Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I figure deep, fluffy snow would be the hardest on them. But then again, maybe little to no snow and deep cold is also hard on them. Anyone know which winters take out the most coyotes?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I can say is if there is ever a nuclear holocaust the only things that may live is bacteria and coyotes.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The tougher the winter, the more there is to scavenge.

Local wildlife boys keep track of all sorts of data while doing their big game surveys. The have a graph showing coyote cycles mimicking jack rabbit numbers.

Not the data I've seen, but a similar pattern.

Coyote/bunny link

Years back we had a summer with an amazing number of small rodents about. In late summer while pronghorn hunting one would see a mouse of vole scurrying for cover about every 10 yds or so. At that same time, one could scan the surroundings and find 3 to 5 coyotes in the vicinity. I think that was a spring/summer event where all of the pups thrived.

I don't know if it was harsh winter weather or disease, but as our 1923 spring came along, our Belding's ground squirrel population crashed. Such would certainly be fine grub around our alfalfa pivots in this region.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/20/24.

1Minute
W
W
That would be a mild winter with little to no snow, cause that's when the most coyote hunters would be out and about.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
With the drought we've had here the last several years there was nothing to eat but cow schiett when this winter hit, unless they could eat alfalfa the ranchers were feeding.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would think a couple feet of snow, followed by a few inches of ice and more snow would make life tough for a ‘yote.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our populations here seem to go up and down depending on the small prey.

Been a down cycle for rabbits for a few years now, starting to see some show up around the place now. Caught one in the yard on a trail cam the other early morning. Wife had a suicide bunny dart in front of her down the road about 2 miles this evening.

Squeak (Belding's ground squirrel) populations have been down recently too. Good moisture last couple or three winters/springs. Floods burrows I hear. That probably doesn't help the kangaroo rats either.

when we moved in there were three distinct 'yote packs in our little valley. Now we hear what appears to be one, maybe a second. Winters have varied from a low of -25F the first winter we were here, with a couple of good snowfalls (8-12" here is good snow) to this winter where I think the lowest my porch thermometer hit was a 6F morning and we appear to be at normal/average moisture for the year so far.

I expect if the small game/rodent populations recover this year and next that the 'yotes will have another pack or two in the area following that.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep. I would think a good ol southern ice storm would give them hell.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Last year’s winter seemed to hit all the wildlife pretty hard. We had over four feet of snow out of one storm alone. The deer numbers around here are definitely down. Same goes for the turkeys, and other game critters. Used to see and hear a fair number of coyotes but not many have been around this last year.

This winter has been quite a bit milder so we’ll see if their numbers increase this year

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Coyotes here do well if the summer gopher population is up. Winters are irrelevant. Cold kills cows and deer. Lots of snow kills deer and antelope. Warm with little snow they get at the mice.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang Ben, that was in a lower elevation area? Turkeys etc had no way to move lower?

I hunted a 9k+ mountain in AZ for turkeys and they move down to the near 5k' range in winter then follow the snow line back up in spring. They get snow down at the lower elevation but 4' would do a number on game for sure.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Up north snow and ice can be a coyotes friend. They run on top while deer break through. Deer are quick in good conditions but no stamina. A coyote can lope just about forever. I once had a yearling deer come by me with his tongue hanging out. Coyote showed up about a minute later just loping along. I ended his life but he would have had the deer in minutes otherwise. Edk

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first thought when I read the opening question was that probably powder snow deeper than a coyote’s head would be hardest on coyotes. I’d guess that based on watching coyotes. One winter we had about 4 feet of fluffy powder on the level, with many places deeper. I watched a coyote travel through that. He would leap up to get his head and eyes above the snow, then plunge in way over his head. That had to be exhausting, and nearly impossible to hunt either mice or deer.

On the other hand, when we would get 18 inches to two feet of snow with a crust on top, the coyotes slaughtered the deer. The coyotes ran on top of the snow at neck level to the deer while the struggling deer legs poked through the crust and the ice sometimes cut their legs. I followed a coyote track seven miles up a switchback logging road from a mild valley with little snow up to a plateau where there was hard crusted snow two feet deep. Deer wintered on the plateau (since housing developments and domestic dogs had run them out of the mild valley). I don’t know how that coyote knew it would be easy deer hunting on the plateau but he beelined up there the same night the crust formed.

FWIW, watched a bobcat “swimming”, churning and plunging through powder snow deeper than its body. It made it to a patch of shallower snow under timber, then stopped and panted till it caught its breath while it looked back at me from 30 yards.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/21/24. Reason: clarity
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There isn't really a winter they can't get through.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Dang Ben, that was in a lower elevation area? Turkeys etc had no way to move lower?

I hunted a 9k+ mountain in AZ for turkeys and they move down to the near 5k' range in winter then follow the snow line back up in spring. They get snow down at the lower elevation but 4' would do a number on game for sure.

We’re at 5600 ft. here. The valley floor is 4800. Just an unusually heavy snow year - we needed that too tho. There were probably 80 birds running around here prior to last winter. There’s probably 20 or so now. The good thing about them is they reproduce quickly. Two years ago there were so many they were trapping them to help bolster other areas.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
weak winter, more parasites, less small game, less persimmons, harder on coyotes. my opinion.

Last edited by Roddy1993; 02/20/24.

Thank The Lord for imr4064!
-I don't always run a hoe; but when I do I hit the pipe
Bergara sidekick .223 wylde
Bergara B14 ridge 6.5 creedmoor
Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Hornady V-Max winters are the hardest.....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As far as the hunting for coyotes, deep snow that covered the fences enough for snowmobiles to be unimpeded made it practically impossible for a coyote to get away.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Winter and mange kills a bunch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I lived in the best coyote fur region for a while. I would hunt in all kinds of conditions. Very scant calling in the deep powdery stuff as coyotes understand the energy exertion vs reward scale. Best hunting was the crusted snow as they would book in. Wind blown ridges and sun melted spots always seemed to have them. When snow was scant it was really good. They could cover ground well, you can sneak in well.

NRA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 58 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.