Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Mooseman;
Is your 270 the standard rifle or featherweight? Either way good deal.

I must be going to the wrong gun shows.
I saw a 1959 featherweight with about 5% of the finishing on wood left. Metal much better was tagged at 1250. I didn’t want to have to refinish the whole stock and I’m stuck on wanting an earlier year model.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by adamsguy
Mooseman;
Is your 270 the standard rifle or featherweight? Either way good deal.

I must be going to the wrong gun shows.
I saw a 1959 featherweight with about 5% of the finishing on wood left. Metal much better was tagged at 1250. I didn’t want to have to refinish the whole stock and I’m stuck on wanting an earlier year model.

He said "early" 50's. Meaning, made before 1955. Hence, through deductive reasoning, it would be a std wt.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
GOOD NO BS GUNS SELL TO WHAT THE MARKET CAN BEAR, AND ALWAYS WILL. I.E-THE NIB 1990'S FWT IN 270 THAT JUST SOLD HERE FOR ~ $1100 PLUS FREIGHT. THE PROBLEM IS THAT WITH A LOT OF THE "CLASSICS" AGING, IT IS REALLY TOUGH TO FIND AN UNMOLESTED ONE. AND AS FAR AS BUYING AT A GUNSHOW....YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR GAME ON AS THERE IS A LOT OF PIECED TOGETHER STUFF THERE, AND THEY DO A GOOD JOB OF IT.

RAVENS & WOLVES
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mauserfan
GOOD NO BS GUNS SELL TO WHAT THE MARKET CAN BEAR, AND ALWAYS WILL. I.E-THE NIB 1990'S FWT IN 270 THAT JUST SOLD HERE FOR ~ $1100 PLUS FREIGHT. THE PROBLEM IS THAT WITH A LOT OF THE "CLASSICS" AGING, IT IS REALLY TOUGH TO FIND AN UNMOLESTED ONE. AND AS FAR AS BUYING AT A GUNSHOW....YOU BETTER HAVE YOUR GAME ON AS THERE IS A LOT OF PIECED TOGETHER STUFF THERE, AND THEY DO A GOOD JOB OF IT.

Yeah, gunshows aren't what they used to be. I still much prefer the small town gunshow's myself. You'll sometimes find some damn good deals there. I've also gone to some collector's type gunshows and have found some great deals. You have to pick and choose which gunshows you go to anymore, because some of them just suck. The big one they have at the expo center in Portland is an example of one that has gone down hill. It's been that way for about 15 years now.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
bsa1917hunter, you were correct sir! Went and looked at the M70 with him today and it is a 1965 or 66 production rifle.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
He said "early" 50's. Meaning, made before 1955. Hence, through deductive reasoning, it would be a std wt.

Not sure how you could deduce that since Featherweights came out in ‘52.

Last edited by Stammster; 02/21/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Stammster

When was the 270 introduced in the featherweight?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
...Featherweight .270 introduced in 1955.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ha, Ha. I am from Hugo, Ok. & DO NOT know a "MASTER" gunsmith within 75 miles any direction. I know some "shade tree" guys & maybe they call themselves MASTER what ever the hell that means.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I have a .270 FWT from 1956. I’d say it’s 95% except at some point in its life it got a full length bedding job. It’s very professionally done, the only way to tell it was done is to pull the action. Whoever did it must have known what they were doing because it shoots just about every load I’ve tried really well. Killed a lot of deer with it. I think I paid $750 for it around 20 years ago, don’t really remember. My only complaint is that it’s got a low comb stock, which looks very elegant, but even a low mounted scope sits higher than I like.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You may want to rethink that.. He was talking about a 270 Winchester.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jericho
bsa1917hunter, you were correct sir! Went and looked at the M70 with him today and it is a 1965 or 66 production rifle.

Yep, I figured that. It happens. Sometimes the receivers on the older ones look very similar to the pre 64's.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

When was the 270 introduced in the featherweight?

Simple answer: 1955.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UnderMountain
I have a .270 FWT from 1956. I’d say it’s 95% except at some point in its life it got a full length bedding job. It’s very professionally done, the only way to tell it was done is to pull the action. Whoever did it must have known what they were doing because it shoots just about every load I’ve tried really well. Killed a lot of deer with it. I think I paid $750 for it around 20 years ago, don’t really remember. My only complaint is that it’s got a low comb stock, which looks very elegant, but even a low mounted scope sits higher than I like.

Yep, those low comb stocks are a PITA, if you scope them. The comb is way too low. Makes getting behind the scope and getting a full sight picture a biotch. Some guys make due, but I hate them.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It is a Standard weight Rifle .270 that I have. I also Have a Featherweight .243 with the Aluminum buttplate, and a Standard weight 30/06 that was bedded before I bought it but the price was right !
I now regret selling a 1963 Unfired .300 Win Mag Model 70 for 3k when I needed money for Medical bills.
Rich

Last edited by Mooseman684; 02/22/24.

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 375sunrise
Ha, Ha. I am from Hugo, Ok. & DO NOT know a "MASTER" gunsmith within 75 miles any direction. I know some "shade tree" guys & maybe they call themselves MASTER what ever the hell that means.
You are welcome to come to my shop and meet me and see some of my work. I Moved here 10 years ago and setup my shop and was Armorer for Sawyer PD before retiring.
PM Me for Contact info.
( And I do get a lot of guns to repair that were messed with By Bubba Gunschmidts).
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No problem here at all lining up with a lc stock and very MUCH prefer the classic lines

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Poconojack
No problem here at all lining up with a lc stock and I very MUCH prefer the classic lines

It’s a darn poor rifleman that can’t shoot a low comb model 70 with any scope on it. It is always funny to hear references to “eyebox” and “cheek weld”.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jkob
Interesting! How does one get to be a "Master Gunsmith" ??
In 1973 I started in a 4 year Apprenticeship program under a Master gunsmith ,then 6 year Journeyman , finished in 1984 , followed that with 2 years specialized Machine shop and college Welding courses. Lots of Education and Hands on Learning.
That's how I became a Master Gunsmith.
Rich

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I could easily spend the rest of my hunting days shooting just my pre ‘64 fwt, low comb and all. When the walk is long, or the cover is particularly heavy, I have a Kimber Montana and a Ruger Tanger RSI that are slightly easier to manage in those conditions. I don’t own a lot of big game rifles.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 56 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.