Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Have a Sauer 101 for a couple yrs now that has some nice grain and burl in the stock. I can live with it the way it is but I don't like the glossy finish that I'm assuming is a sprayed on epoxy or acrylic. Also hard to see in any picture but plenty of open grain in the wood. Thinking of stripping the finish off and wet sanding to close up the grains and giving it a hand rubbed oil finish.

But nice enough rifle as factory, maybe I should let my hands off of it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a real shiny Browning like that, with the thick urethane finish….had it redone with an oil finish and it was much nicer…. You won’t regret it.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Don’t touch it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimZ
Had a real shiny Browning like that, with the thick urethane finish….had it redone with an oil finish and it was much nicer…. You won’t regret it.
My brother has a Browning Safari that has really pretty wood but the heavy urethane finish was cracked and some of the sharp edges like on the cheek piece were dinged. I stripped it and rounded off some of the sharp edges and gave it a nice satin finish and it looks much better. A fun rewarding project.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't know if I'd do anything with that finish but on a Remington BDL I had with that shiny bowling ball finish got worked on. Gave it a light rub down with 0000 steel wool, just enough to break the sheen and now it looks more like an oil finish. A light application with Pledge about once a year keeps it looking nice.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Don't know if I'd do anything with that finish but on a Remington BDL I had with that shiny bowling ball finish got worked on. Gave it a light rub down with 0000 steel wool, just enough to break the sheen and now it looks more like an oil finish. A light application with Pledge about once a year keeps it looking nice.
PJ

Yeah I was thinking that route also, but don't know if I'd be able to stop at that. But, I could always knock off that gloss which is easy enough to do and see how I like it.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Grey Scotch-brite pad with paste wax is your friend when taking the shine off of a high gloss finish. Use a light touch and follow with a micrfiber cloth to remove the wax left behind. Steel wool will leave metal slivers embedded in the finish which will later rust.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rottenstone for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can probably knock it down to a satin finish with some pumice powder or rottenstone powder and a damp cotton pad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knock it back and leave it.

That finish is way better than oil on a hunting gun.

Yep.
He said it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can knock down the finish to reduce the gloss before refinishing completely it might save you some time. The wood and finish look pretty good besides the gloss . The worst that would happen is you would need to strip and refinish after.

You could knock down the finish a number of ways. If it were me, I would use a gray 3M pad and knock down the gloss finish to a point it would be a completely dull looking outer surface. Then you sand with 1000/2000 grit wet/dry paper to bring it back to a smooth surface, then polish it to a relative gloss with an automotive polish and a soft cloth. Once you get it to the gloss you're happy with, put on a couple coats of good wax like Rennaissance Wax of Johnson wax and buff ....

You can also do this with rottenstone to start off and will probably get about the same results if you know how to use the stones for finishing ....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Rub it with 4F pumice on a dampened felt pad.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
80 grit and spray paint. Hint………..

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’d leave it as it is

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah I’d leave it alone too

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would leave it alone. Why do you not like gloss?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by PJGunner
PJ

That's the way you do it...money for nuthin' and chicks for free.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you can knock down the finish to reduce the gloss before refinishing completely it might save you some time. The wood and finish look pretty good besides the gloss . The worst that would happen is you would need to strip and refinish after.

You could knock down the finish a number of ways. If it were me, I would use a gray 3M pad and knock down the gloss finish to a point it would be a completely dull looking outer surface. Then you sand with 1000/2000 grit wet/dry paper to bring it back to a smooth surface, then polish it to a relative gloss with an automotive polish and a soft cloth. Once you get it to the gloss you're happy with, put on a couple coats of good wax like Rennaissance Wax of Johnson wax and buff ....

You can also do this with rottenstone to start off and will probably get about the same results if you know how to use the stones for finishing ....

I agree with this. I've seen some of your stocks, so I know you know what you are talking about. Something else I've used to knock down the shine is Birchwood Casey's stock sheen and conditioner. Then like you say, hit it with a couple coats of Johnson's paste wax.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Stock looks great to me. I wouldn't try to dull it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Leave it alone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 58 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.