Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter
It's obvious with SCI that it's not free range, I just had never heard of highfence mule deer hunts before.
I wonder if the "Hunter" used a GunWerks rifle and took that buck at Long Range? That'd be icing on the cake.

Last edited by shootbrownelk; 02/24/24.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
To me the arrow looks like it went through the guts, don’t see any evidence that it went through the chest. Doesn’t really matter dead is dead.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Desert mule deer generally live in the low hills, mountains and lowlands of the Southwest. They seldom truly migrate. Rocky Mountain deer tend to be bigger of body with a potential because of larger skeletal systems to produce more massive and larger antlers.

No, not exactly--though desert mule deer do live in lower country. The further north you go in North America, all mammals tend to have larger bodies because they're more resistant to long, cold winters. The same applies to elevation, because winters are longer and colder higher up. I have killed mule deer up to around 400 pounds live weight in Montana and Alberta, both up high and on the Alberta plains. The growing seasons for green vegetation are also longer up north than in hotter climates further south as as in Sonora, where a small body allows deer to dissipate body heat more easily.

Another side-effect is larger ears on Sonoran mule deer, which act as "radiators" The spread of those I've measured on mature bucks was around 26", while the ears on far larger-bodied deer up north is often 21-22".

Around 20 years ago I killed a free-range Sonora buck with a 29-1/2" outside spread, which "grossed" a little over 190 B&C. After weighing a bunch of other mule deer bucks over the years on the accurate freight scale in my garage, I guessed the buck's field-dressed weight at around 160-170 pounds.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Everything else aside, wonder what that deer cost him.??

My youngest has a friend that lives on a "whitetail ranch". A guest pays $10K for a "hunt"!
Last time the kid was there, a guest came in with his "trophy"(?)! The "trophy fee" was an additional $12K. The guest had seen a bigger deer he was thinking about. The "guide" guesstimated the trophy fee for that one would be about $16K!

THEN.....the guy tells the outfitter to reserve 3 spots for next year. He wanted to bring his 2 kids next time.

There was a story going around about Bill Gates when he first made his fortune. If Bill saw a $100 bill on the sidewalk, stopping to pick it up would cost him money!!!!
Some of these "techie" people make SO much money, planning a hunt would actually cost them more than just doling out the cash for a "package" hunt.

Today's society! 🤷‍♂️

It’s an industry that creates jobs. I have no problem with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice deer.
Congratulations, to this hunter.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Lens trickery. Compare the width of the rack with the hunter’s knees-head distance and the length of the deer’s body.

That’s a really nice buck so they didn’t really need to use a wide angle lens to make it look bigger. By doing that, it gives the naysayers an opening to criticize the hunter, the buck and circumstances of the kill.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
High fence deer are about as interesting as pen raised birds.....(ie not interesting at all)

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A couple of things about these deer. Jack O'Connor used to hunt them in Sonora, Mexico. I've hunted and studied them for years in Kalifornia. O'Connor pointed out that apparently the local Indians were eating these deer long before the Desert Bighorn showed up in our deserts. Our own studies have found that they live a lot longer than most deer. I've killed two bucks that were over 10, one being 14 yrs. old. Every year when we studied them, a fair number were taken between the ages of 10 to 14, and a few 15-18 yrs. One, was found to be 20.5 yrs.
They get big because they have access to plenty of quality food, and a very low parasite load. My 14 yr. old produced 99 lbs. of cut and wrapped meat. The guy who killed the 20.5 yr. old killed one that produced 140 lbs. of meat.
Antlers ? O'Connor reported a 42 inch buck in his day. I've seen a water hole, night time photo of one that had to be at least 45 inches wide. No "high fence" buck were any of these. BTW, the last I heard, the state bow record for Kalifornia was one of these bucks.
What does all this mean ? They have lots of rough country to hide in and lots of them die of old age. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 02/24/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a disabled (wheelchair) friend from Vancouver, who paid to shoot a very big 425" elk in an enclosure in Saskatchewan and paid lots of money to do that.

I have been hunting elk for years, no way in the world is someone confined to a wheelchair going to kill a wild Elk, in "Fair Chase Conditions".

Fenced animals should never be listed in B&C, P&Y, or SCI IMO.

Sort of like going pheasant hunting and the pheasant are tied to trees lol.

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/24/24.

KB

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I believe Wade Lemon still has a court date pending?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Desert mule deer generally live in the low hills, mountains and lowlands of the Southwest. They seldom truly migrate. Rocky Mountain deer tend to be bigger of body with a potential because of larger skeletal systems to produce more massive and larger antlers.

No, not exactly--though desert mule deer do live in lower country. The further north you go in North America, all mammals tend to have larger bodies because they're more resistant to long, cold winters. The same applies to elevation, because winters are longer and colder higher up. I have killed mule deer up to around 400 pounds live weight in Montana and Alberta, both up high and on the Alberta plains. The growing seasons for green vegetation are also longer up north than in hotter climates further south as as in Sonora, where a small body allows deer to dissipate body heat more easily.

Another side-effect is larger ears on Sonoran mule deer, which act as "radiators" The spread of those I've measured on mature bucks was around 26", while the ears on far larger-bodied deer up north is often 21-22".

Around 20 years ago I killed a free-range Sonora buck with a 29-1/2" outside spread, which "grossed" a little over 190 B&C. After weighing a bunch of other mule deer bucks over the years on the accurate freight scale in my garage, I guessed the buck's field-dressed weight at around 160-170 pounds.

Agree 100% Mule Deer. I've killed two mature Sonora bucks, and both were about that same body weight. The big whitetails we kill in the TX Panhandle not too far from OK/KS are a little bigger than the Sonora buck I've seen. You can generally take what MartinStrummer says and divide it by 2 and be closer to the actual truth.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
It's obvious with SCI that it's not free range, I just had never heard of highfence mule deer hunts before.

It's a good place for all the flush, lardasss lawyer types to go kill stuff and take hero pics just like the numerous whitetail places all over America. They have "preserves" down there for desert bighorns nowadays too. The SCI term "estate" is a direct correlation to the high fence where the hunt takes place. I do like the way SCI scores deer though. No deducts for symmetry like B&C, just a straight up gross score.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Look closely at the mouth, is that rolled corn I see?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Absolutely High Fenced...💯‼️

Proud NRA Life Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Weird looking muley with a tiny body. This is more typical of antler size to body ratio up here:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider

It's a good place for all the flush, lardasss lawyer types to go kill stuff and take hero pics just like the numerous whitetail places all over America. They have "preserves" down there for desert bighorns nowadays too. The SCI term "estate" is a direct correlation to the high fence where the hunt takes place. I do like the way SCI scores deer though. No deducts for symmetry like B&C, just a straight up gross score.
I completely agree on the scoring method. I am much more interested in the gross score. It tells me how much bone is on its head.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jk16
Well, I Googled "Rancho el Volteadero"..

A Mexcvan "Resort" with 5,000 Acres under High Fence.

That Mule Deer is just another piece of livestock. Sad.

In case you didn't know, 5,000 is about three miles by three miles.

I seriously doubt most here cover that amount of ground while hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice buck. Definitely livestock.

Congrats to the guy on buying a cool looking deer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman

If you think that deer had the run of 5,000 acres I have some annuities I'd like to sell you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Ringman

If you think that deer had the run of 5,000 acres I have some annuities I'd like to sell you.

I'd be interested in those. Also looking for an Avalanche.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.