Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I used Reloder 22, Magnum, and IMR 7828, H1000.
Magnum worked the best, lowest pressure with most velocity and best groups. Still, mid 70's is way too high for me.
But for some, that's just getting started good ! laugh

Thanks for the intel Charlie.

For the initial shot, it seems too easy to neck up to 30 and then false shoulder them.
This is how I do it, as well.

Yep. Simple solution.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Smallfry; Sounds like you need a Bergara B14 in Hunter or Ridge. They have 24" barrels. Mod 700 Clone, good rifles.

They certainly are. My son uses a 7mm Rem Mag Bergara. Excellent accuracy. I worked up a fast load with IMR 8133 (discontinued now doggone it) and the Hornady 150 gr ELD-X.

Really nice accuracy and flat shooting too.

Guy

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jason280
I've always been a big fan of 7mm's, the first deer rifle I ever bought was a 700 Mtn Rifle in .280. Since then, I've added 7mm TCU's, 7x57's, 7mm-08's, and a couple 7mm Rem Mag. Haven't gotten too interested in the newer PRC cartridges, just don't offer me anything I couldn't do with a Rem Mag (or even a .280 for that matter).
Only reason for a new 7, IE the PRC is the inherent accuracy. The 7 Rem Mag over the years has consistently been known to throw weird flyers at long range. Not often, but often enough to make one leery of using it if you shoot it to its ability.

Nothing much new on speeds is going to come. Powders are basically the best they can be. Bullet shapes are the best. Now the case vs burn to get the inherent accuracy can be shape, powder column, percentage full, and then how the reamer is designed.

The only way we get more speed anymore is by going larger and shorten barrel life or run up pressure like the sig fury thing.

As to factory speeds, thats been known that they inflate for the most part. I never buy assuming I can get to whats advertised.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bwinters
My other immediate thought is his discussion on COAL of the various cartridges. He claims all of them are "handicapped" because of 3.34" COAL. He opines they reach their full potential at 3.6 or 3.7 COAL. Using a modified Homer Powley spreadsheet, the difference in case capacity in a 7 RM between 3.34 and 3.6 COAL using a Nosler 175 ABLR is 4.3 grains. Using Homer's speed calculation, which I modified a bit to match actual velocities, this difference is 38 ft/sec. Using 3.7 COAL, the differences are 5.9 grains increase case capacity and 52 ft/sec. And I'm not aware if a Rem M700 can actually contain a 3.7 COAL in its mag. Maybe, I've never tried it and its been 15+ years since I owned a Rem 700.

I'm all about maximizing case efficiency but I'm not sure I'd sweat those differences.

The 700 has been chambered for many long action cartridges including 7mm STW, 300 H&H, 300 Wea.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 257Bob
"Just don't try to blow smoke up someones azz by saying the belt is a problem on a cartridge" - well, they actually are! They headspace on the belt, not the preferred shoulder and they take up space in the magazine and "can" impede feeding from said mag. I have no plans to sell my 7mm RM but when lots of $$$ (at least for me) is on the line for a new build, I chose the 7 PRC.

I have several belted mags in the safe, including 7mm STW, two 7 RM, and a 264 Win mag.

NONE of them headspace on the belt.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by mathman
That's what I'd rather not need to do.
I would also rather not need to. smile

It is not just belted mags which get false shoulders formed on virgin brass.

I prefer to and often buy brass which needs necked down before use.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I’m with you. I’ve just seen the worst headspace and case head stretch on belted cases.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For another potential heartbreaker, measure a factory load for your favorite belted mag with your comparitor and then measure the same case after you fire it. (Helps if you use the same comparitor.) I have seen some high dollar rifles with really long chambers, from the belt to the shoulder. Not much of a problem if one shoots and then leaves the brass on the ground. One of the newer premium brass guys was making 300 Win and I believe 7MM Rem brass with a bit longer base to shoulder measurement to address this.

Elevation is math
Windage is Voodoo
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
When I started handloading for a belted magnum, I picked up a Wilson headspace gauge. The gauges for belted cartridges are adjustable. Take a fired (1x or 2x) unsized brass and adjust the gauge to that brass. Voila, there is your chamber blueprint (at least close enough) to adjust your die so you headspace on the shoulder.

Yeah, yeah hear it all the time about no big deal loading for belted brass, but given a choice, no thanks. No choice? Sure, no problem.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’m with you. I’ve just seen the worst headspace and case head stretch on belted cases.

Same here. 300 Wins and 7 Rem's from my little corner. Once I was learned to neck em up one caliber and size to fit, stretch and such has mostly become a thing of past.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pavementends
For another potential heartbreaker, measure a factory load for your favorite belted mag with your comparitor and then measure the same case after you fire it. (Helps if you use the same comparitor.) I have seen some high dollar rifles with really long chambers, from the belt to the shoulder. Not much of a problem if one shoots and then leaves the brass on the ground. One of the newer premium brass guys was making 300 Win and I believe 7MM Rem brass with a bit longer base to shoulder measurement to address this.

Peterson makes long brass I believe.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep, they do. Seen it for sale just recently.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Should be an interesting video. My take on the 7prc is that unless you want to shoot the heaviest highest BC match type bullets (eldm) for hunting it is nothing special compare to other 7mms. With hunting bullets - whether thicker jacket cup and core, tougher bonded bullets, or monos (even the new high bc like TA ir ablr) there is not much gain over cartridges with other advantages. I personally have no interest in using that type of bullef for hunting but for those that do and need the utmost precision at extreme range the 7prc looks great.

Several popular podcasters/influencers will droll over the BC of the 180 eldm and use that in all their ballistic comparisons with similar rounds then say use the cx load for elk hunting. While the BC of the 160 cx is high for a mono the 7prc there is not much if any gap over even on paper over lots of other stuff. Probably in the genius of hornady marketing. Sell the sizzle, not the steak

Lou

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob
"Just don't try to blow smoke up someones azz by saying the belt is a problem on a cartridge" - well, they actually are! They headspace on the belt, not the preferred shoulder and they take up space in the magazine and "can" impede feeding from said mag. I have no plans to sell my 7mm RM but when lots of $$$ (at least for me) is on the line for a new build, I chose the 7 PRC.

I have several belted mags in the safe, including 7mm STW, two 7 RM, and a 264 Win mag.

NONE of them headspace on the belt.
"I have several belted mags in the safe, including 7mm STW, two 7 RM, and a 264 Win mag". If you had a 7mm PRC, you wouldn't need the STW, RM or WM :-)

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And if you have a 30/06 you don’t need any of them grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by John55

Shhhhh....

Guy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I think the reason to buy the 7mm PRC is accuracy (hopefully), good factory ammo and maybe a cartridge that will be easier to load without some of the things for which the 7mm RM a reputation.

I don't have extensive experience with the 7mm RM. With that said, I've never gotten great velocities or accuracy with the few I've played with so have quickly lost interest. Regarding the .30-06, I've never gotten accuracy that met my expectation and that over dozens of rifles I've tried, though I do have an AI that meets my expectations. A 30-06 that is accurate with most loads is the holy grail and about as easy to find.

Those about .30-06 ballistic of the 7mm PRC (and 7mm Rem Mag) are for my hunting, pretty much perfection for much of all big game. I have high hopes for my PRC but need to spend more time wringing it out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by John55

You’d go nuts…. grin

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My experiences with 7mms are pretty limited. I have had one 7 mm mag that had a lot of pressure excursion issues and never really gave velocities close to 7 mag performance. without questionable loads. Only load it shot consistently accurate nad with out any pressure issues was with H870 and 160s . On the flip side, my 7x57 is two shots for two elk and never not ready to go hunting.................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyoming260
My experiences with 7mms are pretty limited. I have had one 7 mm mag that had a lot of pressure excursion issues and never really gave velocities close to 7 mag performance. without questionable loads. Only load it shot consistently accurate nad with out any pressure issues was with H870 and 160s . On the flip side, my 7x57 is two shots for two elk and never not ready to go hunting.................

If I still handloaded I'd have to have a 7x57 again!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 32 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,873
Posts18,478,779
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.