Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal
All;
Good morning to you all, I hope wherever this finds you that it finds you well.

I'll start with the admission that I do call myself a Christian but am very much a work in progress as to where I am in that journey. As an additional thought to that, I'm not here to convert, convince or remotely change anyone else's thoughts on Deity or the lack thereof. That's for each of you.

Also I should be clear that I've not been a fan of folks such as Joel Osteen who preach what is sometimes termed "Prosperity Gospel".

Again with full disclosure I do not read Greek or Hebrew and am not a scholar in any field. That said, in my immediate family I've got current pastors, a former pastor and a couple former missionaries, for whatever that's worth to the reader.

My purpose for posting this video then is to get other reader's opinion on Buddy's take on Joel Osteen or their take on Joel by himself.

Sometimes I've found it's good to hear other views on some issues which arise in life, but for sure sometimes I'm already set in my ways as well - there is that.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you're inclined to share on this frosty February morning.

I'm off to the shop for a wee bit of stock work and some furniture repair, so I'll check in later.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

Dwayne, Buddy is spot on concerning Osteen.

I seriously question most of the big (3-400) churches here.
And have questioned the preachers since being a young kid.

How can a man serve God, emulating Jesus, standing in front of 100
farmers, loggers, and underpaid factoryworkers, wearing a suit that costs more
than they pay for clothes in a year? Driving 3 times the car they drive, then give a sermon on tithing?

Looking around as a youngster, I saw two kinds of preachers.

The above,

and the ones who lived like their congregation.
Often they were carpenters, or mechanics on the side. With the side
being most of their income.

Some worship money, so they hold Osteen's wealth in high regard.
See it as the scoreboard of a job well done.
I don't see how anyone who begs hard working people for money can
do it while living a life those folks only see on TV.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tell that to these Christians.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I guess Jesus told Billy that it would be fine to invade Cambodia.

No, I think it was William Westmoreland who gave the OK.

The way I remember it...Nixon never called any of us E-3s and E-4's, nor did Westy, maybe Nixon called Billy and Billy had the good tactical sense to put a stamp of approval on Operation Breakfast(love them B-52s)...but everyone was awful glad when the decision was made to go into Cambodia and rip up the NVA bases the Peoples Army were operating from...in complete safety because of a line on a map.

My brother was an E-5 at the time, he went in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Proverbs 15:27
Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household, but he who hates bribes will live.

Proverbs 28:6
Better is a poor man who walks in his integrity than a rich man who is crooked in his ways.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I worked with Kevin Combs, his plumber brother in law. He was smart to marry one of Joel’s sisters. He works for Lakewood now.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The prosperity gospel is not the gospel of the Holy Bible, not by a long shot. Osteen is fooling millions of people, but he won't and can't fool God.
I had no idea that teaching to do your best actually got a name like prosperity bible.

Read up quite a bit on this. Appreciate your post.

Like a lot of things at the moment have decided that parts of this are good and fine and other parts are not. Just like most all churches and life basically.

Gonna think some more. But at the onset have a hard time deciding if I can't do my best and share it, then where should I draw the line?

Obviously Osteen and a lot of others have higher lines than I do.

Gonna have a long talk with a pastor when I get back to Alaska too. For grins.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Simply put, this “prosperity gospel” teaches that God wants believers to be physically healthy, materially wealthy, and personally happy. They totally leave out the suffering, persecution, and slander Christians will endure in their lives. This "name it and claim it" gospel is a fraud.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Simply put, this “prosperity gospel” teaches that God wants believers to be physically healthy, materially wealthy, and personally happy. They totally leave out the suffering, persecution, and slander Christians will endure in their lives. This "name it and claim it" gospel is a fraud.

^^^^^You are correct!^^^^^

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Politicians and preachers riding the gravy train, with poor gullible people shoveling the coal. Too lazy to ever work for a living!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The "word of faith" teachers go much further than that (and that is essentially what guys like Osteen and Copeland are)...they characterize God as a force of nature that we can manipulate with our words and our own will. They may as well be endorsing satan worship.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Truth!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Truth!

Boil Osteen down to simple language?

"The more you give me, the more God gives you.
So give me more."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Speaking of that, what was Billy Grahams net worth?

I'm not sure what his worth was . However, he was about 100 when he died. If he had invested $1000 per year for 80 yrs. and gained 7% , it would have compounded to almost $4,000,000. His family bought land in the foot hills of North Carolina ,and likely during the depression, and possibly bought it for a dollar an ac. Take that 100 ac.? and what is it worth now?? $1,000,000? I bet he was no fool when it came to saving, instead of drinking, smoking, getting drunk driving tickets and divorces..... Not pointing at anyone,, just saying. Some invest , some don't, and when it comes to compound interest, those who understand it, earn it, those who don't ,pay it.
Billy Graham was worth 25 million dollors when he died

NRA Life Member
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GRF
I’d rather have a coffee or a beer with Buddy Brown than Joel Osteen and my first exposure to both men was the video you imbedded.
I'd rather have a coffee or a beer with Dwayne. Preferably right there in Okanagan falls!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus came to live a life of example, not to subjugate humanity ~ that's man's religion.

He lived a simple and sharing and profound life, always loving and inclusive, and He left simple but profound teachings on how to live life in this world, keeping one’s spiritual health no matter what worldly issues affect us. When the spirit of whoever follows Him continues on, all worldly affects are dissolved...pleasure, pain, justice, injustice, works, sin, desires, lamentations, money and possessions... and man’s religion...all worldly institutions are left behind.

He created something brand new ~ a totally different way of approaching life. Within the context of a brand new covenant that says "Your sin is paid for, now live a life that reflects the love and forgiveness of God as you mirror that in your love and forgiveness of the people around you." A personal relationship with your Creator. No need for ANY mediators.

I believe in Jesus’ life of example. I feel the Holy Spirit that connects all of His followers. And no matter what happens in this life, the white light will come at the end and lead the spirit of whoever puts their trust and confidence in Him alone, to God.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider

The "word of faith" teachers go much further than that (and that is essentially what guys like Osteen and Copeland are)...they characterize God as a force of nature that we can manipulate with our words and our own will. They may as well be endorsing satan worship.

And there is the correct answer !

None of these TV preachers are Christians, they have all been corrupted and have sold their souls long before we heard of them, now their work is to corrupt the rest of you

My only question is ... I see Osteens arena full of people and wonder ... Who are these mindless mendicants who follow a false prophet without question .... and give him their money ?

Stupidity is obviously a synonymn for deaf, dumb & blind.... but still ...

Who the fk is giving Osteen money ? What sort of retardation are we dealing with ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone seeks....a god.

Some find it in sports, fame, money...

Osteen and other huge church preachers tap into the seekers who have no
foundation. They see legitimacy in the huge building, enormous congregation...
They follow him, because he takes an easy path.

I call them feel good churches.
See, be seen, leave feeling righteous because you went to church.

You see far fewer big churches where the pastor stands up there and bears down
on adultery, drinking, being lazy at work, cheating people, greed, calling homosexuality what it is.......
The ones who find your weakness and get you squirming into Heaven.

Far fewer people want to hear the hard truth.
They are happy to bleed money to a charlatan, in return for being told they
are "Good", and basically getting (In their mind) Tickets toHeaven.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/QOR9XFe638o?si=4lXYRLMLkod9V_rm[/video]

Can’t get a short to embed..

Ron White on Osteen.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I laugh when I think of J. Osteen and the huge Lakewood (formerly the Summit) and remember his old man's church right next door to the Moulin Rouge strip bar on Winkler in Pasadena. Hoping the old man made it to Heaven, but not so sure where Joel is gonna wind up...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully folks won’t let the likes of Joel Osteen or Kenneth Copeland or Benny Hinn or Jimmy Swaggert dissuade them from the truth of Christianity.

You get a bad haircut, you go to a different barber. You don’t just stop gettin’ haircuts altogether. You have a bad experience with a doctor, you go to a different doctor. You don’t just stop goin’ to the doctor altogether.

Hopefully folks will look to Jesus alone, and to a single event that took place on a hill outside the walls of Jerusalem.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 1,755 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.