Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bpowers Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have 6- 100 pack boxes of 30 cal bullets im about to sell. I haven't shipped anything like this before. What would be my best and legal option. I want to be prepared before I list them in classifieds. Located in Alabama If that matters.

Hope this is the right spot to ask this. Thanks!!

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
??? No legal snags as far as the post office is concerned. Pack them securely and slap a label on them. I don't know of any local restrictions for mailing them to but I suppose there might be if California is involved.

Hint: you can pack a lot of .30 bullets in a small flat rate box. Just tape the living hell out of it. When the postal clerk asks if there's anything hazardous just say no (bullets aren't) and don't be that guy who stands there and describes what's in the box - you might be dealing with a dumbass clerk who mistakenly thinks anything remotely gun related is illegal to ship. Note: big retailers mail/ship bullets every day without hazmat restrictions, so what does that tell you?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have shipped LOTS of bullets USPS, not an issue....

'anything hazardous'?? they ask...

I answer 'don't try to eat it'....

they never ask more!

I see lots of folks in the PO with flat rate boxes that are closed ONLY by the little sticky strips on the box........

Like gnoooooah said, tape the crap out of it, and pack it with something so they don't rattle....

Last edited by Muffin; 02/08/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
bpowers, by "bullets" do you mean unloaded projectiles or loaded cartridges? If the former, stick them in a USPS Flat Rate box and mail them, no issues there. If they are loaded, that is a different story...

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
??? No legal snags as far as the post office is concerned. Pack them securely and slap a label on them. I don't know of any local restrictions for mailing them to but I suppose there might be if California is involved.

Wrong supposition.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Craigster

Wrong supposition.

Good to know. CA regs are fairly convoluted which I've discovered when sending gun stuff back and forth with a dear friend in Sacramento.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a friend who builds sorting belt systems for USPS on contract. When packing anything with any weight to it you need to know...belt speeds are now in excess of 26 mph...shuttle gates way faster...so when you pack weighty items, imagine throwing your package out the window going down the road at 26mph. That is exactly what happens when your package hits a shuttle gate and ricochets off into a bin. Tip, avoid cylindrical cardboard tubes that rifle barrels normally come in...when you do use a tube, get the free triangular boxes from USPS and secure them around the cardboard tube. When a cylindrical tube jumps the belt, it gets picked up at the end of the next day shift and thrown into a bin, where it will re enter the automated system...when somebody finds the time to empty the bin.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Craigster

Wrong supposition.

Good to know. CA regs are fairly convoluted which I've discovered when sending gun stuff back and forth with a dear friend in Sacramento.

Would not surprise me to see components added to Kali's s hit list, just as they did with online ammo sales.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Bullets only are no different than any other non-hazardous material to be shipped….live rounds containing all components…Primer and powder are forbidden with USPS shipping and may also be forbidden in the state you’re sending to.

We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
New flash! This just in....

Guns don't kill people, bullets do. Expect heavy regulation to ensue. LOL

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

reach out to farmfirearms he sure have those...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would suggest securing the bullets in the box you ship them in so the bullet box is not flying around loose inside the shipping box. I got some bullets from Charlie Sisk awhile back and I got back to him to tell him Larry Potterfield could take a few lessons from him on bullet shipping. Immobilize the bullet boxes inside the shipping box. If the bullet box can move around inside the shipping box, you stand a very good chance of ending up with loose bullets all over the inside of the box.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dinny
New flash! This just in....

Guns don't kill people, bullets do. Expect heavy regulation to ensue. LOL

Regulate people, they are the killers.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shipped some bullets in a small flat rate box.It was quite heavy for such a small box.Even though it was perfectly legal to ship them,after answering the questions anything liquid,hazzardous or perishable,of course the lady had to ask what was in the box.Instead of telling her it was bullets and not wanting to deal with her if she didn't understand,I just told her it was lead fishing weights.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Instead of talking to these people go to Pirate Ship and choose the carrier of your choice. Print out the shipping label be it UPS,USPS,or Fed Ex and drop it off at the hub or store. No explaining or 20 questions. Easy peasy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I shipped some bullets in a small flat rate box.It was quite heavy for such a small box.Even though it was perfectly legal to ship them,after answering the questions anything liquid,hazzardous or perishable,of course the lady had to ask what was in the box.Instead of telling her it was bullets and not wanting to deal with her if she didn't understand,I just told her it was lead fishing weights.

Just shipped some bullets last week in a small flat rate box@ 8 lbs. Woman postal worker said "that's heavy what's in it?" None of your business was my answer, her response "OK".

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some closed cell foam and bubble wrap to keep any internal movement eliminated. Raises less postal questions..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by bpowers
I have 6- 100 pack boxes of 30 cal bullets im about to sell. I haven't shipped anything like this before. What would be my best and legal option. I want to be prepared before I list them in classifieds. Located in Alabama If that matters.

Hope this is the right spot to ask this. Thanks!!

If you ship all 6 together, you’ll need a Medium Flat Rate Box from USPS. If it fits, it ships. Up to 50lb, I think. As stated above, wrap the boxes and tape them shut. Pack the box full and tape the whole box shut. Cost just went up on these boxes, so factor shipping cost into your asking price. BTW, what bullets are you selling?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16penny, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,524
Posts18,472,626
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.