Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I have Midway birthday pricing and a gift certificate. What's your preference and why:

1. Redding Competition seating die
2. Forster Micrometer seating die
3. RCBS Matchmaster seating die

Sizing is with a Redding body die and necks sized with a Lee collet.

Thanks

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Redding for me, because I've tried others and don't like them.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My Forstesr are easier to adjust and are easier to read than my Reddings. According to my measurements, they are slightly more accurate, but I don't think it is enough to matter. The readability keeps me buying Forster.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RevMike
Folks:

I have Midway birthday pricing and a gift certificate. What's your preference and why:

Thanks
None of the above, Wilson inline seating dies. Better die and cheaper. You can just about get a press and die for what a " competition " die cost.
In a pinch you can actually use a rubber mallet, works awesome at the range doing seating depth tests also

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Torque
My Forstesr are easier to adjust and are easier to read than my Reddings. According to my measurements, they are slightly more accurate, but I don't think it is enough to matter. The readability keeps me buying Forster.

This, but not sure about one being more accurate than another. My go to is the Forster for seating, Redding body die and Lee collet for the neck. The Forster is cheaper too.

Oh, and buy a set of replacement Hornady die rings. I love Redding stuff, but their rings are horrible.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Folks:

Thanks

Mike, I have a use all of them but the RCBS Matchmaster is my favorite. Just nice to drop a bullet in the side and not fiddle with it.

Nice to read dial as well.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Oh, and buy a set of replacement Hornady die rings. I love Redding stuff, but their rings are horrible.

I second that.

Every die I own has a Hornady lock ring on it.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several RCBS Matchmasters and really like them. The load the bullet into the die is a nice feature.

You ain't about that life.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Folks:

Thanks

I’ve used all three of the ones you’ve listed and each has its strengths, but all of them are pretty good.

The Forster’s have shown me the least runout on loaded ammo. The difference is not huge, maybe .001”. With its big knob and .025” per turn, it is easiest to adjust precisely.

The Matchmaster is really nice to use because of its bullet window. You don’t have to hold the bullet in the case mouth until it enters the die. Just drop the bullet in the window and raise the ram.

The Redding is comparable in runout to the Forster, but with its .050” per rev, it is a little harder to get the marks lined up exactly. Not that 1/2 a line thickness really matters…

As far as my preference, it’s hard to say. I suppose I prefer the Forster because they have produced just a smidge less runout for me.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've found the Redding and Forster to be equals for seating bullets straight and to uniform depth. The Forster has been the better deal price wise.

I do not have experience with this Matchmaster iteration of the RCBS window die. The older RCBS competition window die was not as good as the Redding and Forster sliding sleeve dies for runout. Maybe the Matchmaster is better about this.

The Wilson inline dies are good kit, but they won't necessarily seat bullets any straighter than the Forster or Redding. As was mentioned earlier, they are handy for seating depth changes away from the shop.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Redding supports the entire case during the process whereas the RCBS window is convenient it only supports the neck for alignment.
Wilson dies are great for loading at the bench and minor seating changes but other than that kinda worthless. I sold those and a Bald Eagle arbor press many years ago.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Redding supports the entire case during the process

Exactly.....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
....What's your preference and why:

Own all three; they all make straight and consistent ammo.

I have transitioned to the RCBS match master where available; it's just so easy to use. I also like how compact the RCBS unit is, for easy die box storage.

The Redding unit is so long it may not fit in the factory die box with your lock ring and micrometer settings. And if you use a Hornady or Lee press bushing, the factory box does not accommodate it. Considering Redding is the most expensive, you would think they would remedy the die box figment issues.

It still use a Forster for 375H&H and a Redding for 280ai; RCBS doesn't offer match master in these cartridges.

Other random gripes: I don't like Forster's bulky die box, nor do I like set screw lock rings (RCBS and Redding).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gte901m
....What's your preference and why:

Own all three; they all make straight and consistent ammo.

I have transitioned to the RCBS match master where available; it's just so easy to use. I also like how compact the RCBS unit is, for easy die box storage.

The Redding unit is so long it may not fit in the factory die box with your lock ring and micrometer settings. And if you use a Hornady or Lee press bushing, the factory box does not accommodate it. Considering Redding is the most expensive, you would think they would remedy the die box figment issues.

It still use a Forster for 375H&H and a Redding for 280ai; RCBS doesn't offer match master in these cartridges.

Other random gripes: I don't like Forster's bulky die box, nor do I like set screw lock rings (RCBS and Redding).

The Walmarts has the answer to that question in the fishing section.

Gotta, think outside the box.....lol.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice, thanks for that idea FA.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

I like having everything to do with a particular caliber/rifle in one box. And those are nice boxes.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Folks:

Thanks

Mike, I have a use all of them but the RCBS Matchmaster is my favorite. Just nice to drop a bullet in the side and not fiddle with it.

Nice to read dial as well.

I also like the matchmaster sets. I have them in 6.5-284, 22 creed, and 260 Rem.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have used the RCBS for decades. Easy and fast to use, easy and repeatable to set to different depths for different projectiles.

Last edited by longbarrel; 02/20/24.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Feral_American

I like having everything to do with a particular caliber/rifle in one box. And those are nice boxes.

For sure. I have a bunch of bushing dies along with the micrometer seaters. Once they are adjusted for the Forster CoAx they never fit back in the die box. May see if I can find those cases and fix up my mess some.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Feral_American

For sure. I have a bunch of bushing dies along with the micrometer seaters. Once they are adjusted for the Forster CoAx they never fit back in the die box. May see if I can find those cases and fix up my mess some.

beretzs,

They are the Plano 5-20 "medium" boxes. In stores or online. I have some of the same type too that are twice the size. I keep cleaning brushes/jags, gun parts, small tools, and such in those, but these "medium" size are great die boxes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.