Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Huntz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) can’t stop spying on Americans. The struggling agency’s snooping activities first came to light in 2021 when Yahoo! News reported that the USPS runs an investigation unit known as the Internet Covert Operations Program (iCOP; since renamed the “Analytics Team”). The program “involves having analysts trawl through social media sites to look for what the document describes as ‘inflammatory’ postings and then sharing that information across government agencies.” According to recent watchdog reporting, the scope of surveillance is even larger than previously reported. A recent report by the USPS Inspector General (IG) finds that the agency has 10,000 pieces of law enforcement surveillance equipment valued at over $65 million. And, even more alarmingly, the agency is having trouble accounting for this equipment. It’s time for the USPS to stop snooping and start delivering for taxpayers and consumers.

Following a surge in mail-related theft, policymakers and concerned consumers have called on the USPS to patrol routes and secure collection boxes. The agency seems to have other priorities. According to the IG report, the USPS has spent a significant sum on electronic surveillance equipment, defined as, “equipment that typically records sensitive data such as location, voice, phone numbers, and call log details.” The report then delves into more details about how postal inspectors may use this equipment. But, this information is predictably redacted from the public. First and foremost, the public ought to know why the USPS needs phone numbers and call log details.

Ironically, while the USPS is keeping track of Americans, the agency cannot be trusted to keep track of the surveillance equipment it is using to spy on Americans. The IG identified, “134 of 404 (33 percent) pieces of electronic surveillance equipment and 464 of 1,238 (37 percent) pieces of technical surveillance equipment that...were either recorded with errors or were not recorded in the inventory management system.” Further, policies and procedures around equipment use have not been updated, increasing the risk that employees will abuse surveillance resources.
Recommended
Donald Trump’s Chances of Winning Are Better Than Ever
Kurt Schlichter

The USPS’ surveillance missteps fit into a larger and troublesome pattern for the agency. The USPS has shown no sign of giving up on social media snooping despite questions and scrutiny from lawmakers. And, in 2022, NBC News reported that the USPS is facing legal scrutiny for “seizing shipments of Black Lives Matter masks intended to protect demonstrators from Covid-19 during protests following the May 2020 murder of George Floyd.” These (and other items) were seized because of the external physical characteristics of the parcels, leading to the possibility that agency employees will jump the gun and open packages based on the mere suspicion of counterfeit postage. That’s a lot of power in the hands of an agency with a track record of disregarding Americans’ privacy and political beliefs.

For an agency that disdains privacy, the USPS sure loves keeping its own secrets under lock-and-seal and resisting any push toward transparency. In fiscal year 2023, the USPS received an astounding 4,104 requests for information, rejecting the vast majority of them. In fact, the agency only issued 447 full responses and partially responded to an additional 749 requests. Nearly 3,000 requests, or about 70 percent of FOIA submissions to the agency, were completely rejected by the agency. If the USPS held state secrets akin to the CIA, such a high rejection rate might be warranted. The agency might like to think it’s a spying agency, but as long as its core mission is delivering the mail, it needs to be more upfront with the American people.

The USPS should focus its law enforcement spending on fighting mail theft instead of spying on law-abiding citizens. For example, Postal Police Officers can and should be deployed to protect mail carriers on their routes and safeguard collection boxes. Members of Congress have already pressed postal leadership on this issue, but the result has been less than encouraging. During a May 2023 House Oversight and Accountability subcommittee hearing, Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.) asked Postmaster General DeJoy whether the USPS has, “continued to prevent Postal Police Officers from doing their jobs…by traveling to wherever the problem is taking place?” DeJoy responded baselessly that he doesn’t have the authority to deploy the 700-strong police force to high-crime areas because of laws on the books.

Until the USPS prioritizes fighting crime over snooping on Americans, taxpayers and consumers cannot place their trust in the troubling agency. America’s mail carrier makes for a lousy CIA.

David Williams is the President of the Taxpayers Protection Alliance.
Tags:

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB4

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two things that are blatantly obvious to anyone who was taught critical deductive thinking. (Probably why the schools quit teaching it decades ago)
1. The government has grown far beyond the control of The People.
2. The government perceives us who are old enough to have learned it, and grew up in a free America, are threats to their power.
So they’ve polluted the nation with illegals, they’ve far expanded the abilities of government agencies, (even laid in a good supply of weapons and ammunition, and agents to use it) to spy and monitor The People.
They are in fact, waging a Cold War against American Citizens.
Why this surprises anyone is beyond me, but then I grew up when schools still taught deductive thinking!😀
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
...more alarmingly, the agency is having trouble accounting for this equipment .... increasing the risk that employees will abuse surveillance resources.

Imagine that. Gubbermint employees working from home, tracking you down.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll say it again. Trump should of eliminated the USPS when he had the chance.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Two things that are blatantly obvious to anyone who was taught critical deductive thinking. (Probably why the schools quit teaching it decades ago)
1. The government has grown far beyond the control of The People.
2. The government perceives us who are old enough to have learned it, and grew up in a free America, are threats to their power.
So they’ve polluted the nation with illegals, they’ve far expanded the abilities of government agencies, (even laid in a good supply of weapons and ammunition, and agents to use it) to spy and monitor The People.
They are in fact, waging a Cold War against American Citizens.
Why this surprises anyone is beyond me, but then I grew up when schools still taught deductive thinking!😀
Reon

excellent synopsis right here! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All I know is whoever is running that St. Louis MO hub is nothing short of blithering idiot jackasses who do not have a single fugging clue where other places in this country are located......2 different packages to the east coast....let's send them west to Utah first where they'll sit for DAYS.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
1984 is upon us.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Was this discussed here ?
I've never heard of the USPS mentioned .

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/22/24.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'
Source and link?

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had no idea the agency was web crawling (simply can't fathom the resources required for that) but have long known every piece of mail was scanned and logged. We don't use the service, but our neighbor gets a daily update telling him exactly what's in their PO box.

That being, who, what, and when is certainly available for scrutiny.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/22/24.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe during that long shutdown over the budget, he had the power to cut ALL non essential government employees after a certain length of time.
I was actually a little surprised and disappointed when he didn’t!
He had a God given opportunity right there to yank one of the bigger plugs holding water in the swamp, and I can’t imagine what kept him from seeing that.
I don’t know. Things like this make me believe that not only is it worse than we imagine, it’s actually worse than we CAN IMAGINE!🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Is anyone asking themselves why the Fed agencies are weaponized against Americans? After the clot shot, witnessing blatant nationwide election fraud, and their huge push to disarm us, I seriously believe they intend to try to kill us.

Too many pundits are warning of a major false flag event coming sometime in the near future.

Your speculation is welcome and appreciated.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We live in a police state. It's that simple.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stopped reading when I got to the “Murder of George Floyd”…. Over reach. What else is new.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
USPS is wanting to send Wyoming mail sorting to Montana. WTF

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Oh wow

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems to me that timing is important now. Corruption is being exposed at a record pace, yet no arrest or prosecutions. Whatever they're planning is coming soon. I believe they're terrified of armed Americans, and this is probably the only thing delaying their party.

This leads me to believe the bad actors are stateside, and not in Davos or Belgium.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is that why it is so friggin expensive to send a package?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Around here they can't figure out how to put the envelope in the correct box and close the mailbox door, Paticularly on rainey and windy days. They don't seem like the spy type.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
He couldn't. The Constitution specifically gave Congress the power to set up the USPS, so only Congress can do away with it.
RB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,718
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.