Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Beretta 950 JetFire in 25 ACP.

With my old eyes I can barely see the front blade sight and line it up with the tiny rear notch. Couldn't hit schit.

So I painted it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Took it to the gravel pit today to test it out. I normally wear 1.50 glasses when I shoot handguns. Those were still not strong enough, so I switched to 2.0.
Target was vry blurry at 12 yards, but I could see the sights, kinda.

this is 18 rounds off hand at 12 yards. Not great, but good enough.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Without the paint, I was lucky to put the rounds on the paper.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That would stop a perp,could be worse.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have done it myself, yellow fingernail polish.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep - understand the desire to shoot tiny groups with anything but "center mass" is actually quite a large area. Kinda like deer, people want .5 MOA to hit a basketball sized vitals?

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I purchased this.

https://gunsightpaint.com/

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a firm believer that ALL front sights should be fluorescent orange.

I can't focus on the front sight anymore (I don't actually know that I ever really did that before, back when I could see... I just shot and didn't think about it), so "front sight focus" is out of the question for me anyway. I focus on the target, and I can see the sights, which is good enough (it has to be, I don't have any other option! laugh ).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The load is 55gr Bear Creek cast coated with 1.5gr Accurate #2.

It's the only powder I can get to meter accurate in my Herrells Precision powder dispenser.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always paint my front sight white on handguns if it isn’t done already. Just makes a little quicker to line up for old eyes.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
I always paint my front sight white on handguns if it isn’t done already. Just makes a little quicker to line up for old eyes.

I put an undercoat of white on first and gave that a test. I needed more, so I painted it orange.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Good
For
You

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been doing that for many years, with some front sight designs.

In fact, I painted both front sight and rear sight perimeter on our little Ruger LCP II “ankle biter” backup handguns!

Just replaced the front sights on several Ruger Mark series handguns…..going to “fiber optic”! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/21/24.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to hunt with a guy that didn't have any front teeth. Claimed that a guy shot him in
the mouth with a .25acp. He was in a bar and it was allegedly over a game of pool.
He told me that it knocked him down and he almost choked on his teeth. Rolled onto
his side and spit his teeth and the bullet out.
He seemed like a good dude. I believed his story.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
M
MMM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I bought one of those tiny bottles of Testors Neon Orange enamel paint for models. Make a big big difference for me in picking up the front sight.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Yep - understand the desire to shoot tiny groups with anything but "center mass" is actually quite a large area. Kinda like deer, people want .5 MOA to hit a basketball sized vitals?
They are big enough vitals. But I dont' want to hit anywhere in the vitals. I have areas I want to avoid. Shoulders. Backstraps etc....
And I'll happily shoot quite a bit further than most.

That said there is a debate in a shooting, why keep putting bullets in the heart. Put holes in more vitals. IE you can shoot faster and disable more stuff.... stuff stops working quicker that way. Not sure I totally agree. But I know when we still had the silly shooting quals for handgun license I could shoot the 3 inch officers 45 acp 1911 as fast as I could pull the trigger and never miss the target out to 15 yards I think it went to.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Dan Wesson PM-7 that has all black front and rear, I think I will add some color.

Last edited by steve4102; 02/21/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve4102

It's supposed to be blurry.

Front sight front sight front sight....focus on the front sight.

Everything else is supposed to blur.

The rear sight is just a suggestion.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Feral_American

Blurry is one thing, very blurry is something else.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Chartreuse over white works well for me on black sights.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Chartreuse over white works well for me on black sights.mb

I have that as well.

The kit I purchased came with white, orange, chartreuse and clear for over coat.

Think I will try that on my DW

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For hunting I put a small dab of my wife's white nail polish on the front sight. I like it for how it shows up in woods and against deer. It sucks on white paper. Ha.

Originally Posted by Feral_American

There are "some" not all, well respected and good shots that say the opposite. How it lines up in the rear sight should be the clearest, front sight less clear, target blurry. I've found do what works for you. For me, I line everything up front and rear sight how it's supposed to be, then concentrate on not moving or changing that alignment and concentrate on the target first and foremost with the front sight being in my peripheral as my aiming point. This is rifle irons. A lot of people would say I'm doing it backwards, but it's how I shoot best.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.