Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My son's best friend recently acquired a 'Mauser'. I haven't examined this gun, so I know very little about it outside of the photos linked below. Says it won't extract. He's shot 10 rounds through it, not a single one extracted from the chamber as it should have.

Figured I'd throw this up here before I dive into it.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c1xr_zS1nObPbFi2MgMh9vfw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/00aZBrhFuchCHV_T1HXjmJ-BQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b6733Fcp-yHw_B3-vqVjwv1w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b8CWsjtuSmu00TDj3WxbeuOQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0fe0cnYUbe-pYOqZeSuu1yzcA

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like some body over did a bubba job. I’d guess they wanted to close the bolt on a chambered cartridge a ground off too much extractor. You can buy the extractors many sites.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
yep needs a extractor

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Photo #1 is the only cogent photo...but hell, the extractor is obviously not engaging the rim. If there was a photo of a proper stock Mauser boltface the e xtractor would be shown to extend well in toward the center toward the firing pin hole. That extractor is bent or ground or the wrong part. If it's bent, all it probably needs is to be bent outward BEHIND the the extractor collar and in front of the shoe which bears on the bolt body...which will pivot the front in toward center. 3 gentle bends are preferable to 1 kink.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What flintlocke said.....

Extractor did not appear to have been ground, at least not recently, because of patina on the face. I'm with bent or wrong part. Looking down on the extractor from the top, not the end, it should appear slightly bowed away from the right hand side of the bolt or parallel to the bolt.

Another possibility is an issue with the extractor collar being the wrong part/off spec or ground a bit on the outside of the lips in order to fit the extractor over the lips on the collar.

Numrich should have both extractors and extractor collars.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ya I'd try bending the extractor first and adding tension.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try cleaning the eff'ing thing. The extractor claw has not been modified from what little I can see in the one relevant photo. Show some more pics of the extractor. But first, remove it and clean it well. Then show some pics of the extractor pictured looking down from the top of the bolt so that the extractor is on the right side of the bolt body. More pics of the front nose of the bolt so we can see how far onto the boltface the claw protrudes. Lastly, With the bolt oriented in teh fire position, slide a cartridge up under the claw onto the boltface. The extractor should hold it in place. Include a pic of that too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
Looks like some body over did a bubba job. I’d guess they wanted to close the bolt on a chambered cartridge a ground off too much extractor. You can buy the extractors many sites.

Idiot mod, as far as I'm concerned..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, something is up with that extractor.

[Linked Image from hallowellco.com]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by z1r
Try cleaning the eff'ing thing. The extractor claw has not been modified from what little I can see in the one relevant photo. Show some more pics of the extractor. But first, remove it and clean it well. Then show some pics of the extractor pictured looking down from the top of the bolt so that the extractor is on the right side of the bolt body. More pics of the front nose of the bolt so we can see how far onto the boltface the claw protrudes. Lastly, With the bolt oriented in teh fire position, slide a cartridge up under the claw onto the boltface. The extractor should hold it in place. Include a pic of that too.

Yeah, the first photo doesn't match the actual position of where the extractor would be when extraction starts to occur - it would be at the top of the bolt of the photo above, and then rotate over the lug (as in the photo above).

My guess is also that there may be crud in there and possibally also bent that reduces the force of the extractor against the case head. It doesn't look like it's been ground down to snap over the case head (if the case rides in front of it, if you know what I mean.)

Sometimes the bolt has to be worked quickly when feeding a round so the cartridge doesn't jump in front of the extractor - my Israeli 308 is like this, and the bolt won't close if this happens.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Man - thanks Ya'll! That's more than I expected. There's a good chance I can get the rifle over here on my bench at some point here in the next week, and I'll update as I can.

Much help here. Much appreciated.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Extractor cut to fit a magnum case head?

S
Sniggly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Time to update this thread again! Problem solved.

On close inspection and cleaning the extractor seemed to function properly right up to the point where it needed to actually removed the bullet from the chamber, so, we ended up bending the extractor (3 different places per Flintlocke). That fixed the extraction issue. We also ended up doing a deep clean on the chamber and the bore because they were both train wrecks in a women's makeup shop (borescoped). The chamber was actually leaving scratches on the brass and bullet once we got the extractor working.

The young man that owns this rifle now owns a functioning rifle and he can't wait to get it to the range.

Thanks everyone!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
An unmodified Mauser extractor will not jump over the case rim if a cartridge is dropped into the chamber, and the bolt will not close all the way. Cases must feed from the magazine unless the front of the extractor is tapered pretty radically. That's what "controlled round feed" is all about. A Mauser will feed reliably even if it's turned upside down, and if the bolt is short stroked it will eject the live round and pick up the next one in the mag. Try that with your Remington 700 sometime!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pull the bolt out. Put a loaded dummy round on the bolt face hold at 45 degrees and rotate holding at 45 degrees, the cartridge should hold to the bolt face in a full circle. If the cartridge does not hold, replace or bend the extractor, until the cartridge does hold onto the bolt face. The Mauser design is such that it should only feed from the magazine, thus a controlled feed.

You can push the extractor over a rim, may bend if done repeatedly, but not advised as a habit for proper function.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.