-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have several new rifles to work up loads for, am going to start weighing cases, etc. Just can't face that with a balance beam.<BR>Anyone have any opinions on which of the electronic scales is the best, for the price, or the best period? and a good source. Thanks for the help. IIFID

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIFID,I have the new Pact wonder reloader with the powder despenser and scale and it works fine for weighing powder charges.It should its expensive.Kind of neet just pushing a button and watching it all happen.But I also have a RCBS 505 scale at home.Its the big one with the dial on it.These days I think there up around $200 .I much perfer the big 505 to any electronic scale for just about any chore.be safe dave7mm

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If It Flies It Dies - I got the Hornady about 6 months ago and so far it has worked great. Midway sells them for 135.00.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a pact. It takes about 20 min of warm up before it gives consistant enough readings for reloading. It's great for weighing cases and bullets and segregating them. it also works nice as a quick check to the balance beam at the beginning of the loading session or, if the balance beam seems to act funny. BUT--about 99% of my charges when loading are done on the balance beam. Good Luck--just my report!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have had a Pact for several trouble-free years. It looks identical to the RCBS. If I had it to do over I would buy the RCBS because PACT does not have the warranty reputation RCBS does. I use the electronic scale only for sorting cases and cast bullets. The old reliable balance beam is a lot handier for weighing charges and checking the powder measure. curmudgeon

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
A year ago I purchased a electronic scale-------I started using it to find loads for one of my hunting rifles that I knew shot sub--moa-----------good grief I got flyers all over the place----I went thru 2 boxes of Partitions---1 box of Interlocks-----everything I tried seemed to fail. I changed scopes-------I wore the instructions out re-calibrating...I called the factory----tried everything they advised. In the mean time I moved all my reloading equip. into a different room. By chance-----I weighed a couple of bullets I knew were exactly on---I laid the first one in the pan it rolled as it rolled I saw the weight reading change. I picked the pan up---then I rotated it to 4 different positions setting it down very carefully--I received 4 different readings-----on a 50 gr bullet the readings varied 2 gr. I then got out my old beam scale---loaded 5 rds & bingo right back in accuracy-----NO more electric scales for me-----just something else you can't control. Since that experience I have found from others that just a change in electric current will deliver a false reading----one fella claimed that his steel roof was creating trouble. Another said his would change with temp. Now I must admit where I had this scale setting was only 3 feet from the breaker box. I consider myself VERY lucky & didn't blow something up. I complained & the company refunded my money----one of the things I was advised to do was to turn it on-----calibrate it----let it set for at least an hour----re-calibrate again then use it-----BS-----when I get the time to load & shoot--that is exactly what I want to do---not play. I will never have another one------

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
re-loader,<P>I know exactly what you mean. We have one here (an RCBS). You can put a bullet or charge on it and watch the reading continually drift - even if you don't touch the bullet, the scale, or the table it is sitting on. I have never had that problem with good beam balance. And forget about using one with an electric trickler. Ours goes completely haywire when you hit the trickle button. There may be better electronic scales out there that don't exhibit these behaviors, but I haven't personally used one.<P>------------------<BR>Stush

Stush
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the Dillon D-terminator for several months now. I find it quite easy to use and, yes, it does drift a bit, but I'm used to calibration laboratory instruments and the less expensive ones there drift as well. I like the tilted display and the large numerals; my bifocals may need replacing but the scale is still readable and it still works great. I also like the precise readout. I still use my beam scale but use it less and less as I get used to my Dillon. Ideally, the readout wouldn't drift but the lab scales price started at $1200 fifteen years ago this made the ~$165 price sound great and the re-zero easier to abide. The pan is on a platform which is supported by four columns with four individual strain gages to "average" the weight in the pan. I've moved the pan around the platform with a known mass and the readout doesn't vary once it settles from the movement. I held out for years but find I shouldn't have done so. I like it. I expect any scale in the same price range would be good, too. I like the four column platform support which probably improves the accuracy.<BR>batch

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I am going to get one, still not sure which, probably can not go too wrong.<P>Batch, is it just the Dillon that has the 4 post supports or do they all have them?<P>I have weighed gold and diamonds for years on electronic scales---1 carat diamond is 1/5 gram. Would have to use fingers and toes to convert to grains. But anyone who uses electronic or balance scales in the open air so to speak, had to expect some "movement" from time to time, from air currents. Usually is obvious what the weight is supposed to be.<P>Thanks again all. Good Shooting.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only one of which I have certain knowledge is the Dillon. I've been told the original manufacurer but I forget so I won't speculate again. It seems to be better at holding zero now, after a good warmup, but even before, it's not bad. Could be the cold in the garage exacerbates the problem but I hate to heat my garage above 55 or so. Breakup is here so it will be less and less a problem. We do so enjoy summers here, all three weeks.<BR>batch

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Try the Autoscale now sold by Lyman. The scale part is a balance-beam and the powder is dispensed electrically. Very accurate, no drift and speedy enough for my needs. I have had mine since they came out, no problems at all. And it's all in one unit.

If Elmer didn't say it,

it probably ain't true.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Pact from Cabela's (about $120.00 then). I love the darn thing, unless I don't follow the instructions in the manual. Electronic scales are very accurate, but you must pay attention and follow the instructions.<P>For example, the one I have is very sensitive to temperature changes, and even air movement around it. I am not talking about air from "passing gas", but a breeze from an open door, window, etc.<P>I find a very solid place on the bench, away from air drafts. Then I let it warm to the ambient temperature in the room (20 to 30 minutes). Then I calibrate it according to instructions. If it shows an "Errr" on the screen, it means that something has happened and caused an error condition. At that time I re-calibrate the scale again. However, if the scale is warmed according to instructions and then calibrated, as long as it does not shake or a breeze is present you should not have any problems.<p>[This message has been edited by Ray (edited April 28, 2001).]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used the RCBS Powder Pro and the Dillon D-Terminator for a few years now without any complaints. The Powder Pro is exactly the same scale as the Pact Digital Precision. (Pact make the Powder Pro for RCBS.)<P>Both the Pact and RCBS scales have a 1500 grain capacity, which makes them great for weighing brass, bullets, completed rounds and so on. The Dillon has a 1200 grain maximum capacity and can be used with battery (standard 9v) or household current.<P>The Pact and RCBS scales have the infrared port that will communicate with either the RCBS or Pact digital powder measures or the electronic trickler marketed by RCBS.<P>Pact also makes the BBK II, 750 grain capacity, that also uses battery or household power. I don't have any personal experience with this scale, but those who use it are satisfied with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (280ACKIMP, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 56 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,496
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.