Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Does anyone feel where they are is loaded with coyotes? Here in southern MD numbers are just starting to pick up. A ton of people hunting them and little access does not make for great coyote hunting. Just curious if it’s like this everywhere with a lot of pressure or where may be a good place for a road trip.

Think i need a bigger gun
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Buddy.....everybody is looking for a target rich environment, the key is finding one. 90% of the fish, are in 10% of the water, applies to hunting predators too. You just have to put in the time to find the habitat, prey source, and areas they live in, not many guys are going to point you where to go, just the way it is.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Loads of coyotes here and a lot of pressure.

Problem here is in areas there is more brush than open so seeing many of them can be challenging.

Probably start trapping heavily around the new place next fall. A lot of scat and tracks in my paths/lanes.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hoping for a big game or bird hunter that’s agitated having his hunts ruined by coyotes. Or maybe someone that wants to trade a hunt. Not asking for gps coordinates to a stand site just curious if anyone wanted to share a problem area.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Problem here is in areas there is more brush than open so seeing many of them can be challenging.

Probably start trapping heavily around the new place next fall. A lot of scat and tracks in my paths/lanes.
Definitely makes it a little different. That’s the way a lot of our public land is. I’ve had decent success with shotgun in woods sets. Little different than wide open pasture hunting.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dantheman223wssm
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Definitely makes it a little different. That’s the way a lot of our public land is. I’ve had decent success with shotgun in woods sets. Little different than wide open pasture hunting.
I will probably try some woods calling but the problem on my place is you can really only see 50sh yards with the leaves off. Should make for some fast and exciting action.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I normally setup 30yds downwind of the caller so I can catch them if they try to circle downwind. Let’s me cover caller if they charge in. Have been having success with a few different mouth calls which definitely lend to some in your face action.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dantheman223wssm
Does anyone feel where they are is loaded with coyotes? Here in southern MD numbers are just starting to pick up. A ton of people hunting them and little access does not make for great coyote hunting. Just curious if it’s like this everywhere with a lot of pressure or where may be a good place for a road trip.

come down to WV, can hook you up with a few coyotes but alot of groundhogs, or in up state PA, aliitle more coyotes but alot of groundhogs, i own farms in both states and plenty others to hunt. your close to DC alot of varmint there, you hun the cedarville state farest area?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My best success is going right after the end of deer season, and on public land. I'm always alone, I say hi to the occasional game warden who passes by.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Around here, the thermal night "hunters" have the coyotes spooky as heck. Not all, but a majority of them, from my experience. They Pull off the road into a field, cut the fence if necessary, no respect for property, turn on the caller and maybe kill one out of ever how many show up to the call. Shoot regardless of the background, houses, buildings, livestock, no matter. Maybe kill a deer or 2, or a dog while they're there, just to shoot something. Leave a pile of beer cans in the field and go on to the next place and repeat.
Usually don't have a bonfire like the old hound men fox chasers did, but at least those guys would usually take their trash when they left.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Similar issue here. I’ve been predator hunting MD since the late 80s. Never the abundance of hunters that there are now. Thermal/night vision has created a huge interest. And same where people think because they aren’t shining lights around the field an are hunting suppressed they can just go anywhere.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh yes, you can’t kill a coyote so blame the thermal hunters.

Well the last 10 years it’s been the Fox Pro hunters fault so whatever.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just me- if I was told coyote numbers were
low in this region I'd be ecstatic.
Just west of here in an urban park a coyote
bit some people and had to be hunted down.
The rabies test came back negative, so that
trashed the opinion that they only attack lil
wabbits and mice. If I'm to where I can do it,
I'll put lead in one at any opportunity.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve been calling coyotes since the 70s, often with great success. I call in multiple west/midwest states. The past 10 or so years, my overall success has been on a steady decline, with some occasional exceptions. The relatively low cost of e callers and now great quality thermal equipment has put many more people hunting and “educating”coyotes. The good old days of coyote calling are for the most part over for the average guy. Sole access to large (10,000s acres) blocks of land can be helpful.
There are some target rich environments, but I’m sure you won’t be handed one.

NRA Patron
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My decline in numbers has been directly traced to my lack of time to hunt and Texicans coming up here in Oklahoma and leasing up ground for sole rights to hunt deer. Deer seem to be so important that they don't want anyone messing with "their" hunting grounds. Around here some folks are getting more for a hunting lease than they could get for pasture lease so they ask me to wait till deer season is over before I hunt coyotes. But where I can still hunt and when I have the time, my numbers are still about what they used to be.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TWR
My decline in numbers has been directly traced to my lack of time to hunt and Texicans coming up here in Oklahoma and leasing up ground for sole rights to hunt deer. Deer seem to be so important that they don't want anyone messing with "their" hunting grounds. . .

As much as anything, many aren't from here, but
moved here. Many of the places I used to hunt
aren't available at all without a dufflebag full of
money. A good many that moved here started
just parking in a likely spot and crossed the fence
and went on in. " That's the way it is everywhere
back home. " Uh. . . things ain't that way here.
It's a problem that I could write many pages about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Washington and Oregon.

Anywhere, but they ARE scrawny, most times.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have spent most of my adult life burning fuel searching out varmint rich areas with friendly landowners. I’ve lost a few of these because I took others and in turn they brought a bunch of people. I now varmint hunt by myself, on my own schedule. I enjoy the solitude.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nevada

V
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
V
The DC area has potential .

“To account nothing of one's self, and to think always kindly and highly of others, this is great and perfect wisdom.”
― Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,105 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,198
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.