Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19246253 02/25/24
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey guys, been out of loop for a while as far as new rifles. I want to get something in a 308 or 30.06 bolt action. I'd like to get something that doesn't break the bank. I don't want a Ruger American or anything similar built like that like to get traditional separate barrel from receiver. Any recommendations?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Look at either a tikka t3x or a weatherby vanguard s2.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Hey guys, been out of loop for a while as far as new rifles. I want to get something in a 308 or 30.06 bolt action. I'd like to get something that doesn't break the bank. I don't want a Ruger American or anything similar built like that like to get traditional separate barrel from receiver. Any recommendations?

What isn't like a Ruger American now days? Some guys may even say the Tikka that was suggested is more like a Ruger American than a traditional rifle. So what is it exactly you are looking for? They don't make pre 64 model 70's anymore. Are you looking for a walnut/blued steel rifle, Stainless/walnut, or just something that doesn't have a goofy as fu ck looking synthetic stock on it, or a rifle with a lot of plastic parts.

The Stevens 334 with walnut stock doesn't look too bad for a new rifle. Personally, I'd rather buy a nice used rifle, over any of these new weird looking rifles they try to pass off these days. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Some version of the Remington 700 should meet your needs.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd keep an eye on Guns International for a Remington 700, Winchester M70 or Ruger M77

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad my pre 64 Model 70 .308 still does the job.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Haunt tha pawnshops

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'd skip new and go for well maintained used. A post 64 push feed model 70 in exc condition can be found for 400 to 500, they came with hammer forged barrels, I've never seen one that wouldn't shoot. The .308s, 06's are common, .270's are a little scarcer. They came in Win 70, Win 670, Win 770, Sears 53,
and I think Win Ranger and 770. Rangers are dirt cheap, enough left over to get a good scope.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like the looks of that new Stevens 334 in Walnut. They are about $450 new.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to beat a M70 FWT. Not the least expensive.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Look at either a tikka t3x or a weatherby vanguard s2.

I favor this reply, Tikka has about any combo you'd need, wood, synthetic, blued, stainless, short medium or long barrel, 3or 5 or 10 shot mags, picatinny or standard base rings, threaded or not, adjustable trigger, plastic or metal trigger guard, vertical grip choice, coated bolt or barrel, different contour barrels, fluted or not and a real accuracy guarantee.
Probably forgot something but thats quite a list that performs.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Your general desire, "unencumbered" of picky specs, leaves you with a happy world of rifles for sure! You haven't even actually limited yourself to "Bolt", so you've got a wild arena!

I'm with the general crowd as saying "seek used!" To my mind, older guns 'tend to be' more quality and especially if you don't mind ordinary field wear, you may be able to get a great rifle at half or so the prices of a new model reflecting the latest-greatest-inflation-impacted editions! I always liked the big gun shows best, or smaller shops! Of bolts, I'm heavily prejudiced toward the Model 70 CRF editions. Pre '74 of course but also like the '90ies era rifles too and perhaps a few clicks cheaper. But heck, if I saw a really decent quality Springfield or Enfield sporter, I'd not kick it out of bed! smile

Final thought I'd not ignore the .308 Winchester chambering too and its medium length mainstream brethren.

Seems to me you're in the catbird seat of keeping an open mind and, as heare seeking/open to suggestions!

Good Luck!
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be on the look out for an older Rem 700 BDL with the impressed checkering. A nice safe queen in .30-06.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

What isn't like a Ruger American now days? Some guys may even say the Tikka that was suggested is more like a Ruger American than a traditional rifle. So what is it exactly you are looking for? They don't make pre 64 model 70's anymore. Are you looking for a walnut/blued steel rifle, Stainless/walnut, or just something that doesn't have a goofy as fu ck looking synthetic stock on it, or a rifle with a lot of plastic parts.

The Stevens 334 with walnut stock doesn't look too bad for a new rifle. Personally, I'd rather buy a nice used rifle, over any of these new weird looking rifles they try to pass off these days. YMMV..

+1

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I would search for a nice used Winchester Ruger Savage Remington.. from years back. Made better than todays in my opinion.

If you want new I would suggest Tikka or Bergera

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Unless you’re a handloader id prob get the 308. Get an ADL or SPS, ditch the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Howa is the budget choice for conventionally-constructed rifles. Forged action, one-piece bolt with tool-less takedown, hinged floorplate, even some with nice walnut and SS if you can find them in stock. Check Grice’s and maybe Elk County, both in PA. They are, in standard form, a bit heavy, but any rifle built the old way likely will be, unless you pony up some serious money.

Weatherby Vanguards are the same basic rifle, with different furniture.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A "new" rifle to me, is always a gently used rifle. Those have always been the best. Hard to lose any money that way too. That's how I've always done it though, YMMV... I can show 10 examples that I've bought in the last year, that are damn good. It would be really hard buying new, now days with the crap that is coming out of the factories. You guys can have them. They offer very little as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,399 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,505
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.