Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I’m thinking about getting the ruger American predator 18” 308 for deer hunting since it’s compact and lightweight. Was wondering if anyone here can give any reviews on it? Is it worth getting with the known magazine issues? They seem to be excellent shooting rifles. If I don’t go that route with the predator I’m leaning on getting the new gen 2 American in 308.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
HR IC

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a hunting partner who has one of the 18 inch predators in 308. That little carbine is a definite shooter. With that said, the stocks on the Gen 2 Americans are a definite improvement. I think I'd be inclined to pick one of those over the predators.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I have a hunting partner who has one of the 18 inch predators in 308. That little carbine is a definite shooter. With that said, the stocks on the Gen 2 Americans are a definite improvement. I think I'd be inclined to pick one of those over the predators.

10-4 thanks for the info. I also like the fact that the gen 2s come with a 3 position safety. I like the looks of the gen 1 better personally and like the 18” barrel. The 2 position safety is what has me not getting one. I currently have a 450 bushmaster & 300 blackout gen 1s and they are shooters. Great rifles imo. They shoot better than some customs I’ve had.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You gotta buy the one that you want. You'll never be satisfied if you don't.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've got three different predator models. but not chambered in 308. I'll shoot quite well very pleased that the price point. I have shot compact model predator least like that I think that's what it was. for a friend of mine for his kid after mounting a scope did not fit me very good at all as I am very tall lanky type person in a youth model makes it awkward but it shot quite well..

if I want the old style predator I would opt to put an AI mag well in it. and use AICS type mags.

I do not own a Ruger American Gen 2 yet. I do believe they may be some improvements within them not sure if I like the idea they cut the barrels back to 20 inches on the full size ones but it's only 2 in different so.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They make a version that takes AI style magazines. If you can't find one it isn't hard to convert it. I've had 3 of the Predators in 223, 308, and 6.5 CM. The 223 uses AR mags, the 308 used AI style mags and the 6.5 used the standard 4 round mags. I had feeding issues with the 6.5 and eventually let it go.

No complaints with the other 2 and I still have the 223. I replaced the 308 and 6.5CM with Tikka's. I only paid $350 each for the Predators I had and at that price would recommend them. IMO they are now overpriced for what you get. Nothing wrong with them, but for just a bit more $$$ I like Tikka better.

I cut the barrel on the Tikka to 19" and use the 5 round Tikka mags in it and it fills the same role as the 308 Predator. With a 1.5-4X20 Leupold it weighs 6.5 lbs and is a little more accurate than the Ruger it replaced.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have nothing but the highest regard for anyone named Crimson Tide, but the new stocks are butt ugly. ROLL TIDE

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one. It is short, handy, but not that light. It would not be my first choice to take on an out of state hunt, but for a knock about casual hunting rifle it is okay.

I had been looking at a RAR-Ranch in 7.62x39, but got a good deal on the RAR-Predator in 308 and figured that I could load it down to 7.62x39 performance levels. Mine has the detachable magazine and feeds fine. I don't like the stock comb height, so I've installed Beartooth comb riser kits on my 1st GEN RARs that weren't already installed in Boyd's laminated stocks.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I own the predator and recommend that over the base model. I am no means a good shot, it's shoots sub MOA at 100 meters for me with cheap ammo. Stock is cheap but light weight. I'm not a fan of the rotary mags, but you could always change that up too.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mercan gen 2. 308. Barrel length is perfect. I'd get a gunsmith to take red and white ceracoat, and turn that fkn barrel into a candy cane.

I'd also try to paint the stock to look like a decorated Christmas tree.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/12/24.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
They make a version that takes AI style magazines. If you can't find one it isn't hard to convert it. I've had 3 of the Predators in 223, 308, and 6.5 CM. The 223 uses AR mags, the 308 used AI style mags and the 6.5 used the standard 4 round mags. I had feeding issues with the 6.5 and eventually let it go.

No complaints with the other 2 and I still have the 223. I replaced the 308 and 6.5CM with Tikka's. I only paid $350 each for the Predators I had and at that price would recommend them. IMO they are now overpriced for what you get. Nothing wrong with them, but for just a bit more $$$ I like Tikka better.

I cut the barrel on the Tikka to 19" and use the 5 round Tikka mags in it and it fills the same role as the 308 Predator. With a 1.5-4X20 Leupold it weighs 6.5 lbs and is a little more accurate than the Ruger it replaced.

It sucks that they do have feeding issues. My buddy has several predators, and they all have feeding issues. The Predator 6.5 CM is the worst in that department. I also have a buddy that loves the RAR Ranch, he has all of them except for the 6mm Rem, which is a little different than the Predator model. They use AR mags, and they also have clunky feeding. If you can get used to that, I guess they are not bad rifles. Totally utilitarian IMHO, but generally damn accurate. They are for damn sure not like a Tikka, BUT sometimes shoot almost as well. IF you like clunky, go with the RAR..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I loved mine, a .243 that would stack bullets on top of each other. I sold it here, hopefully it’s still shooting good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've never been much of a fan of a 308, but I've been thinking of one, and just loading it with 30 grains of 4198 and a 150 grain RN... sort of a bolt action 30/30 equivalent.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tikka

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ruger is now marketing a stagger feed mag for the short action American series. It works perfectly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by remingtonman
I’m thinking about getting the ruger American predator 18” 308 for deer hunting since it’s compact and lightweight. Was wondering if anyone here can give any reviews on it? Is it worth getting with the known magazine issues? They seem to be excellent shooting rifles. If I don’t go that route with the predator I’m leaning on getting the new gen 2 American in 308.
I have 3 Ruger Americans. All 3 use the rotary magazines. I have not had any issues with any of mine and their magazines. 2 are compacts and one is a predator in 22-250. All are way more accurate than I am. None of them have ever shot a single round of factory ammo.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Tikka

That’s what I ended up getting, due to all the issues I kept hearing and seeing with the tigers. I’m gonna wait it out and let them work the bugs out then maybe later I will pick one up. In the mean time I just picked up a tikka t3 lite in 308 for a very good price

Last edited by remingtonman; 02/13/24.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Got both at the shop. Gen 1 on sale cheap.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Ruger is now marketing a stagger feed mag for the short action American series. It works perfectly.

∆ This ∆

If the price is right, buy without fear.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Are you referring to the magazines that extend out the bottom of the stock, or is it a new stagger feed mag that is flush with the stock?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 57 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.