-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you know cask conditioning is a “ live” brew.

Every morning most pubs “ pull” off the settled yeast from the casks.

There was a chain of pubs that sold pints from short dated casks at a discount.

Like the band ly nerd skinnerd, it was named after a teacher that told the owners of the pubs they would fail in life. ( I can’t recall it’s name)

There also was a lobby group in Britain CAMRA…..Campaign for real ale……that made it law not to short the pints served with too much foam. That’s why there are marks on British pint 🍺 glasses.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/14/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I do know it's live. I'm reasonably well informed on the subject of beer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Old__School
Originally Posted by mathman
Methinks "1982! Wow!" does not mean what you think it means.

Whether a hobby or profession, 40 years IS a significant period of time to devote to something. Regardless of what ANYONE says.

It is, unless you're practicing mistakes. Not sayin you specifically are......just sayin'.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
three more. I think nitrocheme is supplier to reloader swiss retail

nitrocheme ---Alliant - Reload Swiss

Nitrocheme – 145 == RL-17 - reload swiss 60
Nitrocheme – 170 == RL-33
Nitrocheme – 155 == RL-26

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I started in 1972. Now that I’ve got the basics down, I would like to move on to some really cool stuff!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was about 1989 when I went down that rabbit hole.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Accurate 2230 and Ramshot X Terminator.
I think. Data is exactly the same.
F01

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I started in 1966, loading 45 ACP. Friend's dad had a 1911 AND a genuine "Chicago Typewriter". He'd let us shoot them (with adult supervision), but we had to provide our own ammo, so he taught us how to reload. Sometimes one of our dads would take us to buy components at a couple of LGS's, but other times we rode our bicycles. Imagine 11 and 12 y/o kids doing that today. We usually did our reloading on Friday nights, and my friend and I would load for hours, sometimes all night, on a Rockchucker. The sizer was a standard non-carbide, so it took a lot of time cleaning lube off the brass with old rags. Then on the appointed Saturday, one or both of our dads would take us somewhere (often our farm) where we'd shoot it all up in a couple of hours. Then we'd go home and clean them thoroughly. We burned a lot of HP-38, Unique, and Bullseye through those two weapons.

Our parents didn't give us money to buy components with, we had to earn it ourselves. Both of us had multiple side-jobs, besides normal chores. Bought my own tools in 1969.

Last edited by Skeezix; 02/14/24. Reason: clarity

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That'll work!

Which is kinda what major powder companies do after producing a new lot. They save some of the previous lots that were faster or slower-burning than the ideal they were, uh, "aiming" for. They test the new batch, then if it's not within 2-3% of the burn-rate desired, they mix in some of the older batches to adjust the burn-rate.

This obviously is easier to do when the powder's been in production for a while, so there are more previous batches. When Hodgdon started offering the IMR Endurons a while ago (primarily due to a shortage in the supply of the Australian-made Extremes), they sent me some 1-2 pound samples of various powders to try. One of them was IMR4451, which was designed to approximate H4350. I was impressed enough to order an 8-pounder from a website, but it resulted in around an 80 fps difference in the same loads. So I mixed the first batch into the 8-pounder, and it resulted in velocities closer to their published data.
Was going to post this cautionary story anyway John, but it's so germane to your post above I'll just put it here.
Back before Covid, I bought a pound of IMR 4451, found it to be everything you were saying it was, so followed up with an 8# jug. Just recently did some load work for a friend using .243W Nosler brass, the 95 gr BT, and your load from the "Little Book" of 42 gr 4451, which gave just under 3100 FPS from the 1 pound lot. Used up the last of the 1# in the process and had to go to the 8#. Did a little rework up ladder with the new lot to the old 42 grain charge. Was stunned to see only 2900 FPS with the new lot from the 8# jug. That's by far the biggest lot-to-lot variation (200 FPS, with everything else about the loads identical) I've ever encountered. One more data point to always back off and re-check charges when going to a new lot of even the SAME powder, much less the substitutions being described in this thread - this happened to get slower, but it could just as easily been on the faster side and dangerous.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's important to note that while W760, H414 and Accurate 2700 are the same powders now, that's not the case with the older stuff. They were very close in burn rate but physically quite different. For a time before it was dc'd, H414 was 760. I think Hodgden made a marketing fumble by dc'ing the H414 moniker.

Good shootin' smile

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Fury01
Accurate 2230 and Ramshot X Terminator.
I think. Data is exactly the same.
F01

In January of 2023, I questioned Hodgdon if these were the same powder.
They replied they were made in different plants.
Some applications they are identical in performance, such as the 223. Some applications slight differences begin to show up. They named the 338 Federal as an example of where that happens.

Last edited by ldmay375; 02/14/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Skeezix
I started in 1966, loading 45 ACP. Friend's dad had a 1911 AND a genuine "Chicago Typewriter". He'd let us shoot them (with adult supervision), but we had to provide our own ammo, so he taught us how to reload. Sometimes one of our dads would take us to buy components at a couple of LGS's, but other times we rode our bicycles. Imagine 11 and 12 y/o kids doing that today. We usually did our reloading on Friday nights, and my friend and I would load for hours, sometimes all night, on a Rockchucker. The sizer was a standard non-carbide, so it took a lot of time cleaning lube off the brass with old rags. Then on the appointed Saturday, one or both of our dads would take us somewhere (often our farm) where we'd shoot it all up in a couple of hours. Then we'd go home and clean them thoroughly. We burned a lot of HP-38, Unique, and Bullseye through those two weapons.

Our parents didn't give us money to buy components with, we had to earn it ourselves. Both of us had multiple side-jobs, besides normal chores. Bought my own tools in 1969.

As noted earlier I also started on 1966--but was the first handloader in the family. A next-door neighbor (and good friend and co-worker of my father) handloaded, but he basically did it to save money. The only rifle round he loaded was the .30-06, for his "sporterized" 1903-A3 Springfield.

I bought a "war surplus" Mosin-Nagant rifle for $10 and he helped me sporterize it, but I had to order a Lee Loader (the hand tool) and Norma brass from a local store, the Powder Horn in Bozeman, Montana--where I was born and raised. It was also only three blocks from our house, which was handy. Also bought my first bullets, powders and primers from the Powder Horn, but my first two loading manuals.--both of which I still have. The first was the Speer #6, which I bought without checking whether it included the 7.62 "Russian." It did not, which is why I have a Lyman manual from the same year.

Not long afterward bought a Marlin bolt-action 20-gauge, and also used a Lee Loader for it, which worked well.

Paid for all of it with my paper-route money.....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
No clue exactly when I started. I know it was in my teens and still in school. Very likely about the late 70s.

It doesn't matter much. Still learn every day. And some never learn no matter the years.
This ^^

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
It's important to note that while W760, H414 and Accurate 2700 are the same powders now, that's not the case with the older stuff. They were very close in burn rate but physically quite different.

Good shootin' smile

At one time, that was also the case with MRP & RL-22.

And I still have both powders from that vintage.

MRP was darker, fully cylindrical kernels while '22 was flatter, more irregular & lighter in color.

But then, as now, I loaded their charge weights interchangeably, at least in 270, 280, 3006 & 338's.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curious, I thought that 3100 when it came out was the same as 4831. True? Or not?
Military surplus 4831

Last edited by Bugger; 02/14/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And as I noted in an earlier post, a few years ago my batches of MRP and RL-22 appeared identical--and produced the same velocities in all my tests. Which is why I eventually mixed 'em....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll mention this again, I used a clearance powder that was "2 grains faster than 4350" . Each lot # was different . I would workup and when I hit my rifle's happy velocity, I had my new load.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try to learn from everyone I ever worked with. Sometimes the guy who has been doing it for 30 years methods aren't as good as the guy who just started six months ago.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, partly because those who started 30+ years ago "learned" things that weren't true--one good example being "pressure signs."

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Old__School
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Glad to hear that. In my time shooting Hi Power, while on the shooting line, I had two rifles let go, one two points down from me. Exciting has all the foreend parts landed near us. The grapevine later explained the shooter had loaded what was supposed to be a powder exactly the same as he had been using. Hearsay I know, but I don`t take anything for granted.

Oh I hear ya'. I've been hand-loading rifle cartridges since 1982.

Retired engineer now, and spend more time hand-loading. I find the application of statistical methods such as confidence intervals, ANOVA (Analysis Of Variance), statistical hypothesis testing has helped me get more consistent results in my load development. Moreover, some of these more elegant approaches to load development has helped me abandon loads that were not repeatable/reliable.

I forget sometimes many here have never taken off their training wheels.

> another WOW !!!! been loading and reloading since 1979 , still learning and 24 hr. Campfire has help some too . training wheels ? bring your rifle over i will show you just how an old blue collared worker can shoot his blue collared rifle with my simple blue collared handloads shoot and i will do it with just an old Ruger #1 too.

/i wi

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 32 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,021
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.