD, 4 door trucks with 200 Amp Lincoln welders and 84 quart Yeti coolers stopped at every red light in Midland, TX.
By 2021, EVERY Subaru, Mazda, VW, Toyota dealership in Midland had a lot full of those used trucks that could be bought for a song.

Midland/Odessa, Texas, known for the Permian Basin "awl bidness" fluctuations, never increased their housing. Apartment complexes were packed and at premium prices. RV camps were elbow to elbow!
Six months later, a $1250/mo apartment could be had for $500/mo with no move in fees!
That Bidness about the RATTLESNAKES DID IT FOR ME !!!!!!!!!!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
I spent just enough time in the oil patch to realize I didn't want to spend my life in the "Oil Patch".
Tripping pipe in a pouring rain.
Pulling a wet string that freezes the instant it hits an already slippery floor.
Twelve hour towers.
Night towers.
Rebuilding salt water injection pumps in rattlesnake infested pump sites.
Wrenching rods in 110° heat standing knee deep in "mud"*.
* - a mixture of drilling mud, sludge, salt water, paraffin and what ever else. Those clothes will NEVER be the same! LOL!

The "awl bidness" is chicken or feathers. You're either eating T-bones or Ramen noodles.
Back about 2017 or so, there were at least 5 Dodge 3500, Cummins diesel, 4WD, 4 door trucks with 200 Amp Lincoln welders and 84 quart Yeti coolers stopped at every red light in Midland, TX.
By 2021, EVERY Subaru, Mazda, VW, Toyota dealership in Midland had a lot full of those used trucks that could be bought for a song.

Midland/Odessa, Texas, known for the Permian Basin "awl bidness" fluctuations, never increased their housing. Apartment complexes were packed and at premium prices. RV camps were elbow to elbow!
Six months later, a $1250/mo apartment could be had for $500/mo with no move in fees!
That Bidness about the RATTLESNAKES DID IT FOR ME !!!!!!!!!!!

Salt water injection pumps are all PD (positive displacement) pumps. When a plunger starts a "pump" stroke, something is going somewhere. Whether it's a valve cap, discharge line, fluid head. It never failed that injection companies worked with wells that were so pressurized, they wouldn't close just the discharge valve at the pump. The would close that valve, the well head valve and any valve on the line in-between. Anywhere from a few feet to a half mile or so.
You NEVER rebuilt a injection pump without checking that ALL the discharge valves were open.
As the "junior" man, it was always my "duty" to walkout the line toting an 18" pipe wrench, down through the mesquite thickets and head high Johnson grass!
I can still hear Chester, "Marty, watch out for them buzz bunnies!" 😖

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/13/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes. Production and midstream for the last 27yrs.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes 42 years in central WV started with South Eastern Gas,22 years with Pennzoil and the rest with Triad,Range Resources , Enervest,retired 6 years ago, was a good ride.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did 4 years pushing a roustabout crew in the permian basin in the early 90’s the work sucked and the scenery sucked so did the women

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Company man is a contractor that is in charge of the rig. He carries liability insurance on himself. He takes instructions from the oil company office and sees to it that the drilling contractor or workover tools spread follows the company drilling or workover department's plan.
On a fixed leg platform he is usually the top man and ultimate authority on site.
The last place I worked was a floating platform. I was the OIM. The ultimate work authority. We had a rig on our top deck drilling. We had a company man in charge of the drilling rig.
It was a difficult situation, company men don't like being in second place and the 3 companies I worked for the drilling department gets their way over production. I had a good relationship with them and didn't have authority problems.

I agree with most of what you said, but the company man is not the ultimate authority on site..... the toolpusher is. I've run company men off the rig. When a company man says to do something that is more than the equipment is rated for or something that is unsafe for the personnel, off he goes! I went thru 6 company men on 1 job, back in the early 80's.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16penny
Did 4 years pushing a roustabout crew in the permian basin in the early 90’s the work sucked and the scenery sucked so did the women

Ain't a damn thing "purty" about the Permian area, unless you own producing wells. Work, scenery OR women!

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 16penny

Ain't a damn thing "purty" about the Permian area, unless you own producing wells. Work, scenery OR women!

Yeah......it's called a desert, for a reason. You couldn't be more wrong about the women though. I've lived in 6 different states and there's not a better place to make a whole lot of money than the Permian Basin. A water/crude hauling truck driver will make $100k easily.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I work on the other (better) end of the pipe… turning that nasty stuff into gasoline, jet, diesel, etc. I started my career in chemicals, but moved to refining after about 10yrs - still here 20yrs later! Got a couple more years left and gonna call it a career!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I worked a little during the first Bakken boom around 1980, starting at "worm's corner" and then chain-hand. I was still in college and just getting a slippery hold on my eventual writing career, and it was a great way to make good money in a short time--and also kept me in shape for hunting season!

Didn't want to make it a career, but learned a lot. Still look back on those days pretty fondly, partly because I primarily worked during late summer and saw a lot of northern lights....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.