-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The appeal of History is in the details and this UT Austin website packs a bunch 😎

https://library.uta.edu/borderland/tribe/comanche?page=9

The search function at the top is a bit wonky, scroll through the pages at the bottom for events in chronological order.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Very interesting reading this morning, thanks Mike. Also bookmarked to enjoy more later.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Those Comanches raised some heck for a good long while and were succesfull at stopping the westward expansion moreso than any other tribe. Good thing they didn't have the technology and numbers, they were killing/ fighting machines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Yep, two weeks after the fact, after local posses had lost the trail, they brung in Bullis and his Black Seminole Scouts.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Many thanks for the link! I have it bookmarked to peruse this evening

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel
Those Comanches raised some heck for a good long while and were succesfull at stopping the westward expansion moreso than any other tribe. Good thing they didn't have the technology and numbers, they were killing/ fighting machines.

Currently reading this:

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

If you always perceived the Indians as savages who lived from hand to mouth and had no political or economic concepts with which to guide their decisions, this book will change your mind in a big way.

I'm only about 100 pages in, and it is clear to me that Comanche presence was every bit as important as the activities of the French, the Spanish crown, and the British North American presences. The Comanche were a tremendous force in shaping the world we live in today. They thwarted and undermined Spain's ability to control New Mexico and Texas, and I would suggest that the resources consumed in combatting the Comanche may well have weakened Spain's grip on Mexico itself (I'm reaching a little there, but as I get further into the book that bit of speculation may be vindicated).

This is not light reading, by any stretch, and isn't what I would call entertainment. It IS, though, one of the more enlightening bits of history I have ever read.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Comanche Empire is the best analysis of that indian culture I have ever seen. They weren't sophisticated in a European context but certainly intelligent and resourceful. Their susceptability to European diseases was one of the biggest factors in the disappearances of the natives from all of the Americas.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, Comanche Empire puts Comanches in a different light. Not hard to understand why they switched so easily to cattle even before the Frontier closed in on them.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 16penny, 9 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,113
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.