-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
With LR primer shortage, I was wondering if you could possibly use LP primers, or LP mag primers, in rifle loads. I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I'm sure someone has experimented with this. Any thoughts?

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I just did a search, "large pistol primers I'm rifle loads"

Endless results.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have tested the thesis of using LPM on my 30-30 and 35 Rem loads. I only had CCIs which are supposedly the thickest cups from what I can find. They worked well for those 2 applications. I had no pierced primers and my SD actually shrunk. I don't know if I'd try them in my 7 mag or 220 Swift, but it worked on the lower velocity/pressure end just fine. YMMV. I'm not suggesting anyone else try it. smile

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Powder Valley has Remington 9 1/2s, for a price. Better that than a white cane……

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
With LR primer shortage, I was wondering if you could possibly use LP primers, or LP mag primers, in rifle loads. I did a search but didn't come up with anything. I'm sure someone has experimented with this. Any thoughts?

My son used some LPM primers in his 6.5 Creedmoor. If there were any adverse effects, we couldn’t see them.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Powder Valley has Remington 9 1/2s, for a price. Better that than a white cane……

I paid that price for a couple thousand. I hate it, but I'm not not going to give up shooting and I don't see components getting cheaper any time soon

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've seen a pierced primer automatically dissassemble and eject a magazine out of an M14 - likely wasn't a pistol primer. Just saying...

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've used them in the 35 Whelen to push a 158-grain pistol bullet around 1,400 fps with Unique. Wouldn't do it with full-power rifle loads.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No doubt some have done it without issue, but that’s far from being able to make the blanket statement that it’s okay from either a safety or performance standpoint. Besides the possibility of piercing, there’s also a chance of poor ignition with its attendant problems. Just seems better to me to use the right ones, even if they’re hard to source right now. They are available if you look a bit.

Might want to check with Mule Deer for his take on this; that’s what we pay him for, right?😜

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have done it many times.

All I have ever done this with is Bolt Actions and its useful and worth understanding how its done.

Using Blue Dot loads and such with Large pistol primers worked.

Even used small pistol primers for reduced pistol powder loads in .223 worked just fine.

As long as you watch what you are doing and have some experience with loading like this its just fine.

Large pistol primers were cheap at one time. Cheaper than using Large Rifle for reduced loads meant more sense then and still does.

So for reduced loads using pistol powders from Lymans Cast Bullet manual it worked perfect....everytime.

From .30-30 up to 300 Win mag reduced loads using pistol powders worked.

Even for my .243 and 70 grain bullets worked too.

Last edited by HeavyDove; 02/16/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wouldn't do it. The cup is too thin. Not worth the risk. LR primers are out there, spend the $74.99/brick if you have to.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its not for the beginning reloader that is for certain.

A chronograph was very helpful and watching for pressure signs was the norm each time I went out to try them.

Clarity first, its not for full house, max loads either just plinking.

Could it be called into hunting service.....yes, but all the things you must pay attention to still apply when reloading anyway.

In a Spanish Civil Guardia Mauser in .308 Winchester and 13 grains of red dot with a 150 grain lead or 150 fmj bullet and a large pistol primer is a ton of fun.

Have fun but always be careful.

Best
HeavyDove

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ummm, pops - I have plenty of primers for ya. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, thanks guys. I got the information and guidance I needed.

WN

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have recently purchased CCI 41 mil spec SRP online and seen CCI 34 mil spec LRP. Ten cents a pop plus haz mat.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have used small magnum pistol primers in a reduced load .223's with 55 grain bullets. I used a minimum load of IMR3031. No pressure signs and no pierced primers. I use those loads for when the grandkids go to the range with me. I tested them first before letting one of the grands come close to the rifle. I feel confident with the load. But, I wouldn't do it with a full load of 3031.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by SKane

Ummm, pops - I have plenty of primers for ya. smile
\\
Ya, Skane, sometimes ya got to watch dad . We found out my dad was buying diesel engine oil for his lawn mower, and maybe his car.. Dad never owned a diesel in his life.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/18/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (21, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.