Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an item for sale, a member PM'ed me an offer that I accepted. After a couple days the member backed out. Here's a PM trail (redacted). Is this a little weird or Am I off base? I stated several time in the PM's that it was not a big deal, but if you are not serious, why make an offer?

Buyer: Looking for something for a .243 and have found a few options.Was wondering if you would do $xxx on it?

Seller: $xxx works for me. Can do paypal if you pay fees xxx.com or a money order or personal check. Whichever is easier for you.

Buyer: Let me do some thinking.If you sell it beforehand no problem.I’ll get back with you on it.I appreciate the offer.

Buyer: I’m gonna pass cs.Thanks for the offer and good luck with your sale

Seller: No problem.

This is the first time I have ever had someone make an offer, have me accept the offer, then back out?

Hope you find what your looking for.

Buyer: cs,like I stated I had several options I was looking at.I’ve had the same model Viper at one time.Loved everything about it except the reticle would disappear long before the glass left you guessing.90% of the time it worked,but in South Alabama where I hunt, the last 15 minutes of daylight are crucial for mature bucks.I held out for an offer on a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that a buddy of mine had made me in passing.He backpedaled on it till yesterday.Once again I appreciate the offer.

Seller: Like I said, no problem.

But you may want to 'Not' make an offer if you are not serious.

I'll start a thread and see what CF members think.

Again, not really a big deal, but feels a little off in the etiquette department to me. What do you think?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think if that bothers you, the internet is not a good place for you to sell things.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s definitely strange , but what isn’t these days?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Been on both ends of this. Water under the bridge, repost and sell to someone who wants it.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been played on the same game a number of times, tire kickers that aren't really sure what they want.....not sincere buyers. Walk away and don't deal with him, surely will have a problem of some kind anyway.

I've has a number of guys ask me to "hold" the item while they think about it, along with the Classic private PM "I'll take it"..... but refuse to post publicly where others can see it, thus have nothing to lose by backing out.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I think if that bothers you, the internet is not a good place for you to sell things.

19 years on this site with countless transactions in the classifieds. This is the first time I've accepted an offer then had the buyer get cold feet. Just lucky I guess.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
been through that a couple of times with a few folks-some even worse than what you describe...I just block them and move on

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If this is the worst thing to happen this week, consider yourself winning. Now if a tree falls on your house and Fed Ex shows up and kicks your dog, you got problems.

LOL
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
At least he responded.
Often they just go silent.

People are stupid, even if they have some money in their pocket.

When somebody is like that, sell to somebody else.
But remember who backed out and never sell to them.

IMHO..........

if a guy is shopping for an item, and agrees to buy it.
Should something better (quality or price) come along, he should still follow through.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/20/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Save yourself worries and try to avoid personalizing on either end - it's a simple business situation but remote/internet methods bring in ambiguity and ??.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're not wrong but it is what it is.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Count your blessings because you are not out anything. Relist and sale it to responsible buyer. Good Luck

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Maybe something else came up in the meantime that he had to prioritize the money for. Like an ill child or gasoline or whatever. I wouldn’t consider it a conspiracy, or even let it bother me at all. Such is the classifieds.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't like men shopping like women (change mind, send stuff back n forth etc).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't interpret the prospective buyer's statement to be any kind of commitment to buy. He was wanting to know if his prospective offer would be viable, and that's as far as he went.

I have had a couple of commitments to buy fall through, one time followed by a pack of lies. I will not deal with that individual. The lies DO bother me but I can understand a guy simply changing his mind and if he doesn't try to hand me a bunch of BS excuses, then I don't see a point in making a fuss about it.

I DO request a publicly stated commitment to buy, though, most often. That keeps EVERYBODY honest and the transaction above board.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see an offer made for $XXX, nothing more. Definitely not a commitment to purchase.

I have made offers when I wasn't 100% but generally word it like, If I were to commit would you take $XXX???

No different than dealing at a gun shop and asking if they would take $XXX. Doesn't mean you will take for sure.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Maybe something else came up in the meantime that he had to prioritize the money for. Like an ill child or gasoline or whatever. I wouldn’t consider it a conspiracy, or even let it bother me at all. Such is the classifieds.

Was dealing on a rifle with a member. He PM'd me that he could not go through with the deal because his wife was in a car accident and needed to put funds toward that. I understood, told him the rifle was in my safe and will be there when he is ready. Life happens, I get it. This one just feels strange.

Heck I change my mind all the time. I buy, try, sell - all the time. Part of the fun.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Happens all the time. People jump around on several forums, Ebay, Gunbroker, etc. Watch multiple items then throw offers at everything they are looking where they can offer a lower price than asked.
Then they often get an offer accepted, back out, and play sour grapes. LOL

Best in many cases to list the price as firm, and then adjust the price down the road if needed. At least that weeds out the tire kickers or someone looking for a steal.

Last edited by KenMi; 02/20/24.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I see an offer made for $XXX, nothing more. Definitely not a commitment to purchase.

I have made offers when I wasn't 100% but generally word it like, If I were to commit would you take $XXX???

No different than dealing at a gun shop and asking if they would take $XXX. Doesn't mean you will take for sure.

I can see where that could be the case. Does seem like a waste of everyone's time though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I can see where that could be the case. Does seem like a waste of everyone's time though.
I guess I have done enough dealing on cars, trucks, guns and other items that I see it as part of working a deal.

Look at a car, try to get bottom dollar then go to another dealer and see if that can be beat. Same with guns if more than 1 of what I want available.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,627
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.