Print Thread
Hop To
M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Taking a trip to southern AZ in late March to see some new country and escape the cold for a few days. Plan is to fly into Phoenix, rent a car, and head south. I'd like to get some suggestions for out-of-the-way (though not too rough for a rental car) car camping spots south of Tucson. I'm especially interested in the Santa Ritas and Huachucas and the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, but very open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

GB4

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Those areas were heavily used smuggling routes when I lived down there, and I'm sure it's worse now. OK to visit during the day, but I would find somewhere else to camp.

Dale

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
PM sent.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Also interested in places to camp around Bisbee, or hotel recommendations.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It's been quite a few years since we have had trash and troubles in southeastern Arizona. Good solid fence from NM to west of Palominas/Herford area. Still incomplete fencing south of Huachuca's, just the crossed rail ties, vehicle barrier type obstruction, but still not a terrible amount of traffic.
I camp all over that area deer season and coyote hunting, never a worry. Anything east, from Bisbee to NM line I wouldn't worry the least. Even if any are encountered, they don't want to pizz with you, they want to pass thru without any problems.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I spent a lot of time in Arizona (Apache Junction) during my childhood and teen years and it was magical. It still had the feeling of the Wild West and I soaked it up. Signs behind the bar that indicated you were required to check your pistol in if you’re drinking in the bar and men taking an evening stroll holding hands with their wife with their pistol on their side….I loved everything (except the summertime temperatures 😳) about Arizona. Several friends have moved there in the past 4 years and they too love it.

I have always been in awe of Alaska and my heart will forever be in the Last Frontier but springtime in Arizona is awe inspiring as well. The first spring I spent in Arizona was an assault to all my senses. The desert in bloom, the sweet fragrance of the desert…especially after a rain and the wide open spaces that allowed a young boy with an endless imagination was something that I’ll take to my grave.

I don’t know if there’s any place in the world that exceeds Arizona in March and April but if there is I definitely want to go there.

I would say have fun but I know that you will….👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Funny Apache junction mentioned. Spent 6 days camping there in December. If from the east coast. I highly recommend as mentioned above. Didn’t think I’d dig the area as much as I did. Really want to go back. McDowell mountain regional park is where I stayed and can’t recommend it high enough. Easily the nicest and cleanest I’ve been to

A man's got to know his limitations!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wouldn't worry about camping anywhere south of Tucson. I camp down there every time I draw a deer tag.

It's way better now than it was 20 years ago. Border patrol has made a huge difference.

Spent 11 days down there in December, wonderful place to spend some time. Have used a wall tent for years down there, never had anything stolen.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Maxwell
Taking a trip to southern AZ in late March to see some new country and escape the cold for a few days. Plan is to fly into Phoenix, rent a car, and head south. I'd like to get some suggestions for out-of-the-way (though not too rough for a rental car) car camping spots south of Tucson. I'm especially interested in the Santa Ritas and Huachucas and the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area, but very open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

I don't mean to insult your intelligence or experience in any way, but if you have never camped in the real Sonoran desert...there are a couple things to keep in mind.
People not used to the desert tend to want to camp in dry washes or arroyos. Sandy and flat, maybe a little firewood, often there are pretty good size mesquites offering shade and windbreaks. Attractive spots...but also attractive to Mojave Green rattlers. And that thunderstorm you hear rumbling off in the distance? Maybe nothing...maybe a 4 foot wall of water with no warning. Just sayin'.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've hunted down there for 30 years, camped in the same spot for the last 5-6. Used to see or hear the BP vehicles coming or going on the little 2 treck that I camp by, and even being woke up in the middle of the night with a BP Chopper flying overhead with their search lights on checking out different canyons. This past year nothing in the way of BP once I was off pavement. There was a BP check point between Robles Junction and Sasabe (not Sells), once Biden took over it's closed up. I don't know if the BP check point is still open on I-19 or not. I wouldn't be anywhere in Southern Az without being armed.

Last edited by Jim270; 02/25/24. Reason: Changed word
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been wanting to get to that area myself for a while now. Great area for bird watching among other things.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by longarm

Looks like Portland or Seattle

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I don't mean to insult your intelligence or experience in any way, but if you have never camped in the real Sonoran desert...there are a couple things to keep in mind.
People not used to the desert tend to want to camp in dry washes or arroyos. Sandy and flat, maybe a little firewood, often there are pretty good size mesquites offering shade and windbreaks. Attractive spots...but also attractive to Mojave Green rattlers. And that thunderstorm you hear rumbling off in the distance? Maybe nothing...maybe a 4 foot wall of water with no warning. Just sayin'.

I'm pretty capable in the outdoors, but I respect the fact that every new environment comes with new ways to kill you, so I appreciate the pointers.

Anyone spent any time in or around the Dragoons?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was going to suggest Chiricahua Nat Monument. It's in the Dragoons great hiking.
I've camped a lot near Canelo. I think you can camp at Parker canyon lake. The Mexicans are spats through there. A lot more traffic along the NM border. I have property in Pierce which is the edge of Dragoons. Never any trouble there.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,238
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.