Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
The F series seems to be one of the more popular 99's.Is it the just the looks or are they someway better than other models?Does the F stand for featherweight by chance?I'm in the process of buying one right now.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Look and balance anx niceweight to em. But don't get one with tang safety and gold trigger. If ya do at least paint the trigger black.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
But don't get one with tang safety and gold trigger. If ya do at least paint the trigger black.

....unless you are a lefty , then you kin shoot the tang safety gold trigger & all.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's an early 99F made in the 20's and 30's, and a late 99F made from 1955 on. The late 1955 is definitely a featherweight, and being it was factory drilled and tapped for a scope and made in the classic Savage calibers as well as the newer Winchester calibers it has become very popular.

Most popular are the lever safety models with SN below 1 million. But the later models can be good hunting guns also.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks guys the one I'm looking at is a 50's model

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Fs are noticeably lighter than the EG etc and balance very well. Without a scope they weight about 6.5lbs. That is a light rifle to have been made 50 years ago.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What Calhoun said, but i'll add that the later 99F's (Post WW2) have a 22" barrel with a "hump" or "boss" where the dovetail for the rear open sight is on the barrel. The front forearm is rounded at the front (Versus a 24" barrel and schnobel forearm on a EG model). I think they also took the time to remove more wood from the inside of the rear stock under the buttplate to lighten the weight of the stock on the F's.

Post WW2 F's were also drilled and tapped for scope mounts, so they usually 6 tapped holes on the top of the receiver. the front 4 for 1 or 2 piece scope bases made by Weaver, Redfield, etc., and the rear 2 holes are for a Peep sight, such as a Lyman or Marbles brand. There are exceptions to this, as Savage production at that time was not always consistent. "Never say never" has been a term frequently applied.

Post WW2 F's were not given factory sling swivels, but you'll find them on many guns, as they were used as hunting tools rather than collectors. Having them does effect the resale value, and takes it out of the "collectors" category but, in my opinion, is better in the woods.

Something to look closely at when buying pretty much any Savage 99, is the top of the wrist on the rear stock. Because there is a large bolt attaching a relatively small piece of wood to the rear of the receiver, there is a tendency for a hairline crack to form if the stock bolt is overtightened, and/or the rifle is abused (dropped from shoulder, etc.).

I'm partial to Post WW2 99F's because I find them to be light weight, well balanced, and therefore quick pointing. I'm probably missing a caliber or 2 that was offered, but .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .250-3000 Savage, 243. Win and .358 Win. come to mind. With the .300 Savage being largest in quantity, and therefore easiest to come across.

I'm hesitant to take a guess at what the current market values are, as it seems to be whatever someone is willing to pay. But I will. I'll make my guess based on the .300 Sav. caliber, as there seems to be a little premium on .308's, and the price can double, triple or more for the other calibers (.250-3000, .243, .358). I'm sure mostly because of quantity available.

My guess for 99F Post WW2 in .300 Sav., current used market value:

Beater Grade (aka Gray Rat) , cracked stock, almost no bluing on metal or stock, extra holes in stock. May have replacement rubber butt pad. You get the picture. = $150 to $350

Mid grade. 50 percent or better finish on wood and metal. Probably has extra holes in wood for sling swivels, but has original butt plate. =$350 to $450

good grade. 80 percent or better finish on wood and metal. No extra holes in wood, with original butt plat,e minor dings/nicks on metal/wood (handling/hunting nicks). =$450 to $750 (you probably won't see many at $450 any more)

Almost new. 90 percent or better........like good grade, but almost NO wear on wood/metal and barely a nick or scratch on wood or metal. This gun should ALMOST pass for new. =$750 to $1K

Like New (MINT). Like the ones Jed sells. These guns were bought in the 50's or 60's and PUT AWAY. they look like BRAND NEW. Metal perfect, wood perfect. =$ 1K to 2K.

What do you guys think? Did i do ok, or screw it up? I'm in NY, so like most of the North East, used Savages are easier to find. I would think that the farther South and West one gets in the Country, the higher the prices get. I also didn't take any extras, like scope mounts, scopes, or throw in ammo. that would add to the value/cost of a used Post War 99 F, in .300 Sav.

Can you tell that im off from work today? ha ha .......happy hunting. -Tom

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
so that's what a "grey rat" is. now if i can only figure out what "bump" means when someone is offering a gun for sale...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
melchung,

I "stole" a link from a gun auction on GB to explain (link below). If you look at the first 2 pics, where the rear open sight mounts on the barrel (dovetail), you will see the "bump, hump, boss" (choose your term.) that i'm talking about. Sorry I couldn't find a close up picture. adjust your monitors brightness/contrast. You will not find this on a R, EG, or any other model than a Post WW2 F.

This rifle is certainly not falling in line with my price estimates above. Although the .308 caliber puts it ahead slightly $$$ wise to a .300 Sav, It has 3 things that detract from its value in my opinion. The rubber butt pad that replaced the original metal one. The fact the bakalite grip cap has been glued back together, and the addition of sling swivels. I would expect this gun to sell for $400 to $600 putting it between mid and good grade (by my estimations), but as you can see, with 2 days left to the auction it is at $695 (plus $35 s/h). It wouldn't surprise me if it sells for close to a grand at auction end. they just keep getting more expensive. -TomT

LINK:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88813479

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hmmmm . . . .

That's not a collector, but a real nice hunting rifle for $700 bucks.

Price is relative . . . .

A milk jug stocked bolt goes for that much nowadays--without any class.

That 99F has a little class . . . .

The wood is straight grained and the recoil pads can be replaced.

Hmmmm . . . .

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RF,

don't be surprised at seeing grey rats sells for over $450.- even here in Canada. Passed one last week, it didn't last one day after I looked at it. The Savage "F"s are in demand. wink

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (907brass, 673, 1936M71, 450yukon, 18 invisible), 15,246 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,902
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.