Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smallfry
What is this thread about, seriously?
It's about the controversy regarding whether or not it's a good idea for those who carry a concealed handgun to install an electronic device on it with the intent that it be used as its sight.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by smallfry
What is this thread about, seriously?
It's about the controversy regarding whether or not it's a good idea for those who carry a concealed handgun to install an electronic device on it with the intent that it be used as its sight.

Or, it is a conversation about choosing to make the effort to be more effective in a critical engagement. There is no controversy only rationalizations.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
In todays world, I think that you need to be prepared for, & capable of, an engagement at greater distance that 10 feet.................that distance implies a very up close & personal threat, but today, threats that you are highly likely to encounter, are not just limited to a robbery attempt or an up-close & personal assault attempt.

Mackay has written extensively about carrying a gun that you are capable & confident with taking into a variety of situations (not a mouse gun) & I'm firmly in that camp no matter what type of sight you choose to use.

My EDC guns all reflect that philosophy.

YMMV

MM
It's no trick to make lethal hits at 25 yards with a service sized handgun, or a compact version of one, using standard sights.

That depends on how down in size you want to go with what you call a compact.

Example:

M&P 2.0 Compact is a different gun than the M&P 9c, yet most people would call both a compact, ditto for a G19 & a G26.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I can, unsupported, make pie-plate-sized groups at 25 yards with my Glock 26.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about at some reasonable level of speed? At 50 yards?

MM

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Hawkeye

Have you ever used a pistol outside of a range?

Not asking about shooting a person.

Have you ever used one in a real world application like shooting a wild animal or a dangerous dog?

Last edited by Hypocrite; 02/13/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One of the things I have learned at my age, is that right answers for one person are not right answers for another. As an example an imbecile cannot learn calculus. Let's look a the facts, people buy guns everyday, they try them out and then set them aside until they need them. Some put red dots on them, and shoot them and set them aside until they need them. Something goes bump in the night, they pick up their red dot or non red dot gun and prepare to defend themselves. Odds are the red dot gun if they can find the dot is better in the dark but guess what, the old laser that we hate from an old insight weapons system is just as good or better. However the laser is passé. Who knows what we will be arguing about in 10 years! All of this to say the key to convincing people is to show results and not pee on their legs and call them stupid. Most of the folks on here are intelligent, thoughtful and reasonable, but there are a few that you wonder why they bother to post anything. There are many on the fire that bluster and act butt hurt if you disagree with them, you have to wonder what they are trying to accomplish by antagonizing people? Do they really think they can help someone by calling them stupid? Sadly at my age if I pull a pistol looking at the iron sights is probably faster than trying to learn something new, OTOH I am working up to buying an EPS carry for one of my guns, maybe I will convince myself to buy more!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I can, unsupported, make pie-plate-sized groups at 25 yards with my Glock 26.

So can by grandmother, it just takes her longer

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
How about at some reasonable level of speed? At 50 yards?

MM
As I said earlier, for that I'd like a red dot.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
Hawkeye

Have you ever used one in a real world application like shooting a wild animal or a dangerous dog?
I've taken a handgun along on rifle hunting trips a few times.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Hawkeye

That’s a no.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Hawkeye

That’s a no.
Do cottontails with an S&W Model 17 pass muster? LOL. Did that quite a bit. I can remembr some long shots. Nothing but the factory adjustable sights.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I went pig hunting tonight, had my Glock 21.5 with the red dot and light on my side. Mag full of Lost River 250 grain flat points. If I ever get a pig come running at me, I want that dot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmm, apparently a red dot isn't the be all and end all for accuracy. This guy fired multiple shots at a handcuffed individual sitting in a car and missed him completely.

Relax, red dot disciples, I'm just messin' with you... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
nobody showed him how to turn it on

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
nobody showed him how to turn it on

Good thing!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
He never once saw the dancing red ball, probably never really saw thru the little tv screen. What with the devastation and pain of that falling acorn, a highly trained officer of the law was lucky to get his firearm clear of the holster and start slapping the trigger, firing shots in the vicinity of his squad car, all the while stuttering at his team mate and shaking like a dog chitting a peach pit.
Man, can you just imagine how the average Joe with a red dot on his pocket pistola would fare?, and toss in the mix someone might actually be shooting back or trying to do bodily harm.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Wow! What a total loser! Marquis was damned lucky.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Man, can you just imagine how the average Joe with a red dot on his pocket pistola would fare?, and toss in the mix someone might actually be shooting back or trying to do bodily harm.
Have irons? Have a dot? You’re responsible for how $hitty you shoot. That’s you, that’s your responsibility. Can’t shoot well with a dot? That’s because you suck. Can’t shoot well with irons? That’s you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
He never once saw the dancing red ball, probably never really saw thru the little tv screen. What with the devastation and pain of that falling acorn, a highly trained officer of the law was lucky to get his firearm clear of the holster and start slapping the trigger, firing shots in the vicinity of his squad car, all the while stuttering at his team mate and shaking like a dog chitting a peach pit.

A West Point graduate, Army Officer, and in Special Forces. Now a police officer. Errr, he was a police officer, he resigned his position.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.