Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Teen Dies Following Snowmobile Incident on Upper Peninsula Lake

SCHOOLCRAFT COUNTY, Mich. (WJMN) - A deadly incident in Schoolcraft County is under investigation. Michigan State Police (MSP) provided details of the crash, where one 15 year old boy has died.

According to MSP, a call came in around 6:35 p.m. Wednesday after someone saw a snowmobile go through the ice, about a mile from the shores of Indian Lake.

Authorities learned two teenage boys were on the snowmobile when it went through the ice. Family members who showed up to the scene, also ended up in the water.

Manistique Public Safety, Sault Tribal Police, Schoolcraft County Sheriffs Dept, DNR, Thompson Township Fire and troopers from Manistique and Gladstone all arrived to help in the rescue efforts. They were able to pull the two adults and one of the teens to safety and take them to Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital where they were treated for hypothermia. They have since been released from the hospital.

At 1:06 a.m. Thursday, The Delta County Sheriff's Dept Dive Team was able to find the body of the missing teen.
WJMN.

Our weather has been 35* to 45* days and 25* to 30* nights. The lake ice is soft and rotten, with many open water places. On a sunny day, the wet ice and the open water looks the same.

Apparently, due to the dangerous ice conditions and the distance from shore, the rescue of the three survivors took considerable time.

This is a tragedy for the family and a reminder of some of the dangerous things we have done when we were teens.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Very Sad, 15 years old- just starting life as a young adult.

Rest in Peace .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Dam sorry to hear

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very sad, so young. My heart goes out to family and friends.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My mom said the worst thing that can happen is if one of he kids died... It is a sad reminder and I have been just as foolish a few times in my life. I can also see them thinking open water looks like ice... One time, I almost drove into Lake Michigan... It was raining really hard , and the road was blacktop and the road ended and turned into a boat launch... I only knew cause I could see a pier and knew there was water there, but the rain bouncing off the road and water looked the same.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/23/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This has been the mildest winter I can remember up here in Michigan....Coast Guard and local Police have had a steady flow of rescues this winter when we had ice....

A couple weeks ago on Lk. St. Clair when we had ice a couple inches a person went on the ice with a Argo with tracks went threw the ice and the Argo filled with water about a mile out....took 2 days to get it out it cost the owner $4000 to recover the Argo with 2 airboats and 4 people....saw a interview of the person that owned the Argo after they recovered it he was laughing saying he will be out there after the Argo gets fixed....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang shame - that's the lake Kitch-iti-kipi feeds isn't it? Just NW of Manistique?

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sad deal, condolences to the family.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A very sad thing indeed. I snowmobile a lot in the U.P. (except this year) and lake riding always makes me nervous. Even in good winters, which this is not, I avoid it. On the flip side, because of the lack of snow this season there have been fewer crash related deaths, but people are taking more chances riding the lakes.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oldidaho: Sad that youngsters days are done!
I feel for his parents.
May he rest in peace.
Seems my home state (Montana) has numerous "snowmobile deaths" every year.
I participate in snowmobiling rarely and cautiously.
Restaurant owner here and lady friend of mine lost TWO husbands (current and former) to snowmobile deaths in 7 days a few years back!
She was husbandless and her son fatherless in 7 days!
When I ride I take it easy and NO "high marking" for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1minute, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 16penny, 204guy, 51 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,912
Posts18,498,283
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.