Does it still point north?

yes

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes. If over magnetic north/south it should spin
I have been as far north as 73 deg 140 nm north of Barrow looking for open water in pack ice...a best quality high dollar compass by Sperry on the tug, didn't spin but it never settled. The damping adjustment is useless. How the old whalers found their way in ice fog is a mystery, but a lot of arctic whalers died before their threescore and ten.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice old compass that would look nice in a hunting pack. I own 2 military OD green map compasses that I keep in my hunting backpack. I hunted way before GPS technology. One I bought and the other was in a military pack I bought at my favorite pawnshop. Good to have old gear in case of nuclear blasts that would wipe out satellites and tech devices.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by carrollco
Nice old compass that would look nice in a hunting pack. I own 2 military OD green map compasses that I keep in my hunting backpack. I hunted way before GPS technology. One I bought and the other was in a military pack I bought at my favorite pawnshop. Good to have old gear in case of nuclear blasts that would wipe out satellites and tech devices.

Same here. Im only in my 40's but I was raised old school and was poor. I have a GPS but I trust my military compass and topo maps way more. Im trying to teach my kids how read stars, find north using the sun, stick and watch, use sun dials etc.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been as far north as 73 deg 140 nm north of Barrow looking for open water in pack ice

Barrow is hundreds of miles away from magnetic north.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Seems magnetic north/south are constantly wandering about.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A few years back declination at my locale was 16° and now it's about 13.

While clock error was certainly an issue in the times of early exploration, declination shift may have also been a cause for islands etc depicted on early maps failing to show up when travelers came through years later.

Interesting stuff.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/18/24.

1Minute
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 1minute
I have been as far north as 73 deg 140 nm north of Barrow looking for open water in pack ice

Barrow is hundreds of miles away from magnetic north.
Yes, I'm quite aware of the approximate location of mag north...my point was that mag compasses become unreliable at around 70 deg N and are useless at 80 deg N and higher. As a matter of fact, don't ask me why, standard gyro compasses must be checked frequently. This was all before GPS, and Loran was less than accurate up there. Anyway, in 1973 when we were foundering around up there relying on RDF fixes the magpole was right near Bathurst Island Canada...now it has left Canada and is about half way to Siberia...it was moving toward Siberia at an astonishing 25 miles a year.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (7887mm08, 257 mag, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,545 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.