Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I had never heard of him until this morning, he was the topic of a YouTube channel that I like.

The story gets a little long winded but it’s an interesting story covering a modern day outlaw-cowboy and fur trapper that is still living.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is he still working at the Home Depot in Boise?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
POS. Though the one officer had a not-so-good rep that I had heard about all the way up here.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
He’s rumored to be living off of the grid part time in AK and otherwise in either ID or NV.

I agree that I don’t respect poaching and that the officers probably didn’t deserve to be shot.

It’s an interesting story and one that I had never heard of. Playing Devils advocate Dallas probably didn’t do anything worse than any number of outlaws that we glamorize and make movies or write songs about today. He just did it a hundred years later.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If he hadn't been stupid, he'd have walked on justifiable homicide. He had both of them down and he should have left it at that. But, he was an idiot and he shot them both as they lay there. Then he tried to hide the bodies. It became murder 1 and there was nothing justifiable about it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't looked at the video. Does it mention the book Give a Boy a Gun? Interesting read.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I haven't looked at the video. Does it mention the book Give a Boy a Gun? Interesting read.

The YouTuber gave credit to the author of Give a Boy a gun for much of his info.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting tidbit, my dad flew Tim Nettleton, the Owyhee County Sheriff to the San Francisco FBI office with Dallas's guns.

Evidently, it was next to impossible to preserve the chain of custody shipping them on a commercial flight.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Higginez
Is he still working at the Home Depot in Boise?

Last I heard he was working a glory hole in NV. Was a poster here years ago that was in love with him.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tater74
Interesting tidbit, my dad flew Tim Nettleton, the Owyhee County Sheriff to the San Francisco FBI office with Dallas's guns.

Evidently, it was next to impossible to preserve the chain of custody shipping them on a commercial flight.

That is interesting. From the sounds of it Dallas was a bit of a local folk hero at the time. At least as how portrayed in the channel that I linked. I’ve read about the “Mad Trapper” but hadn’t heard of Dallas.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

MAGA
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I remember this. The wardens were out of control and he was a self-styled mountain man idiot. To put it kindly, a clash of cultures separated by about 100 years. It probably should NOT be looked at that way however.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Claude is the run of the mill scumbag, probably revered around here.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a copy of the book "Outlaw" about 35 years ago.
Should've kept it. For some unknown reason, used copies are commanding crazy prices now.
People seem to want to believe in the myth of the rugged individual living on his own terms in the Wild West.
I guess they're ok with him being a cold-blooded killer.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Claude is the run of the mill scumbag, probably revered around here.
He is right up there with a$$hole cops.

Last edited by Mike_S; 02/19/24.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Another good read on the subject is a book called "Outlaw"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I read that book about 35 years ago, too. I think the book probably made him a folk hero of sorts; but before that nobody knew of him, and I doubt he was any "Last of the Mountain Men". The book also painted one of the wardens as an [bleep] that kinda had it coming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0091473/

1986 movie. “Man hunt for Claude Dallas”

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Anyone who shoots another man in the back of the head, not during wartime is a psychotic dickweed that needs to be put down.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So many opinions, none of them worth rancid dog poop. Who among you lived in that are during the time frame of the occurrence? Any one of you know Pogue or Elms? Any one of you know or have even met Claude Dallas? I lived in Winnemucca Nevada for just shy of ten years, from 1970 to 1979. Only reason I left was a job transfer. I don't know when the feud between Dallas and Pogue started and I d not know all the details of the why or wherefore. What I do know is Pogue was a dirty cop. One of his tricks was if he stopped you in your vehicle while out on a hunt, he'd ask for your gun and open it to check for a loaded chamber. Usually while hunting near the Idaho/Nevada. Then he'd rack the bolt closed, hand you your gun and tell you to go on. As soon as you got back in your truck, BAM! You'r under arrest for having a loaded gun in your truck. Happened every time unless you were smart enough to clear that chamber before getting back into, your vehicle. He busted an awful lot of people that was and I saw him do it. He was great for unintended entrapment like the above example. That's the kind of game warden he was. Elms I know nothing about as I never met the man. At least I don't think I did.

As to whether there was a hatred between Pogue and Dallas, Dallas never said anything to me but Pogue had/has kin living in Winnemuca and there were times he's be down in town at the Winner's Inn celebrating a birthday or something and be a few sheets to the wind. More than once I heard him say that it he caught Dallas out on the range, he'd shoot him down like a rabid dog. I know damn well if someone was shooting their mouth off that they were gonna kill me, I'd take them at their word and act accordingly.

Dallas on the other hand was a strange duck. A reasonably agreeable sort based on what contact I had. He did odd jobs in Winnemucca and I hired him to build a fence around my house. He did a good job of work and I paid him. Knew him well enough to say hello when he hit town. Talked guns with him a few times. We got along OK. I do know that most people in Winnemucca were on his side in the affair and that Pogue was intensely disliked by the locals.

The fact is only three people really know what went down out there in the Nevada desert and two ain't talking. None of us were there on the scene. I know the area, at least the Nevada side because I've deer hunted there. It's a lonely stretch of desert with miles and miles of nothing. It's really hard to say if you're still in Nevada or have crossed into Idaho. No white line denoting you're now in Idaho nor is there a fence with a sign saying NV/ID border. The late Pogue's favorite hunting grounds BTW. I wonder why?

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (7887mm08, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 9 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.