Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not long before we left the state there was an OD in the parking lot of the building my office was in. Not sure if he died.

Portland was once perpetually in the top five most livable cities. Now it's a schidthole.

https://www.oregonlive.com/data/202...ose-death-increase-in-us-since-2019.html

Oregon fentanyl deaths: the ‘staggering’ statistic for how we compare nationally

Yearly fentanyl overdose deaths in Oregon grew by an estimated 1,500% since before the pandemic, by far the largest increase in the United States, federal data show.

There were 77 known fentanyl overdose deaths in the state during the 12 months ending September 2019. Oregon deaths from the cheap, super-powerful opioid, mostly produced in China and Mexico and smuggled into the United States, ballooned to an estimated 1,268 during the 12 months ending September 2023, according to a federal analysis of the most recent available overdose-death data.

“That is a staggering statistic,” said Multnomah County Commissioner Sharon Meieran, who is also an emergency room doctor. “I knew it was bad, but I honestly did not know it was that bad.”

While the dramatic increase is at least in part due to Oregon recording so few deaths in 2019, the trend has been consistent: Oregon also recorded the highest percentage increase in fentanyl deaths from 2022 to 2023.

The precipitous rise means Oregon has shifted from a state with one of the lowest fentanyl death rates in America to one that’s now near the middle of the pack nationally — with no indication deaths will subside anytime soon. Oregon had the nation’s 17th-highest death rate last year, with 30 fentanyl overdose fatalities for every 100,000 people, up from ranking 36th out of the 39 states, including Washington, D.C., that reported fentanyl overdose deaths in 2019.

Illicit fentanyl has swept the country over the past decade, hitting East Coast locales earlier than Oregon but leaving few communities unaffected. It takes a very small dose of the chemical to get a person high, and a relatively small dose to kill. Some drug users seek out fentanyl deliberately, while others encounter it unknowingly mixed in with heroin or non-opioid substances like methamphetamine.

Fentanyl now accounts for the largest portion of overdose deaths from any drug in Oregon.

The carnage fentanyl has wrought in Oregon has prompted hand-wringing and political promises to take measures to tackle the crisis. Local and state officials came together last month to declare a 90-day fentanyl emergency in central Portland, intended to help cut through bureaucratic barriers to get people the help they need.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data shows exactly what they and other Oregon officials are up against.

Washington, D.C., and each of the 38 states that reported fentanyl deaths both in 2019 and last year saw such deaths climb, including 29 states where they doubled or more. The CDC calculated “predicted” death numbers to accommodate a lag in data reporting in some states, including in Oregon.

Oklahoma followed Oregon for the largest percentage increase from 2019 to 2023, with an estimated 717 deaths last year compared to 67 five years ago. Washington state was fourth, with deaths climbing nearly nine-fold in five years, to an estimated 2,653. On the other end of the spectrum, East Coast states, where the crisis started in the United States, had some of the lowest increases. New Jersey’s increase was the lowest, with fentanyl overdose deaths climbing 8% last year, to an estimated 2,377.

Oregon’s increase of about 1,530% tops the charts going away.

“Such a dramatic increase demonstrates that we are in crisis,” said Mike Marshall, director of Oregon Recovers, an advocacy group. “And a crisis requires a response.”

But while Oregon’s fentanyl death increase has been dramatic, state health officials point out that Oregon’s overall rate remains relatively in line compared to much of the country.

While the 10 states with the highest increases were all west of the Mississippi River, all but one of the 10 states with the highest death rates last year were east of it. Washington state, with 34 fentanyl overdose deaths per 100,000 people, was the exception. Washington, D.C., and West Virginia placed first and second both in 2019 and last year, now with 70 or more deaths for every 100,000 people.

Dr. Tom Jeanne, an Oregon Health Authority epidemiologist, said fentanyl hit eastern states several years earlier than western states because fentanyl, which usually comes in powder form, was easier to mix with the powder heroin common in the eastern United States. The heroin available on the West Coast, “black tar,” was harder to mix with fentanyl and far less potent, Jeanne said.

The “sudden and late” arrival of fentanyl in Oregon was exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, he said, which increased isolation and dramatically reduced access to treatment.

Measure 110, the law intended to improve access to treatment at least in part by decriminalizing drug possession, has been widely criticized as a failure. But treatment options are available for people who want to quit fentanyl.

It’s unclear when or if fentanyl overdose deaths will level out in Oregon, Jeanne said.

“The increase is likely to keep going,” Jeanne said. “I can’t predict how soon it’ll start to slow down.”

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Lies. If you decriminalize hard drug sales, use and possession everything gets better not worse. Liberals aren’t stupid, duh.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Bet all the dead ones voted for Biden

Hang on tight !
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Did you Oregon types get rid of your vagrancy laws?

It was just a matter of time.

Mental health apocalypse mixed with easy access to hard drugs with a splash of pro homelessness laws....and viola!

That's a spicy feces coverd meatball.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I come form a addictive blood line alcohol ,hard drugs good family but.Best thing that happened to me was mandatory drug testing at work starting in the 1980s knew I would lose my job and family 40 years in the oilfield.Retired.

IC B2

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Did you Oregon types get rid of your vagrancy laws?

It was just a matter of time.

Mental health apocalypse mixed with easy access to hard drugs with a splash of pro homelessness laws....and viola!

That's a spicy feces coverd meatball.

They blame Martin v Boise.

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
If you legalize it....they will come.

I am MAGA.
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

There you go.

Carpe' Scrotum
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Along with "Disease X"... How long before the NWO / WEF teams up with China to ship a couple boatloads of 100X hot Fentanyl to the U.S. to "population reduce" drug users, AND first responders as collateral damage ?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lost a good customer to that [bleep].

That said, there's to many people in this state as it is. I wish there was a bucket of it under every streetlight

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
filling the country with suppliers

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Oregon's over ran with liberals what else do you expect..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An Or resident here, but in the completely pure red east side. Please don't categorize the whole state.

Yes. Legalize hard drug possession and use, and they will come. Seems like a no brainer to me. Can't drink a beer with one's fish n chips in the park, but it's OK to inject, smoke, and snort anywhere in town. Presently, there is a move afoot to make use illegal though while on public transportation. I don't know why, since it's fine everywhere else.

I think Portland also has some downtown safe facilities where one can practice with free needles, tin foil, and lighters unmolested in a toasty dry environment with medical standing by. Talk about facilitation!

Didn't help either when downtown was given to ANTIFA after Trump's election. It's no wonder those of us in the rest of the state avoid going there, and once profitable businesses are vacating in droves.

I'm not one that supports packing around those reversal products either. If one wants to risk doing themselves in, get out of their way. Maybe such will eventually be a self-rectifying issue.

Sadly, there are enough votes in the crowded blue realm (Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, and drug infused Medford to the south) to carry the state.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In our family we lost a nephew a couple years back to some hopped up heroin in Va. When his roomies discovered the body, they borrowed his credit cards and went out to party.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/19/24.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Floyd was staggering a bit as I recall.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
An Or resident here, but in the completely pure red east side. Yes. Legalize hard drug possession and use, and they will come. Seems like a no brainer to me. Can't drink a beer with one's fish n chips in the park, but it's OK to inject, smoke, and snort anywhere in town. Presently, there is a move afoot to make use illegal though while on public transportation. I don't know why, since it's fine everywhere else.

I think we also have some downtown safe facilities where one can practice with free needles, tin foil, and lighters totally unmolested in a toasty dry environment with medical standing by. Talk about facilitation!

Didn't help either when downtown was given to ANTIFA after Trumps election. It's no wonder those of us in the rest of the state avoid going there, and once profitable businesses are vacating in droves.

I'm not one that supports packing around those reversal products either. If one wants to risk doing themselves in, get out of their way. Maybe it will eventually be a self-rectifying issue.

There are enough votes in the blue realm (Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, and drug infused Medford to the south) to carry the state.

It is a sad deal for sure. It is also self correcting. Painful to watch if it's close to you.

One of my family, near 45 years ago, when posed with the question 'how do we stop the drug problem in our Country'? Answered.... '...feed it to 'em...'

Again, sadly, he may have been right!

YMMV

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
1Minute, Read an article a few days ago describing the issue statewide homeless and drug policies are causing Ontario. Getting all the losers from Idaho.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Amsterdam figured that out 40 years ago.... but hey, some people have to touch the hot stove and find out for themselves......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Steve
1Minute, Read an article a few days ago describing the issue statewide homeless and drug policies are causing Ontario. Getting all the losers from Idaho.

Good riddance.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
An Or resident here, but in the completely pure red east side. Please don't categorize the whole state.

Yes. Legalize hard drug possession and use, and they will come. Seems like a no brainer to me. Can't drink a beer with one's fish n chips in the park, but it's OK to inject, smoke, and snort anywhere in town. Presently, there is a move afoot to make use illegal though while on public transportation. I don't know why, since it's fine everywhere else.

I think Portland also has some downtown safe facilities where one can practice with free needles, tin foil, and lighters unmolested in a toasty dry environment with medical standing by. Talk about facilitation!

Didn't help either when downtown was given to ANTIFA after Trump's election. It's no wonder those of us in the rest of the state avoid going there, and once profitable businesses are vacating in droves.

I'm not one that supports packing around those reversal products either. If one wants to risk doing themselves in, get out of their way. Maybe such will eventually be a self-rectifying issue.

Sadly, there are enough votes in the crowded blue realm (Portland, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene, and drug infused Medford to the south) to carry the state.

In our family we lost a nephew a couple years back to some hopped up heroin in Va. When his roomies discovered the body, they borrowed his credit cards and went out to party.

There is going to be another blue county center left, in the near future (Bend).

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
prineville too

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 3,262 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,744
Posts18,476,112
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.