Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Hey guys,

I think I'm going to sell this rifle, but I'm not sure how to price it. I may try to sell it in the ads, but it may end up on Gunbroker eventually. It was purchased from the estate of a Pennsylvania gunsmith who built a lot of Mauser sporters. The bore is like new, the bluing is high gloss, and it was built on a 1909 Argentine action made by DWM. I believe the twist is 1:9. Pretty nice piece of timber on it. Anyways I'd be interested to hear what you guys would value it at.

Thanks

https://imgur.com/OtvhlIY

https://imgur.com/jlHunaY

https://imgur.com/nyCaJDO

https://imgur.com/xpuTuYA

https://imgur.com/E1GHSvd

https://imgur.com/fcMfomP

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nice little carbine.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Beautiful rifle. What's it worth? Well how much would you take for it. Shouldn't have a problem finding a customer for that. I think the only one value really matter's to is the guy selling the gun. If you charged to little, you'd still find guy's that think its to much. Charge what you might think is to much and somewhere there will be a guy willing to buy it. Finding him would be the problem. Get less than you think it's worth and at some point down the road you'll regret selling it in the first place!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very nice rifle sir, decide what you want for it and be patient.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice looking Stutzen until I got to the pic of that hideous rollover check piece. But that’s just personal biase. Good luck with your sale.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MS9x56
Very nice looking Stutzen until I got to the pic of that hideous rollover check piece. But that’s just personal biase. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks MS....no roll over on this stock though. It's a straight comb.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You are going to have to find the right person to get what you want for it. In my parts, nice 1909 Sporters typically go for anywhere between $500-$1000 depending on all the usual factors including workmanship and quality of materials in the build. If it has a top shelf quality barrel, it would be worth mentioning when you advertise.

My family has been building on these actions for decades and I have a number of actions and a ton of 1909 parts laying around that will be put to use one day.

There are a whole lot of guys 60+ years old who dreamed of having a 1909 rifle built similar to something like this one. The 7x57 caliber is a plus.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The cheekpiece may be a little ostentatious on that rifle but
it is not a "rollover" cheekpiece.
I feel it is a fine hunting rifle!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MS9x56

Hardly hideous or for that matter Ostentatious. It is what what it is, a nice shadow line cheekpiece. I'm sure it's a right candy 'lil carbine! Can't help with pricing in today's market.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Not up with current values, but a collector/shooter six decades if that counts in comparison.

To me what I'm seeing: An "eras" rifle reflecting nineteen fifties-sixties era when milsurp conversions ruled as econo custom rifle basis and the 1909 Argentina mauser action was near top of the heap. The hallowed DWM German manufacture as quality and featured bottom metal particularly coveted for the hinged floorplate & in trigger bow release mechanism.

The rifle as presented is handsome but frankly, dated. It was someone's baby and for what it is, well done. But its in that wide "in between zone" as not really classic mauser nor of the succeeding era where such as FN and then Zastava tweaked the mauser action with full left siderail and receiver bridge clip 'hump' structure was neatly deleted. Where "low scope bolt was pro designed and frankly, leaving a bunch of "custom" iterations looking a bit stodgy/weird. A lot of the fifties era features then 'in', was moved to 'out'.

The rifle of reference, is of that 1909 favoured design which collectors yet revere as also in "classic style sporters". The metal alterations of bridge "bobbing" with unavoidable remnant effect as definite minus. The bolt handle... "Functional" as my own greatest compliment. The adaptation of "presumably original bolt body as 'if so' melded to the newer as 'non-classic' mauser 98 design. Not a minus except for "classic context". The stock has been amply critiqued. My net, as not classic if functional. The Mannlicher design even more notably as not adapting as well to "non-classic styling.

This is an "in-between rifle" to me. Not achieving either entirely modern mauser iteration features nor certainly neither truly classic. The true plus features of DWM "Era" manufacture, lost in the dust to a host of modern factory variants as the used markets were predominantly nesting.

No 'dis' intended, Just calling them as I see them!
Best of luck!
John

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
AFAICS, except of the bottom metal, the 1908 Brazilians made by DWM are just as good as the 1909 Argentines when used for donor actions.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
600.00 to 700.00

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What kind of safety/trigger does it have? Looks like a 700 style side safety

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by blairvt
What kind of safety/trigger does it have? Looks like a 700 style side safety

It's a Bold trigger assembly

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice rifle.

The problem selling such a fine classic is the dwindling population of Fudd types who would love it. Us old farts are exiting the scene in increasing numbers.

You're wanting to sell a classic in a black rifle market. Older guys are probably thinning the stable more than adding new pieces.

Agree with the post stating, set your price and be patient. A quick sale price could be disappointing.

Somebody would love to have that rifle, would appreciate it and take care of it. Just finding that needle in the haystack.

DF

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate your insight

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice rifle. Been looking for something like this, but I already blew my budget at the last gunshow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Nice rifle.

The problem selling such a fine classic is the dwindling population of Fudd types who would love it. Us old farts are exiting the scene in increasing numbers.

You're wanting to sell a classic in a black rifle market. Older guys are probably thinning the stable more than adding new pieces.

Agree with the post stating, set your price and be patient. A quick sale price could be disappointing.

Somebody would love to have that rifle, would appreciate it and take care of it. Just finding that needle in the haystack.

DF
Where was this rifle 30 years ago ?? Someone really put a lot of work into this rifle and it shows. But, I'm a fudd and I need to thin some out and not add any more.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Beautiful rifle and as you can see you’ll get many opinions - some not even based on facts (i.e. rollover cheekpiece??). Typically the cost to build one of these things is much greater than one can expect to get out of them down the road - primarily because it is a custom with features chosen by the client (or selected by the builder based in his “style”). Rifles made by well known custom builders or exceptional workmanship will command the highest returns. Rifles like this that are very well done, but not by a well known maker and not to the level of “exceptional” (but in my opinion more towards exceptional than “average”), should be able to garner $1000-1500 once you find the “right” buyer. If wanting to part with it sooner rather than later (and like many said already the market for such rifles is dwindling) then I’d expect less than $1000. It’s unfortunate but the reality of the situation.

Thanks for posting - it is a beautiful rifle and one I’m sure the original owner was very proud of - if I wasn’t part of the dwindling market I’d love to add this to my accumulation!

Just my two cents,

Penndog

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hanco
600.00 to 700.00

I'd buy it at that price.

I think its a $1k-1200 rifle, but as others have mentioned, it takes finding the right buyer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,171
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.