Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys. Buddy of mine has given me a couple of these to play around with and possibly buy. I was shooting out back and one of them went bat chit crazy. When you load the mag, insert and fire, the gun empties the entire mag with one pull of the trigger. Damn dangerous. Something is obviously broke or worn out. I do not know much about this particular gun and i know there are a good many colt guys here. Anyone have a bit of guidance on fixing this? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Not good

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Forgot to add that one time i just dropped the slide and the gun fired the entire mag. If you werent ready, could be a bad damn day for someone. Need to get this fixed for sure

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a brand new S&W do that right out of the box. Emptied a 14 round magazine in the blink of an eye. Also recently had my Ruger 10/22 do the same. I purchased a new trigger group for the Ruger.

I cant tell you what parts to replace. I can tell you it’s not a death sentence for the gun. It can be fixed.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like bad sear or sear spring.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Yep

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well ???.... it clearly sez "Colt Automatic", NOT Semi Automatic... Sheesh!... (grin)

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Well ???.... it clearly sez "Colt Automatic", NOT Semi Automatic... Sheesh!... (grin)
Lol

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do they still make parts for these?

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Do they still make parts for these?
There was/is a company making a replica of those, but danged if I can remember the name of it. However, I'm sure there's someone who can help at the Colt forum.

https://www.coltforum.com/

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll go with gunk in the firing pin channel and the firing pin is not retracting.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I owned one of these once which does not make me an expert on them. That said, the first question that popped into my head was "do these things have a disconnector in them like the 1911 has?" I had the exact same issue with a Colt 1911 Series 70 many years ago - the gun went full auto on the first shot out of a full magazine. Quite a surprise to say the least, and I remember the muzzle was pointing about straight up when the gun went quiet. Sent the gun back to Colt and they replaced the disconnector and had it back in my mailbox in a little over a week.

I seriously doubt Colt would address a gun this old and long out of production. I would examine a schematic and if it employs a disconnector replace it. Betcha Numrich can help with the schematic and the part.

Anecdotally, when the incident happened to me of course I had to put a fresh magazine in it and spray seven more shots in, like, a second into the trees and bushes around the backstop. Ah, the hubris of youth.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JOG
I'll go with gunk in the firing pin channel and the firing pin is not retracting.

Yep.

I was given one disassembled in a bag once and the pin (and 80 years of gunk) made it slam fire.

Check Numrich for parts, but they will still need fitted for protrusion and cleaned up.

Last edited by HawkI; 02/20/24.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Interesting. Ill start there. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by JOG

Yep.

I was given one disassembled in a bag once and the pin (and 80 years of gunk) made it slam fire.

Check Numrich for parts, but they will still need fitted for protrusion and cleaned up.
Thank you very much for the info!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They are not fun to put back together; the hammer is encased and it needs positioned EXACTLY (under load if I remember) to go back together.

But most Browning designs are like that. They also wear, but that generally means lots of rounds, which I doubt your gun has seen.

I would recommend Kroll or hosing down the pin channel with evaporative solvent first way before tearing it down or send it to a gunsmith.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HawkI
They are not fun to put back together; the hammer is encased and it needs positioned EXACTLY (under load if I remember) to go back together.

But most Browning designs are like that. They also wear, but that generally means lots of rounds, which I doubt your gun has seen.

I would recommend Kroll or hosing down the pin channel with evaporative solvent first way before tearing it down or send it to a gunsmith.
So Im assuming you can access the pin channel with just removing the slide, correct? Like I said, Im not up on this particular gun, but enjoy tinkering

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I owned one of these once which does not make me an expert on them. That said, the first question that popped into my head was "do these things have a disconnector in them like the 1911 has?" I had the exact same issue with a Colt 1911 Series 70 many years ago - the gun went full auto on the first shot out of a full magazine. Quite a surprise to say the least, and I remember the muzzle was pointing about straight up when the gun went quiet. Sent the gun back to Colt and they replaced the disconnector and had it back in my mailbox in a little over a week.

I seriously doubt Colt would address a gun this old and long out of production. I would examine a schematic and if it employs a disconnector replace it. Betcha Numrich can help with the schematic and the part.

Anecdotally, when the incident happened to me of course I had to put a fresh magazine in it and spray seven more shots in, like, a second into the trees and bushes around the backstop. Ah, the hubris of youth.

Right on! I would've shot all the ammo I brought! The joys of youth!

Old guy, old guns.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The firing pin charge hole or the rear of the pin if the slide is removed.

The firing pin is retained by a cross pin. A 1903 schematic glance will show you.

I would hose it down good and blow it out.

The pin should push out and protrude from the slide face with a plastic or non marring punch from the rear and snap back immediately. If it feels gritty, doesn't move or doesn't snap back the firing pin or pin spring may be broke or rusted or stuck in place from caked lint.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,608
Posts18,492,399
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.