Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Looks like a decent price, but I bet it wouldn’t hold up well.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Bought one and set it up with the stove if i recall stove was very close to the walls.
You can get a piece of Nomex fabric to hang between the tent and stove. It's fire resistant, used for welding and other fire resistant clothes. It's not horribly expensive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
R
I just bought a Big Agnes Gold Camp 5. Similar layout, I guarantee it'll be lighter. I haven't sewn the jack in yet. I have a Kifaru medium box stove and a Kifaru small box stove, but the medium will be a better fit.... I have a few floorless rigs, (TiGoat Vertex-8, GoLite SL-5, Bearpaw Wilderness Designs LaGarita 3, Black Diamond Megamid), I just gave the Megamid to my daughter (it has a floor) and I'm giving the SL-5 to my son (it has a jack, so, am looking for another stove eventually if he's interested, probably a Seek Outside or, maybe beg EdT...) This checks all of my boxes. I'll use this 12 months, except hot weather low elevations, which is hammock for me...

Here's a few Google photos in an album. Glad to share more when I sew the jack in...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7wmimEiKvQUoUS6j8

R
R
I recommend putting stove jacks as high up as possible. It keeps the stove pipe vertical and exposes more of it inside to radiate heat.

Stove jacks are easy, cheap to make. A few sheets of fiberglass from the auto parts store, a tube of high temperature silicone mixed ~50:50 by volume. Do this outside, fumes suck. Smear it with a wide putty knife.

I've sewn mine with Kevlar fishing line in a Speedy Stitcher, but a sewing machine and nylon thread, works, I haven't done that, and nylons slippery. I may try using some of the silicone to glue it and get my wife to sew it, then use that mix to seal seams....

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rocky:

I own a 10'x10' siltarp, which weighs 1 1/2#. I'm going to give this a try.
I think this will work well for 3-season backpacking. I'm skeptical about how well it will work in winter weather.

Watch until about half-way through the video to see how it looks with the awning pulled out.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC

Rocky:

I own a 10'x10' siltarp, which weighs 1 1/2#. I'm going to give this a try.
I think this will work well for 3-season backpacking. I'm skeptical about how well it will work in winter weather.

Watch until about half-way through the video to see how it looks with the awning pulled out.
I like that. Her tarp is square. I wonder how it will work with a rectangle. The geometry could change. Around here, it could require guying out a pole since trees can be very hard to find in a usable location.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've thought about that too. I don't think my trekking poles are long enough for that configuration. So, like you have said, if there's no tree available, then the user would have to try to make a pole from available wood. That shouldn't be too hard. Probably want to use two guy lines to steady the pole three dimensionally.

I also own an 8'x10' Siltarp. I've tried half a dozen ways to arrange it into a suitable shelter. None look as good as this.

Last edited by KC; 02/23/24.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KC
I've thought about that too. I don't think my trekking poles are long enough for that configuration. So, like you have said, if there's no tree available, then the user would have to try to make a pole from available wood. That shouldn't be too hard. Probably want to use two guy lines to steady the pole three dimensionally.

I also own an 8'x10' Siltarp. I've tried half a dozen ways to arrange it into a suitable shelter. None look as good as this.

Look as good? I'll bet not! This one has a pretty young lady smiling at you from the door!

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by KC

Look as good? I'll bet not! This one has a pretty young lady smiling at you from the door!

laugh wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.