Print Thread
Hop To
N
Nollij Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
My Model 70 experience is limited to say the least, so I thought I would ask and try to learn something. I picked up this 1989 270WCF Ranger yesterday for a decent price, and would like to change the stock. I believe this is considered 2 piece bottom metal. What are my options? I'm not against new bottom metal to make the project easier, but am honestly not sure what I should be looking for. A plain black molded stock, or a take off XTR Featherweight stock would suit me fine.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What is the barrel contour? The Ranger that I have is a Feather Weight contour but not sure they all were? Either way eBay is a good place to look for a take off stock just have to know what barrel you have. Also they make spacers to convert a one piece bottom metal stock to two piece

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

N
Nollij Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
It looks like the same contour as my XTR Featherweights. I'll get a couple pictures after work. The current stock is in pretty good shape, but I thought I'd try to spruce it up, and maybe learn a thing or two.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a birch stocked rifle looked pretty bland,. you may want to paint it with a textured paint , come back over it with black webbing paint. mine turned out real well. cheap and easy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
those rangers are a lot of gun for the money, as you well know. I bought one for my grandson a few years back and re-did the stock. I do a lot of woodworking with furniture so have experimented a lot with stains, dyes, finishes, etc. Although birch isn't the most beautiful of woods as far as grain,etc. it is a very hard stable wood: super functional. Unless you just want something different, I would experiment a bit with some stain or dyes. If you don't have a spare piece of birch wood, which most do not, you could try a stain or 2 in the barrel channel to see if you like it prior to doing the entire stock. On my grandsons, the wood is not all that ugly: has some maple looking characteristics. I'd suggest a stain that would darken the wood somewhat: the grandson's turned out somewhat like the color of cherry wood, although I can't remember exactly what I used for stain or dye. Good Luck.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A nice XTR fwt stock is what I'd put on it. There was/is a rifle in the classifieds that is an example of stock swapping on one of these Ranger models. That rifle in the classifieds is a short action, but the same would apply to the long action, such as the one in the OP. Like what was said, ebay can be your friend.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a Winchester 70 XTR Ranger in 6.5x55 that was a drop in fit in a 70 FWT stock. The open sights were quite high, so the comb height of the 70 FWT stock was a little low for proper eye alignment.

CDNN has been closing out Winchester 70 stocks for years and might still have a few that will fit this barreled action.

N
Nollij Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I'll be keeping my eyes open for a clean 80's era fwt stock. It's actually a nice rifle if you don't mind the birch. Thanks for the suggestions.

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
Yes, try ebay. I have a Ranger in .30-06 that came with the birch stock. I bought a very nice FWT stock on ebay for $75. Ranger dropped right in.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a three mid 80s Model 70's that came with very clean wood stocks. The .300 Weatherby has a walnut stock, the .30-06 and .243 are both Rangers with birch stocks. I have been able to find factory synthetic stocks for all three.

This will avoid potential damage to the wooden stocks. . I plan to take them to Wyoming and leave them at my sons house for a hunting battery when I visit.

Two are maked Featherweight and came with SS swivel bases. I plan on floating the barrels and calling it good. a couple of bread bag closures and a little file work and I should be good.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nollij
I'll be keeping my eyes open for a clean 80's era fwt stock. It's actually a nice rifle if you don't mind the birch. Thanks for the suggestions.

If only there were someone near you that had a pile of Model 70 wood...........And was going to St Cloud this weekend.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Nothing wrong with a ranger 👍I’ve got one that’ll outshoot anything else I got

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 15 invisible), 1,630 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.