Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A wild one horned spike is more of a trophy than that or any other high fenced buck.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would be happy to have his shed antlers from last year.
Jus' for lookin' at.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You have to keep in mind that high fence operations are farms and the deer are farm animals. They breed them for large antlers and sell them. The 'hunters' will pay a premium price for the biggest ones.

It's no different than bulls. There are show ring bulls that win in the ring and then bred to hand chosen cows to improve the genetics. Their calves are kept or sold for more breeding. Then there the range bulls. They're usually still pretty good bulls but a little lower quality and they're turned out with run of the mill cows to produce calves for the market.
Top level bucks are kept for breeding and bred to proven does. They won't be shot unless the price is high enough to justify giving them up. I'm guessing that most deer farms have a few of them hidden away from seeing eyes so they won't be temped by high bids for them. Lower level bucks are sold for shooting. Like range bulls, they can still be very high quality with huge antlers but just not quite good enough to be in the genetic improvement program.

Remember that this buck had a daddy somewhere. I'd like to see him. It's also possible that this one needs to be replaced with fresh genes so he's sold before age starts shrinking antler size.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
That’s a monster but SCI is a clue that it was NOT free range. High fence irregardless of the vast acreage it roams allows them (rancher) to supplement their diet with added minerals for antler growth….plus having readily available fresh water year round in an environment where water is scarce also reduces stress and helps to promotes overall health of the animals as well as antler growth.

He’s definitely a beautiful beast…if it was a potential Boone & Crocket or in this case a Pope & Young entry instead of SCI I’d be “jealous”.

sci score does not mean high fence......not talking about this deer but in general. sci score is a score, not a reference of where it came from....bob

Bob…. I know what SCI is and I also know that they are the ones that list NON free range animals where P&Y or B&C are strictly free range. Like I said in my post, the fact that it’s listed under SCI and not P&Y tells me that it wasn’t free range as defined by P&Y.

If this was a true free range animal then they’d have it classified under P&Y instead of SCI. SCI is the “catch all” for the animals that CANNOT be classified under B&C or P&Y rules…😉

Have a good day 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by jk16
Well, I Googled "Rancho el Volteadero"..

A Mexcvan "Resort" with 5,000 Acres under High Fence.

That Mule Deer is just another piece of livestock. Sad.

In case you didn't know, 5,000 is about three miles by three miles.

I seriously doubt most here cover that amount of ground while hunting.

That sounds like a lot but when it’s surrounded by high fence and strictly managed for deer bought or breed for antler genetics, combined with terrain that’s managed for accessing the deer, long shooting lanes strategically placed all over the land, easy truck access trails, elevated shooting houses, controlled bait and water locations, trail cams monitoring everything and sending real time pics to your phone, deer selectively farmed and fed for antler growth. Three miles by three miles of open desert scrub land that the deer can’t leave isn’t all that big of an area to hunt.

I’m not saying that’s exactly how it was done there but that seems pretty close. It’s SOP for deer and elk “ranches” in this area.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
5000 is actually 7.8 sq miles, in whatever configuration its in. So, no, it's not a very big area in open country. A deer might not have any place to hide other than just over the hill. If it's timbered, that's another story entirely.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I had a disabled (wheelchair) friend from Vancouver, who paid to shoot a very big 425" elk in an enclosure in Saskatchewan and paid lots of money to do that.

I have been hunting elk for years, no way in the world is someone confined to a wheelchair going to kill a wild Elk, in "Fair Chase Conditions".

Fenced animals should never be listed in B&C, P&Y, or SCI IMO.

Sort of like going pheasant hunting and the pheasant are tied to trees lol.

My buddy is a paraplegic and has killed lot's of big game including a brown bear. He hunts off a quad. It's all been on public ground or ranches (not high fenced). Now I'm not sure if that's considered fair chase, but he does it.

Carpe' Scrotum
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Jimdandy there

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

If you think that deer had the run of 5,000 acres I have some annuities I'd like to sell you.

I hunted pigs on a 4,000 acre "ranch" and every animal there was free range for the whole thing. I had to hunt for them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
How a man spends his money is no business of mine, but the whole concept of trophies and pay for, even marginally, captive animals...it just doesn't sit right with me or the way I prefer to hunt.
I'd much more likely to be pards with the guys that contributed to that thread on here a while back...the one where the guys recounted their hardship hunts. It's about respect...for self...for the hunt tradition...for the quarry.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

If you think that deer had the run of 5,000 acres I have some annuities I'd like to sell you.

I hunted pigs on a 4,000 acre "ranch" and every animal there was free range for the whole thing. I had to hunt for them.

I hunted sheep in the wilderness of Alaska, had to hike in 15 miles to get to the spot.

So what.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I telling you guys it’s Mitch Rampalla !!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Everything else aside, wonder what that deer cost him.??

My youngest has a friend that lives on a "whitetail ranch". A guest pays $10K for a "hunt"!
Last time the kid was there, a guest came in with his "trophy"(?)! The "trophy fee" was an additional $12K. The guest had seen a bigger deer he was thinking about. The "guide" guesstimated the trophy fee for that one would be about $16K!

THEN.....the guy tells the outfitter to reserve 3 spots for next year. He wanted to bring his 2 kids next time.

There was a story going around about Bill Gates when he first made his fortune. If Bill saw a $100 bill on the sidewalk, stopping to pick it up would cost him money!!!!
Some of these "techie" people make SO much money, planning a hunt would actually cost them more than just doling out the cash for a "package" hunt.

Today's society! 🤷‍♂️

These people are nuts.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
Desert mule deer generally live in the low hills, mountains and lowlands of the Southwest. They seldom truly migrate. Rocky Mountain deer tend to be bigger of body with a potential because of larger skeletal systems to produce more massive and larger antlers.

Around 20 years ago I killed a free-range Sonora buck with a 29-1/2" outside spread, which "grossed" a little over 190 B&C. After weighing a bunch of other mule deer bucks over the years on the accurate freight scale in my garage, I guessed the buck's field-dressed weight at around 160-170 pounds.

Agree 100% Mule Deer. I've killed two mature Sonora bucks, and both were about that same body weight. The big whitetails we kill in the TX Panhandle not too far from OK/KS are a little bigger than the Sonora buck I've seen. You can generally take what MartinStrummer says and divide it by 2 and be closer to the actual truth.

JG,

Here are the photos of the two largest-antlered Sonora bucks my buddies and I took in 2004. It's quite apparent that the bodies are relatively small, especially compared to bucks farther north--but they have big ears! My buck, as mentioned earlier, had a 29-1/2" outside spread. The other buck (held by Oswaldo Arrizon, the younger brother of the outfitter, who I believe is now the outfitter) had a 31" spread.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John............for big Sonoran bucks, yours &, especially your buddy's are more typically formed than many I've seen. Many are pretty badly crab-clawed.

Many larger heads from there tend to be more like the one in the OP than typical, &I really don't like their looks.

The pic in the OP is BIG, no matter how it was taken, but IMHO, it's not an attractive head compared to most of the larger heads from further North.

Here are what good looking Mule Deer should look like.

All these are from some areas in SE Idaho where we hunted for a long time before things there went to hell.

The 1st pic is the current Idaho all time #2. The bottom pic is me with a thinner, but wide racked deer that made 177. The middle pic is of a couple of really big, heavy deer.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've dreamed about a 30" Mule Deer for years.

Guess I'll just have to pay to play.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
John............for big Sonoran bucks, yours &, especially your buddy's are more typically formed than many I've seen. Many are pretty badly crab-clawed.

Many larger heads from there tend to be more like the one in the OP than typical, &I really don't like their looks.

The pic in the OP is BIG, no matter how it was taken, but IMHO, it's not an attractive head compared to most of the larger heads from further North.

Here are what good looking Mule Deer should look like.

All these are from some areas in SE Idaho where we hunted for a long time before things there went to hell.

The 1st pic is the current Idaho all time #2. The bottom pic is me with a thinner, but wide racked deer that made 177. The middle pic is of a couple of really big, heavy deer.

MM

Cool! You don't see too many African-American hunters with trophy bucks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Duh! It’s black history month!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I had a disabled (wheelchair) friend from Vancouver, who paid to shoot a very big 425" elk in an enclosure in Saskatchewan and paid lots of money to do that.

I have been hunting elk for years, no way in the world is someone confined to a wheelchair going to kill a wild Elk, in "Fair Chase Conditions".

Fenced animals should never be listed in B&C, P&Y, or SCI IMO.

Sort of like going pheasant hunting and the pheasant are tied to trees lol.

My buddy is a paraplegic and has killed lot's of big game including a brown bear. He hunts off a quad. It's all been on public ground or ranches (not high fenced). Now I'm not sure if that's considered fair chase, but he does it.

I have no issues hunting from vehicles or in fenced-off areas, my only point was that where I hunt elk in the Rocky Mountains, it is not possible if you are disabled. I ride horses myself.

I also have ZERO issues with high-fenced, shooting of domesticated animals, whatever turns your crank, go for it.

My point was that Fenced Animals should not be listed in any record books unless there is a book for Highest Scores for Fenced in Animals.

Because you can not compare the two, it would be like comparing Apples to Elephants.

Good for your friend, I admire him!

Cheers

KB

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,567
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.