Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
From early 80's to mid 90's, I was a contractor for NASA and the Army Missile Command doing mostly R&D and Test & Evaluation engineering. One of the many cool projects going on in the early 90's was making metal tools and parts in space using powdered metal as the base material. I wasn't officially assigned to that project, but a close family member was, and my being a "wrench head" and having a strong background in metallurgy, as well as another technology used on that project, I was "consulted" several times.

The strength of the tools and parts depended hugely on the method of fusion of the metal and there were multiple methods tested. They were literally trying to make a "replicator" for hand tools and other parts. Before I left the gov't, they had advanced past normal open-end and combination wrenches and were making some quite good crescent wrenches and channel-lock pliers, as well as screw drivers, nut drivers, and some parts. One of the big things NASA and, to a lesser degree, Missile Command did at the time was "technology transfer" to the commercial world of things they developed. Been wondering if that technology was ever passed on to the commercial world. After I left the gov't, the project was defunded during the Clinton years, the family member transferred onto something else, and I lost track of the 3D metal printing technology.

Lately, I've seen a few gun parts that look like they could've been done using 3D metal printing, and specifically, the guts of a suppressor (can't remember the brand). With the advancements in polymer 3D printing, I've been wondering if anyone is doing metal 3D printing?

P.S.: I know there are several 3D metal printing systems available now, but I was wondering if anyone is making gun parts with one? And if the technology has advanced enough to make stressed parts such as sears, hammers, bolt carriers, and hard to find replacement parts (like the trigger guard assembly for a Ruger 44 Carbine)?

Last edited by Skeezix; 02/23/24. Reason: Clarity

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The short answer is Yes, lots of 3D metal printing going on. I work in the med device orthopedic industry, it is all the rage.
It is also being used in the firearm industry

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What I want to know is which is stronger , 3D metal printed or Metal injection Molding ?
I am not a fan of MIM parts as I am already seeing Failures in Gun parts...
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
MIM is stronger

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Skeezix Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
What I want to know is which is stronger , 3D metal printed or Metal injection Molding ?
Rich

The strength of MIM parts is greatly dependent on the base metal, alloy, quench/cooling temp and time, and other factors. MIM using aluminum alloys has been successfully used for highly stressed engine parts such as pistons and transmission housings for decades.

What kind of metal are the gun parts made from in which you are seeing failures?

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Here's a pretty good example of taking it to the limit. I read about the company in Car and Driver several months ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
Rich

The strength of MIM parts is greatly dependent on the base metal, alloy, quench/cooling temp and time, and other factors. MIM using aluminum alloys has been successfully used for highly stressed engine parts such as pistons and transmission housings for decades.

What kind of metal are the gun parts made from in which you are seeing failures?

I have no Idea what Ruger and some other gun Manufacturers are using metal wise... looks like powdered iron.
Rich

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Last edited by richj; 02/26/24.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,987
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.