Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All;
Good morning to you all, I hope wherever this finds you that it finds you well.

I'll start with the admission that I do call myself a Christian but am very much a work in progress as to where I am in that journey. As an additional thought to that, I'm not here to convert, convince or remotely change anyone else's thoughts on Deity or the lack thereof. That's for each of you.

Also I should be clear that I've not been a fan of folks such as Joel Osteen who preach what is sometimes termed "Prosperity Gospel".

Again with full disclosure I do not read Greek or Hebrew and am not a scholar in any field. That said, in my immediate family I've got current pastors, a former pastor and a couple former missionaries, for whatever that's worth to the reader.

My purpose for posting this video then is to get other reader's opinion on Buddy's take on Joel Osteen or their take on Joel by himself.

Sometimes I've found it's good to hear other views on some issues which arise in life, but for sure sometimes I'm already set in my ways as well - there is that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you're inclined to share on this frosty February morning.

I'm off to the shop for a wee bit of stock work and some furniture repair, so I'll check in later.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BC30cal
All;

Also I should be clear that I've not been a fan of folks such as Joel Osteen who preach what is sometimes termed "Prosperity Gospel".

Again with full disclosure I do not read Greek or Hebrew and am not a scholar in any field. That said, in my immediate family I've got current pastors, a former pastor and a couple former missionaries, for whatever that's worth to the reader.

Dwayne, IMO we don't need biblical scholars to tell us how many angels can dance on the head of a pin any more than we need politicians and judges in black robes to tell us what the Constitution means.

Osteen is a fraud, but only one of many. "Prosperity gospel" is a doctrine of devils, and that's all there is to it. In Jesus' time Osteen's table would have been one in the temple that Jesus overturned.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Joel Osteen- - - - - -P.T. Barnum with a Bible! I'm sure there' a place reserved for him for eternity- - - - -shoveling coal to feed the fires of Hell!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dwayne; interesting conversation. I was hoping to do a snappy reply with a linked video but my weak digital skills are showing, I would suggest anyone not familiar with the song do a search for Ray Stevens “would Jesus wear a Rolex” .

I, like you call myself a Christian but consider my self a work in progress. The super rich preachers are for the most part scammers and nasty pieces of work. Remember Oral Roberts “if y’all don’t send me $x million then Jesus is gonna call me home”. That mother fornicator tried to make god into a hostage taking terrorist. If I recall correctly Billy Graham was the only big name TV preacher to avoid scandal.

I’m going to preface the following “my opinion and $5 will buy you a coffee”. I think god does want us to do well and prosper; through the sweat of our backs or our brains and to do so honestly and with respect for our fellow man and the world around us.

Clean money comes from hard often dirty (real dirt not underhanded BS) work.

I’d rather have a coffee or a beer with Buddy Brown than Joel Osteen and my first exposure to both men was the video you imbedded.

Last edited by GRF; 02/13/24. Reason: Punctuation
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of that, what was Billy Grahams net worth?

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GRF
I’d rather have a coffee or a beer with Buddy Brown than Joel Osteen and my first exposure to both men was the video you imbedded.

Good choice.

Sharing a meal or a drink with Osteen would be like having dinner with the devil.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Supposedly quite a bit. I think it would be more meaningful to know exactly how he used that wealth, and I do not know the answer.

Don't be the darkness.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Im one of the defenders of Lakewood.

Osteen is personable and thats a good trait. He also knows how to make money. Thats not a negative at all. Both and to include Christianity can all go hand in hand.

Granted I've never listened to him more than a few times many years ago and his message then was ok enough to me.

What I look for is how a church represents. Not opening during the hurricane. IMHO that was a wrong decision.

Yet I know and am around a number of Lakewood members at least once a year as they try to plant seeds to spread the gospel.

I think that speaks well of the church as a whole. I don't base this only one what folks see from Osteen. I base this on the actions of the members.

Is what it is I suppose.

And I suppose I should listen to him again. His sermons. Not just a few selectively chosen clips floating around.

As to how folks handle things, years in EMS and Fire I've seen folks cry for no reason. I tend to fall into that category myself. I see folks joking and laughing at bad times. I"ve been called on that one on some scenes and not even know I was doing it. I certainly won't gauge something from one interview.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well said rost495.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joel Osteen is not a Christian, and his building is not a church. Once one comes to terms that that truth, the easier it is to understand the Olsteens.

Who can forget this gem.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Joel Osteen is not a Christian, and his building is not a church. Once one comes to terms that that truth, the easier it is to understand the Olsteens.

Who can forget this gem.

Not the way I would have wanted to word that. But I understand, or think I do, what she meant and it is true. God doesn't want us unhappy and sad. We are to enjoy this life. Be happy. Spread the gospel. Not shove it down others throats. But plant the seed and nuture if possible.

This is a church that I dont' need to go to because it does not fit me. But what I need does not fit many either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I guess god never hears the prayers of folks in a small one room church.

Opulence means holiness I suppose. Been that way forever.

Osky

Last edited by Osky; 02/13/24.

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Didn't she[ms Olsteen] go bonkers one time when flying with the peasants?

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
from what i read , Billy Graham at death was worth about 25 million dollors .chump change compared to olsteen . dollor ,or kenneth copeland with about 760 million dollors , just for copeland ..but Graham had way more than most of us will ever have.compared to my granpa in West Virginia ,who as a coal miner in the 40'50's built at his cost a very small church in his back yard and preached to about 10 to 20 people every sunday till he was killed in the coal mines in 1958 . he made no money from it ,he died poor , but it was what he believed in

NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Holsteins is a con man like Jim and Tammy Fay Baker. Most likely has an air conditioned dog house. A good talker.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Raeford

She’s got crazy eyes.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Osky

She’s got crazy eyes.

Osky

Yes, she did. Claimed she was too good to fly anything less than first class. Now, they have a private jet.

Always thunk she was unattractive.

Osteen’s are not fooling God. They are only fooling & cheating themselves.

Last edited by Reloder28; 02/13/24.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

Who can forget this gem.

Self worship is idolatry. To God goes the glory, not self.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Osky

She’s got crazy eyes.

Osky

Yes, she did. Claimed she was too good to fly anything less than first class. Now, they have a private jet.

Always thunk she was unattractive.

Osteen’s are not fooling God. They are only fooling & cheating themselves.

I feel confident that they feel that God solved this problem for them.

FJB & FJT
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I suppose being a fallen, doubting Thomas disqualifies me from peanut gallery remarks..but I do have feelings for the millions of common folks that just need a little hope, and a kind guiding word to help them through this vale of tears... and end up seeking hope and guidance from self appointed interpreters of Christian principles whom always seem to do quite well financially coincidentally. From the outside looking in, it looks like following the commandments and the good ol' golden rule, we could navigate this vale of tears without sky pilots, prophets and interpreters.
On the other side of the coin,I met an army chaplain one time in an overflow hospital in Camp Kue Okinawa in 1966, he seldom preached unless asked, he filled water glasses, even removed bedpans, took away meal trays, posted letters, all the stuff the overworked staff had as 2nd priority. Kidding, I asked him, what's a nice guy like you doing in a joint like this?, laughing he replied, seems this is where the work is and you guys can't get away either. My idea of a sky pilot.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1936M71, 219DW, 260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,671
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.