Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by pka45
Is it too much to ask for a stainless (or even nitride), micro-length, decent OAL-capable, fast twist 223 bolt rifle?

I guess it is.

Also, Howa, come on and import that SS Mini!

Does it have to be the 223 chamber? You could nitride a Howa mini and rebarrel with a stainless tube twisted to your spec and chambered/throated in something like 22 Grendel. With the Oregunsmithing BDL bottom metal and magazine, I think you’d have room for some skookum bullets.

Just a thought….

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
kwg[/quote]

I contacted Ruger about the std. magazine being "too short" when using heavier handloaded bullets, and inquired about a longer accessory magazine, their reply was that they don't recommend using handloaded ammo....WTF?[/quote]

Most, if not all firearm companies will void the warranty if using handloads.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gals Google a bunch,but shoot VERY fhuqking little,if at all. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by kandpand
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Stainless 700, stainless Douglas #1 @22", Grayboe Trekker, M5 bm, AM 5 rounder w/filed front for OAL.

After spending a fair amount of time with one this past year, the Trekker is making it hard to like other lightweight stocks.

Would love to see a picture of that rifle!

It's a handy little rifle. I've had the barreled action for a long time but only recently changed it to the Trekker and M5. It's cerakoted and the bolt fluted/lightened, etc.

Most time spent with the Trekker has been with the 7-08 in the camo stock. Season before I had a Proof 20" Sendero carbon barrel on it. The forend has a bit much give for the Sendero as it could be made to touch if squeezed. This season a Lilja #1 in 7-08 was a great improvement.

I tried the Trekker just to try it. I've found it hard not to like.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nimblehunter
Found out that I have the older version American w/o the magazine well & would have to upgrade to the newer style stock just to be able to use the AI magazine. Not going thru all that.
I have an early Ruger American as well. I have the same issue. Since I only take it coyote hunting I bought 3 more magazines off of Ebay. It is what it is.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Here we are a year later and Howa is importing stainless Minis, but rumor has it that they're adding flush bottom metal later this year! I assume that means it will allow a decent OAL as well, and we'll have to see about twist rates but I'd assume 1/8. I guess my "proper 223" is closer than I thought!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How about a CZ 600 LUX?....9 twist

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or a Tikka Superlight...8 twist

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
pka45 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ingwe

Great guns no doubt. CZ is beautiful, but I'd rather have stainless and an 8 twist. Tikka I just can't abide being a long action and having OAL limitations.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Great guns no doubt. CZ is beautiful, but I'd rather have stainless and an 8 twist. Tikka I just can't abide being a long action and having OAL limitations.

A friend of mine is working on a mag that may help the Tikka OAL restrictions. It allows 2.58” OAL and the one I’ve been messing with has been 100% reliable in my T3x compact .223.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What does micro-length mean?

Ask your wife.. ha ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I kind of wish cz would do the 600 alpha with a 20" 7 twist. I had a little 600 trail with the 7 twist and it shot but it could have used a lighter barrel contour. My kids didn't like shooting it. They said it was too front heavy and much preferred my 16" pencil ars.

I believe the CZ 600s are nitrided which I prefer over blued. I'd but a 223 lux if they would have went 7 twist on it too. I shouldered a lux in 308 and liked it. I like the open sites on it. They seemed easy to see and lined up well. I may end up with a 223 lux one day anyways. I've got Hornady 75g bthps to shoot well I'm some 9 twist guns.

Bb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don’t get my panties in a twist because it’s not stainless or quicker than a 12T. The 223 Rem was built right from the get go as a 400 yard varmint hunter. Then someone saw what it does on long range gongs and went full retard shooting big animals way out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s funnier than fhuqk,when CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqks “think” that their Do NOTHING Stupidity is an “advantage”. Hint.

Bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps ladies,if only to your Window Licking chagrin. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
I don’t get my panties in a twist because it’s not stainless or quicker than a 12T. The 223 Rem was built right from the get go as a 400 yard varmint hunter. Then someone saw what it does on long range gongs and went full retard shooting big animals way out there.

My friend, this is no place for pragmatism..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ladies,

Stacking STUPID,don't make things "better". Hint.

Though Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/19311600#Post19311600

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Buy a tikka.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
Practicality and common sense will get you hate mail on this campfire. You need to get out that freak flag and wave it around some so you can fit in a bit better. laugh

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Ruger American, SOB is very accurate with 62 grain Bear Claws. Hint

Last edited by hanco; 03/19/24.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.