Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Ballistic Tips will be a fuzz "tougher" since they have a solid base.

Not really.

The forward construction of that bullet is very light.

Shoot a 55gr NBT into a water jug and all you'll have is the 11 grain base. Everything forward of that will vaporize. And that's with a 16" 1/9 twist barrel.
Yep. Have killed tons of coyotes with them. Mainly from a 22-250 and 26" barrel so velocities were a good bit better than a 223.

Generally an exit of the base unless shoulders were hit. Rarely an exit with a V-Max or Blitzking.

Don't seem to get as much flying goo from smaller feathered and fuzzy critters as much from a Ballistic Tip either.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/16/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by scottprice
Originally Posted by steve4102
You are not just using HP bullets, you are using HP Match bullets there is a difference.
Can you clarify? Should I switch to a “non-match” HP? Like a BTHP? What difference would I see
In a nutshell, Match bullets are target bullets, used mostly on paper targets. The jackets could be very thin and explode on impact, or not, they might even be thicker than a varmint bullet, you don’t know how they will perform on game until you try them as the manufacturer rarely comment on Match performance on game.

Use a bullet designed for varmints and save the Match for the range, unless of course the Match bullets is acceptable to you,
Mostly the match are thicker these days. So they can handle RPMs of fast twist. I have had more than a few of the old match bullets come apart in flight to the 200 yard target. Cost me a regional match one year I had in the bag easily. LOL.

factory ammo. I would try to find black hills ammo 223 in 36 grain varmint grenade bullets. This should be the end all answer for you. powdered bullet. Should be almost zero exits and total energy dump in the animal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Strop10
Originally Posted by gregintenn
If legal for hunting in your state, an FMJ will do the least damage.

Beyond a certain distance(usually where a fmj .224" bullet falls to around 2500fps and doesnt break apart as it yaws), it might. However, there is an above average chance it won't kill cleanly and the animal runs off.

Inside the distance where the velocity is higher, 55gr ball will frequently produce wounds similar to a .224" exposed lead bullet that will work well on whitetail deer.
yaws? Hmm. That was years ago on a minimal stabilized bullet in 14 twist and with a deep cannelure making the bullet weak at that point.
I've not heard of a 55 or 62 fmj bullet yawing in many years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My choice would be the 53 V max...but I've never worried about pelts

My 9 twist Savage(s) likes 'em...not sure how a 12 twist would do

Another good one is the 53 grain Nosler Varmegeddon flat base

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What gun are you using and barrel length?

Heavier bullets are not your friend. Lighter and faster is. Use highly frangible varmint bullets and choose your shots carefully.
How about sticking with the 55gr, but rather than HPs, I go to SoftPoint? What could I expect then?

Hornady makes 2 different 55gr spire points for handloading that are both marketed as varmint bullets.

The 55gr SP SX supposedly has the very light jacket construction that is supposed to give the explosive bullet effect that is often assumed to be what every bottle neck .22 centerfire cartridge will do. I don't know if it can get there on .223, but I have seen claims that with a high enough velocity(charge weight and/or barrel length) and a faster twist barrel the SX can shed it's jacket.

The more common 55gr SP is of fairly sturdy construction and(based on personal experience and videos of others) will drop whitetail deer quickly.
My mini-mauser .223 has a fast twist - the SX don't get to a 25 yard target, they just blow up.
BTW, you don't need a boat tail at 200 yards - flat based bullets are often more accurate, until that point.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Winchester white box, 50 rd box, 45 gr JHP is your huckleberry for a cost effective approach that will likely shoot well in your rifle, especially if twisted 1:12

Hardin284
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rost495

Beyond a certain distance(usually where a fmj .224" bullet falls to around 2500fps and doesnt break apart as it yaws), it might. However, there is an above average chance it won't kill cleanly and the animal runs off.

Inside the distance where the velocity is higher, 55gr ball will frequently produce wounds similar to a .224" exposed lead bullet that will work well on whitetail deer.
yaws? Hmm. That was years ago on a minimal stabilized bullet in 14 twist and with a deep cannelure making the bullet weak at that point.

Still do.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0734743X21001470

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a conversation with a furrier once. He said most things a fur buyer harps on makes no difference, including bullet holes. Now they don't want hunks of hide blown out, but a bullet hole is not an issue since they slice and blend the fur anyway. what he called letting the fur out.

Last edited by Armednfree; 02/16/24.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Softball sized blowouts are a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've used 40 grain V-Max bullets, no blow out to speak of. Mostly stayed inside. Not that I have a great deal of experience with them.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I've used 40 grain V-Max bullets, no blow out to speak of. Mostly stayed inside. Not that I have a great deal of experience with them.
I’m definitely going to try some lighter bullets too. I appreciate the input

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I’m definitely going to try some lighter bullets too. I appreciate the input

No real loss at 200 yards.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hardin284
Winchester white box, 50 rd box, 45 gr JHP is your huckleberry for a cost effective approach that will likely shoot well in your rifle, especially if twisted 1:12

That would be a good one for sure.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Still do.

That link my computer says stay away from. That said if there is yawing someone needs to correct the problem. And it was with faster twists in the circles I run in. Who knows these days. But I've certainly not seen it in any FMJ I've shot into an animal and thats very few other than rabbits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by hardin284

That would be a good one for sure.
I don't recall shooting anything with those in a 223 but did shoot some in a 22-250. Stuff died rather handily. Never an exit on coyotes.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

Still do.

That link my computer says stay away from. That said if there is yawing someone needs to correct the problem. And it was with faster twists in the circles I run in. Who knows these days. But I've certainly not seen it in any FMJ I've shot into an animal and thats very few other than rabbits.

Make it as fast as you want, there will still be yaw when the bullet enters a new medium.

https://readywarriorllc.com/blogs/battlefield-medicine/the-physics-of-a-gun-shot-wound

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.