Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
well you are hooked now so have you started planning your trip back for the Gemsbuck and Eland yet? but I would not use the 308 on the Eland a little light for an animal that can top 2000 pounds the 416 much better choice

Yes, already talking to people about going back for Eland, Gemsbuck, Bushbuck and Springbuck.

Also considering Dangerous game again.

Africa is so incredible it’s hard to describe it in a way that does it justice.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Reminds me of my last one, I've not been called 'sir' so many times in a fortnight in my life!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
That’s a dream waterbuck. He’s absolutely huge. In my opinion, waterbuck are one of the most essential African game animals.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Reminds me of my last one, I've not been called 'sir' so many times in a fortnight in my life!

Yes sir, the Afrikaans people are extremely polite and respectful. Kuche Safaris is run like a precision machine.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jetjockey
That’s a dream waterbuck. He’s absolutely huge. In my opinion, waterbuck are one of the most essential African game animals.
I understand that the Waterbuck is something special.

The kudu and buffalo are both very good from what I hear as well.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
TREMENDOUS Waterbuck!!!

Great adventure and great live long memories!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M3taco
TREMENDOUS Waterbuck!!!

Great adventure and great live long memories!

Thanks,

I don't know anything about African record books, but intend to have the Waterbuck measured for Rowland Ward and SCI. Like so many Record book animals, it was a lucky find by an individual who was just in the right place at the right time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story and great hunt.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Looks like a great trip. Great campfire memories.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I wanted to share my August Safari with you here.

Outstanding!!!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari

Outstanding!!!
Originally Posted by hatari

Outstanding!!!

Thanks, hope you are well.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thanks so much for sharing pictures and narrative.

I would much rather see the pictures and hear the story from someone I "know" on here than from the perspective of a professional magazine writer.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Thanks so much for sharing pictures and narrative.

I would much rather see the pictures and hear the story from someone I "know" on here than from the perspective of a professional magazine writer.

Well since I was not paid for posting,but I did some get advice from a Professional, Our own Mule Deer, I believe that I am now throughly qualified to claim the title,
" Unprofessional Writer".

I rather think it fits.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 10/09/23.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After the charge,my PH,Pete even called in reinforcement in the person of Arnu, another PH who was full time manager of the place we were hunting. Arnu was carrying
a lovely Merkel 470 Nitro Express double with upgraded wood and engarving.

I asked Arnu if after shooting a bull,if he was down and needed a finisher,could I use his 470 double?

Arnu said that would be fine and if that happened we could switch rifles.

Pete however was not amused,he said "Sir,when we are following up wounded dangerous game,we are not F'ing around,this Sir,is no time for target practice.Having been duely admonished, I didn't bring it up again.

So when we walked up on my very dead buffalo bull, I was actually thinking about shooting it with the 470,just to have a chance to shoot the rifle in hopes of recovering a bullet. But I wasn't going to ask, Arnu must have been reading my mind because he asked me if I wanted to shoot his 470.

Pete however said,it's getting late let's get busy with this buffalo.

The idea of shooting a dead buffalo with a borrowed rifle just somehow seemed frivilous and unprofessional to my PH.

Which does reinforce the notion that I am a fully qualified Unprofessional gun writer. : grin

Last edited by ruraldoc; 10/09/23.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Congratulations on your harvests

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just spoke with a friend I first hunted Africa with in 1993 when I was basically still a kid. We haven't talked for several years but had a great time remembering our hunt. I went back and hunted in 2008 but have not yet made it back. I'd hoped to go for cape Buffalo a few years ago but covid messed that up.

I'm really feeling homesick for Africa tonight. I spent 2 years there and feel like a part of me is still there. Actually it is, I had my appendix out in Joburg at the Florida clinic in 1994. It changed so much between 1994 and 2008 its hard to imagine what its like now. That waterbuck is impressive bur I think that kudu was a very good trophy too. Mine went 55" and yours looks like it went much better than that.

Thanks for the good read,
Bb

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Although I'm not a rifle hunter, I use to be years ago & the 308 is a great hunting rifle & is used extensively in Africa by the locals. Just use good bullets as always & it will take care of you, nice work! Oh, and did anyone tell you that is one heck of a Water Buck. I passed on a good one, nothing like your bruiser but one I would have been proud of with my revolver. Very well done sir!

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 02/22/24.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Your PH Pete, sounds like the real deal. I really appreciate his professionalism when you were tracking your buff. Congrats on a FANTASTIC hunt and thanks for taking the time to write it up and provide pics. Just curious though......When you go back are you going to be a true " looney " and take different calibers? LOL

Regards,
RH

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
To all the folks who read this thread,thanks for the kinds words. Already planning to go back but still figuring that out.

Since my African trip my rifle loonism has been in full gear ,and I have taken the plunge and now have a Brno 602 in 458 Lott and a Merkel Double rifle in 470 Nitro.

The hardest part of going back is figuring out which two rifles to take. I am looking at going again for plains game and Cape Buffalo. In which case I will probably use the
470 double rifle.

If I take the 470,my light rifle will proably be my scoped M70 Winchester in 375 H and H.

This would be a very traditional choice of rifles and cartridges as a opposed to my first trip with the more modern 308 and 416 Rem.

I do still consider the 416 to be the best dangerous game rifle for a client provided he can handle the recoil. If the 416 is a bit too much, the 375 is the natural choice.

You really need a 375 and a 470 double to do the work that the 416 can do by itself in my opinion.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 02/22/24.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a great hunt, congratulations! There's no place like Africa for the hunter.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.