Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Down toward the bottom it says that the most jail time she can get is 18 months. That's not much for getting a person killed.

Rust Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's Trial Begins Over 2 Years After Fatal Shooting: Everything to Know

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's criminal trial in New Mexico is expected to last through March 6
By Tommy McArdle
Updated on February 21, 2024 11:42AM EST
Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed's criminal trial is finally underway, more than two years after the fatal on-set shooting of the movie's cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins.

On Wednesday, Gutierrez-Reed is expected to appear in a New Mexico courtroom alongside her attorneys Jason Bowles and Todd Buillon as jury selection begins.

She faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and tampering with evidence that Santa Fe County District Attorney's office first filed against her in January 2023.

Gutierrez-Reed entered a written plea of not guilty on Aug. 9, 2023. "Ms. Gutierrez has pleaded not guilty to all charges and is preparing for her day in court," her attorney Bowles said in a statement to PEOPLE at that time. "She looks forward to her day in court, and to having the conduct of everyone on set fully examined."

The agreed-upon conditions of Gutierrez-Reed's release back in August said she could not possess firearms, could not consume drugs or alcohol (with twice-monthly tests) and could not return to the location of the alleged incident.

Gutierrez-Reed was the armorer on the set of the the indie Western film Rust, which Alec Baldwin starred in and produced. During a rehearsal on the movie's set at Bonanza Creek Ranch in Santa Fe on Oct. 21, 2021, Baldwin, 65, discharged a prop gun that happened to be loaded with live rounds, shooting director Joel Souza and cinematographer Hutchins. Gutierrez-Reed was 25 at the time of Hutchins' death. Rust marked her second job as an armorer on a feature film, according to The Associated Press.

While Souza, 50, survived his injuries, 42-year-old Hutchins was killed in the incident. Baldwin maintains that he did not pull the trigger. He was also charged with involuntary manslaughter along with Gutierrez-Reed in Jan. 2023. Those charges against the actor/producer were dropped three months later, delaying his criminal case until he was indicted again by a grand jury this past January.

Baldwin was released on his personal recognizance at that time, according to court documents. He pleaded not guilty to the new charge on Jan. 31, and his trial date was set for Aug. 6 earlier this month, per New Mexico court documents obtained by PEOPLE.

Gutierrez-Reed's criminal trial is expected to run through March 6, according to The AP. More than 40 people are listed to appear as witnesses during the trial, as the outlet reported.

If Gutierrez-Reed is convicted of involuntary manslaughter, she could face up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine, per the AP. The evidence tampering charge filed against her is related to allegations that she gave a small bag potentially containing narcotics to another Rust crew member following the shooting, the outlet reported.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
She was a DEI hire in the first. The real guilt was above her.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No matter who hired her, her job description included making sure all guns were safe. She failed to do her job. There's fault at all levels in this one but that gun should never have got beyond her. Her only defense would be if it went around her and she never saw it. I don't know if that happened or not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
She is obviously guilty. Who knows what the jury will say. I wonder if she is in court with her electric blue and yellow hair and the nose rings.
Bet she got cleaned up.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Not DEI, nepotism.

Her father a somewhat famous competitive shooter that shot alongside Jeff Cooper and Jack Weaver. He was a well known armorer and stunt guy in Hollywood as well.

She’s simply a raging dumbazz that rode her pops coat tails waaaaay past where she had any business.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obviously, she did not do her job. I don't know, but doubt there were underlings about that would allow one to delegate blame. She's primarily responsible for most of the issue, but everyone handling the arm should share some fault.

I happen to be a Hunter Ed instructor, and we do at least a double check of every firearm entering the classroom before students arrive. If/when there's a need to go to a trigger, there is an additional look. When handed an arm, any student that does not do a check gets an additional chewing out.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/21/24.

1Minute
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not DEI, nepotism.

Her father a somewhat famous competitive shooter that shot alongside Jeff Cooper and Jack Weaver. He was a well known armorer and stunt guy in Hollywood as well.

She’s simply a raging dumbazz that rode her pops coat tails waaaaay past where she had any business.[/quote]

THIS is the truth. Regardless of the outcome, her "career" as an armorer is over.

Last edited by Winchester21; 02/21/24.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I lived in that area of New Mexico, I'd attend that trial. I'd be curious as to what the witnesses testify and how Gutierrez Reed testifys. Too far away to attend, I'm afraid.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, from only ‘knowing’ what news articles tell me I think she needs fired for not doing her job, but don’t feel the involuntary manslaughter charge is proper. If how NM laws are worded support the charge then rock on I guess, but I don’t see it happening.

Put Baldwin in jail for the appropriate time, fire Gutierrez-Reed for incompetence and go on to the next case.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, she had her head up her ass. But, where did the live ammo come from and who loaded the gun ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’d be for the attorneys to argue and the jury to decide, I guess.

If Gutierrez-Reed was whom put the live rounds in the gun, then I could see the involuntary manslaughter charges sticking, right alongside Baldwin. If she just didn’t check the gun or if the gun came onto the set without her knowing, then not. That’ll be for the investigation, juror and attorney mess to decipher.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damnitalltohell,

someone on here's trying to make sense.

We just wanna see a hangin'.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
[Linked Image from people.com]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
You beat me to it by 2 minutes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the life of me I can't remember the source, but there was once a rumor that staff loaded up the handgun on site and went out for an evening jackrabbit shoot. Not heard such supported since.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Looks like a mature professionally minded firearm expert to me.

So what if she was up all night getting drunk and coked up… Accidents happen.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, I'm guessing she didn't show up at court looking like that.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
For the life of me I can't remember the source, but there was once a rumor that staff loaded up the handgun on site and went out for an evening jackrabbit shoot. Not heard such supported since.

I heard something to that effect also. IDK if it was rabbit hunting or just casual plinking but it seemed crazy that prop guns would be used with live ammo between sets.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 14,546 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,304
Posts18,545,389
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.