Print Thread
Hop To
#19236136 02/21/24
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Seems we are getting more scammers everyday! I miss the good ole days when you could pretty much trust any member. There were exception's but nothing like today. Today bank checks, postal money orders and especially PayPal, Cashout and Venmo seem to be scams. Buyers beware and do your research before committing 100%.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They've definitely caught on and it's not just here. New tool in their toolbox.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm New here , but known on many forums and I was Moderator on several. I like the classified section but , already had a scammer try his game and thanks to another member
here with a heads up , and my former Police officer spidy sense , I'm not letting scammers win. I have purchased Items from 2 members so far that had good communication , good e-mails and lots of posts . I hope to buy more Items I need here.
I hope the Moderators Handle these problems quickly !
I am not above tracking these people down and giving the Info to local authorities.

Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I watch this sight kind of like a hawk. I am looking for particular rifles, so when one pops up, I also don't want to get hosed. The more I see posts like this, the more afraid I get. I don't often sell, actually, I never sell. I am purely a collector so buying a rifle where I can't meet face to face or where they want all the money up front makes me nervous as all get out. I have bought from a few folks and I know they are good, but about the only leverage I have is post count on a seller. Most don't like to go the gunpal route, and I get that, so I have to hope it's good. I have bought a few scopes from folks, but 350 bucks for a scope is a little different than outlaying 1200 or so for a rifle!! It's a shame this is where we are. No trust anywhere. Even in real life I like to mark my money with a counterfeit pen so the buyer knows its real money. You never know anymore. smirk

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I do not do PayPal, I do not do Money Orders. If a seller is not willing to accept my personal check, and I give them overextended time for my check to clear, then I do not deal. Money Orders are no safer than a good personal check and much harder to recover from if lost, stolen or a bad deal.

In today's age of electronic banking my checks clear the night they are deposited. Without fail. I have posted several WTB ads and that has been my largest exposure to scammers. Beware of that category. If unsure of a response to a WRB, request pictures with their driver's license and today's date and time. That has worked for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything more than about $100 bucks, I will PM for a cell number and have an actual conversation to get the warm and fuzzy. If it is an established member I will ask a question about something they had posted in the past, to make sure I am not talking to someone who hacked their account.

I'll ask for a specific pic of whatever the piece is, from a specific angle, etc. and have them text it to me so I can see the time stamp on it. A guy can still get burned but this is about the best way I can tell to avoid a scam. If anyone else has tips or a better idea, I am all ears.

I have never been burned here and have bought some fairly expensive things, but maybe have just been lucky. I plan to be even more diligent here on out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree they are more common than they used to be. They are also getting more sophisticated and know gun lingo better. Nothing worse than a damn thief!

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bamagun01
Seems we are getting more scammers everyday! I miss the good ole days when you could pretty much trust any member. There were exception's but nothing like today. Today bank checks, postal money orders and especially PayPal, Cashout and Venmo seem to be scams. Buyers beware and do your research before committing 100%.

Tell Me, If You are buying a item from ''ME'' How would you pay ''ME''
for this item that You would Be comfortable ''WITH''

Dirty Harry

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by dirtyharry
Originally Posted by bamagun01

Tell Me, If You are buying a item from ''ME'' How would you pay ''ME''
for this item that You would Be comfortable ''WITH''

Dirty Harry

That is up to you, since you’re the seller and I was comfortable with the deal. I never said everyone or every payment was a scam.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Video call with the seller holding the item for sale!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (benchman, boatboy, Blueeagle, 35, Boarmaster123, 7 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,237
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.