Print Thread
Hop To
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Been thinking of doing some house cleaning. The last two years of deer season I've done things a little differently than my normal pick what couple of rifles I want to take to the camp and go. Instead I picked only rifles 35caliber and larger for the season two years ago and only rifles of 30 caliber and smaller this past season. It's taught me a few lessons. Here are a couple. First, I didn't like it but I stuck to it. Secondly I truly realized that I have a few too many in the heard. So, I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my Marlins and one of my Rugers. Bear with me as I use y'all for a sounding board and get your opinions.

First I'm gonna get rid of a couple of AR-15s. I'm certain of that because I don't hunt with them and I still have more. Secondly, I'm giving very serious thought to getting rid of my 1894in 41mag. It's an "FG" that I converted to a straight stock. In all the years I've had it it might have been hunted five times and its in like new condition. And if it goes down the road then ill get rid of my Blackhawk 41mag with a 4-5/8" bbl. It's all set up in a western holster and belt. Then I would have to get rid of the 41mag components. I realize that I could never replace it but to tell the truth I would just as soon have a 44mag. I just bought the 41 to be different than anyone else at the range or at the çamp. One problem is clear, I don't know where to began pricing the 1894. Maybe I'll sell it as a combo.

So what do y'all think?

Goat

Last edited by Goat; 02/14/24.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do you still have the parts to convert it back to pistol grip? Those being relatively scarce would make me believe it would ring more in its original configuration.

I’m all for simplifying and getting stuff you’ll use and enjoy. I don’t often get rid of firearms but I think at times I should, mainly due to disuse and my changing tastes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing wrong with downsizing, it helps clear the road for future expansion(s).

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I also have a 1894 FG in 41 mag. It cost $500 at Sportsman's the year it was made.

I have not seen one sell for less than $1000 on Gunbroker in several years.

And then there's this one:https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1033053059

Here is a whole page, up to five grand apparently.But just cause they are asking, does not mean they are getting. Lots of zero bids on these listings.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=Marlin%201894%2041

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Getting a bit older now and thinking of downsizing some also. The Kids and grandkids(for now) don't have much interest. Far too many hunting rifles and shying away from the big bores as just not necessary to take down whitetails. I find with well placed shots from my 243AI will do just fine. Keep them if you enjoy shooting them or clear some out.

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Tough decisions

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking the same thing with my Pedersoli 45-70 SXS.

Making room for something that will get used sounds easy but it's like losing an old friend.

Definitely a tough decision.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
An 1894 in 41 Mag came through the Cabelas gun library here about a year ago. Was an older one from the first run in 41 mag. Sold in about a week for $1500 plus tax. I wanted it but not for that much. Maybe if it wasn’t a micro-groove barrel.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Goat
Been thinking of doing some house cleaning. The last two years of deer season I've done things a little differently than my normal pick what couple of rifles I want to take to the camp and go. Instead I picked only rifles 35caliber and larger for the season two years ago and only rifles of 30 caliber and smaller this past season. It's taught me a few lessons. Here are a couple. First, I didn't like it but I stuck to it. Secondly I truly realized that I have a few too many in the heard. So, I'm thinking of getting rid of one of my Marlins and one of my Rugers. Bear with me as I use y'all for a sounding board and get your opinions.

First I'm gonna get rid of a couple of AR-15s. I'm certain of that because I don't hunt with them and I still have more. Secondly, I'm giving very serious thought to getting rid of my 1894in 41mag. It's an "FG" that I converted to a straight stock. In all the years I've had it it might have been hunted five times and its in like new condition. And if it goes down the road then ill get rid of my Blackhawk 41mag with a 4-5/8" bbl. It's all set up in a western holster and belt. Then I would have to get rid of the 41mag components. I realize that I could never replace it but to tell the truth I would just as soon have a 44mag. I just bought the 41 to be different than anyone else at the range or at the çamp. One problem is clear, I don't know where to began pricing the 1894. Maybe I'll sell it as a combo.

So what do y'all think?

Goat

never saw the draw to the Marlin 41 mag

44 is much more common & more effective with better boolit selections

Marlin 41 brings crazy prices

Lurk around here at Marlin Owners..you'll get pricing ideas

https://www.marlinowners.com/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
pic.....

my Marlin 45 Colt Cowboy chopped to 16"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I want some Waffle House

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

432 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.