Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
If you have some extra coin burning a hole in your pocket, here’s one you don’t see everyday for a lefty.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...s-left-hand-375-h-h.cfm?gun_id=102460284

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Shot right hand everything entire life. Last year picked up a 1960s lh savage and realized what I've been missing...but the ckbk says I'm going to keep shoot right.lol
Nice rig!

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I passed on one about 15 years ago for $850. I had a left handed Montana 1999 375 H&H at the time and didn’t think I should buy a second 375. One of those regrets for not buying.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had one much prefer the LH Ruger 375 better balance and case design. Plus SS

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Have had both Super Safari and Safari Express in lh, preferred the handling of the SS and sold the SE. Also have the Ruger Alaskan and prefer that over either in the handling department, and I can actually use the sights where I can't on the Winchesters.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Agree with KK and tmitch. Owned both versions of the Winchesters and neither felt right in my hands. Also owned the CZ which was like swinging a club. Although it would hold 5 down which was nice. Owned a Sako for a short period. Nothing wrong with it other than the old PF vs CRF debate.
Ruger for the win if you want a factory stock 375.

If one feels adventurous buy a new Weatherby Mark 5 Backcountry rifle with the Peak 44 stock and trigger tech trigger then rebarrel to 375 H&H.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had 2 case failures in the 375 H&H or the 375 stretch & Stretch. Probably my fault had a Rem 700 375 H&H and Win 70 375 H&H different chamber sizes. Not a good feeling when a case head separates in the field.

The 375 Ruger cases last and don't stretch higher pressure seems to kick more.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I got mine in 2004, new w/o tags, for $599!

1 member likes this: 375TN
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've had two LH Safari Express and a Super Express in 375 H&H. I prefer the Super Express as the stock feels trimmer and better to me. I also think the quality was higher on the Super Express than the later Safari Express.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was out at the gun range plinking with my Safari Express a few weeks ago. I really like it a lot but I haven't had an opportunity to compare it to the other models mentioned in this thread to determine if I think one of them is even better. I don't have any specific need for a LH 375 Ruger. Still doesn't stop me from wanting to buy one anyway. grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 470Evans
I've had two LH Safari Express and a Super Express in 375 H&H. I prefer the Super Express as the stock feels trimmer and better to me. I also think the quality was higher on the Super Express than the later Safari Express.

Nice looking rifle!
Can you expand on the quality re: safari vs super?
Genuinely curious; have neither (classic stainless only). TIA.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Quality is subjective but the action on my Super Express was quite a bit smoother than either of the Safari Expresses. One of the Safari Express wouldn't feed correctly until I swamped out the extractor and the earlier bluing on the Super Express was nicer then the matte bluing on the Safari Express. When it was time to keep only one I kept the Super Express. Others may feel differently.

I will say all three shot very well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Appreciate the reply.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
LH M70’s in 375H&H are rare in the US and over here they’re very rare. Anyhow, I put a deposit down on a safe queen and hope to pick it up in a month or so after I receive my permit. It’s the Safari Express model.

I’ve had a few LH 375’s in the past:

Mauser M2000
Mauser M3000
CZ550
Zastava M70
Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger.

The Mausers are PF models made by Heym. They’re based on the SR20 and SR30 models. The M2000 is my favourite and has taken quite a bit of game. Pretty hard to beat a decent PF action for smooth, slick bolt manipulation and cartridge feeding. The M3000’s were even lighter and had Weatherby style stocks. The M3000’s were sold off and I still have the M2000.

The CZ550 is just too large an action for a 375, IMO. The rifle IMO was big and cumbersome. The stock is poorly designed and oversized everywhere (for me). I converted mine to 458 and had the stock re-modelled. Being so oversized meant there was plenty of material to re-model. After its makeover it now handles as it should have done and looks the part.

I didn’t like the Zastava at all. Too much slop in the bolt to action fit and the factory conversion was very primitive. That went down the road quite quickly. I have several other LH Zastavas that are keepers, including one that I had a gunsmith open up to H&H length using Recknagel bottom metal. They make a good basis for a LH CRF build.

The Ruger I have tried to like but the action smoothness is not a patch on any of the others. Stock dimensions and layout are good but a not so slick action is a real turn off. Maybe it’s the case design or SS construction. I read somewhere that the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger were noted for their feeding issues. I’m still trying to like the Ruger.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I finally picked up my LH M70 in 375H&H today. As mentioned above, its the Safari Express model.

First impressions are it’s a relatively heavy rifle at just over 9lbs bare. It’s been used but it’s been well looked after. I’d imagine it’s been carried more than shot judging by the finish on the floorplate. It wears a machined extractor (Williams?) and has a well executed bedding job. The action has been slicked up and it cycles well.

Comparing it to the only other LH M70 I have, a 338, there is a difference in weight and stock dimensions. The 375’s stock is thicker in the wrist and has a heavier forend. Not quite CZ550 chunky, but getting up there. The barrel profile for the 375 is the same as Winchesters in 416 and 458 - no doubt a cost saving feature so they can use the same stock for all 3 cartridges. After all, how many safari style guns would they sell?

All up I’m pleased with the purchase. Its weight will come in handy in the Big Game rifle comps that we hold locally. My lighter Mauser 2000 in 375H&H remains my go to in a carrying weight 375 rifle.

I would appreciate knowing what Zeiss and mounting system this would be. That looks like it was made for your rifle and approximates the system I've had in mind for some time. My SE was originally purchased by me and has never had the scope base screws removed. I need to rectify that.

Originally Posted by JFE
I finally picked up my LH M70 in 375H&H today. As mentioned above, its the Safari Express model.

First impressions are it’s a relatively heavy rifle at just over 9lbs bare. It’s been used but it’s been well looked after. I’d imagine it’s been carried more than shot judging by the finish on the floorplate. It wears a machined extractor (Williams?) and has a well executed bedding job. The action has been slicked up and it cycles well.

Comparing it to the only other LH M70 I have, a 338, there is a difference in weight and stock dimensions. The 375’s stock is thicker in the wrist and has a heavier forend. Not quite CZ550 chunky, but getting up there. The barrel profile for the 375 is the same as Winchesters in 416 and 458 - no doubt a cost saving feature so they can use the same stock for all 3 cartridges. After all, how many safari style guns would they sell?

All up I’m pleased with the purchase. Its weight will come in handy in the Big Game rifle comps that we hold locally. My lighter Mauser 2000 in 375H&H remains my go to in a carrying weight 375 rifle.

Glad to hear you found one. You mention the weight being over 9. My specs say 8.5 and the bare rifle scales at 8.5, although that's not a quality and calibrated scale. I actually purchased this rifle new on the rack in the late 1990's knowing it was heavier than the typical rifle, but it balances so well I had to have it.

Can anyone elaborate on the extractor? Is that an upgrade that has to be fixed, or a nice to have type item?

Has anyone ever changed out the iron sights? Mine are slightly too low for the comb, and its easier for me to change those than begin working on wood.

Thanks.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 375TN

I would appreciate knowing what Zeiss and mounting system this would be. That looks like it was made for your rifle and approximates the system I've had in mind for some time. My SE was originally purchased by me and has never had the scope base screws removed. I need to rectify that.

Sure, those are the old Kimber of Oregon Premier Bases and Rings. I believe they were designed by Lenard Brownell for Kimber. I have them on several of my rifles and think they are a good looking, quality set up. The scope is just a simple Zeiss Conquest 3x9. I have some of the newer Zeiss HD5 Scopes but they hit the rear sight as they are too long. I may have a set of the bases and rings laying around, would have to check.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 375TN
Glad to hear you found one. You mention the weight being over 9. My specs say 8.5 and the bare rifle scales at 8.5, although that's not a quality and calibrated scale. I actually purchased this rifle new on the rack in the late 1990's knowing it was heavier than the typical rifle, but it balances so well I had to have it.

Can anyone elaborate on the extractor? Is that an upgrade that has to be fixed, or a nice to have type item?

Has anyone ever changed out the iron sights? Mine are slightly too low for the comb, and its easier for me to change those than begin working on wood.

Thanks.

Mine definitely weighs just over 9lbs on our kitchen scales. That includes scope bases but they would only add a few ounces at most.

The factory extractors fitted to LH M70 rifles of that vintage were cast. Mostly they were fine but they were never going to as robust as an extractor machined from SS spring steel. In response to this perceived problem Williams produced machined extractors. Unfortunately, Williams is no longer operational.

With respect to the open sights, I think the answer is to revise the comb height and width to suit you, ie get the buttstock fitted to you by a competent stock maker. I’m considering this as I struggle to see the sights too and others have made the same comment.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.