Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm soon to come into possession of a S&W 27 that was accidentally damaged by light moisture over time. Actually only one side of the revolver had the blueing damaged. No rust, pits, just cosmetic. I've heard that S&W does a fantastic re-blue. Are there any other revolver service providers that I should look into for this job?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Doug Turnbull’s outfit does OUTSTANDING work.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Ford's is reputed to be about the best around. Ford's

Here's an S&W they reblued.

[Linked Image from le-cdn.hibuwebsites.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Ford's is reputed to be about the best around.

I've heard many complaints about Ford's over the last few years. Seems like their quality has gone downhill.
Also, S&W's bluing process has changed in recent years--for the worse--due to EPA restrictions on the chemicals they used for their previously fantastic bluing jobs.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Used to be S&W was the best deal going not only because they were cheap but because you knew they knew how to polish one without washing out the side plate joint or the cylinder flutes.

The less often mentioned deal was that for either the same price or maybe $25 more they’d nickel it.

I’d check with the factory and see what they can do.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd just shoot the hell out of it.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I'd just shoot the hell out of it.

Greg,

This is a strong Plan B.

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, Plan B, especially if you intend to tote it around in a holster at all. Also the trouble and expense of shipping guns these days is considerable. It’s a tool, and one man’s damage is another man’s “character”.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You've got the finest 357 revolver ever built: accurate, rugged, finely fitted, trigger like a wish, and so forth. It's already damaged, so it will never be a fine collector's piece, and either refinishing or shooting will reduce its monetary value.

I'd shoot it and spend the re-blue money on ammo.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by okie john
You've got the finest 357 revolver ever built: accurate, rugged, finely fitted, trigger like a wish, and so forth. It's already damaged, so it will never be a fine collector's piece, and either refinishing or shooting will reduce its monetary value.

I'd shoot it and spend the re-blue money on ammo.

Okie John

I believe that will be the appropriate course of action. I already have multiple 27s and I shoot them frequently. But they don't have any mentionable cosmetic issues. I like my firearms to look good even though they are well-used. But I may let this one slide. As you say, the cost of a re-blue can buy a lot of 158 gr. XTPs.

RS

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or you could sell it to me really cheap. grin

I’ve noticed my well worn guns get a lot more range time than the nice ones.

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/03/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have researched this a fair amount the past several years. Bottom line - juice isn’t worth the squeeze unless it is a really unique piece (it isn’t) or you have a real sentimental attachment to it. If S&W will refinish it (a big IF) they cannot produce the original finish for the exact reason stated above (EPA stuff, plus a general lack of skillset). Just shoot it or sell it on and use the money toward one in nicer condition.

I have not dealt with Fords, but have read the same stories. Doug Turnball does immaculate work, but again the whole upside down cost thing.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a 15-3 S&W .38 refinished last year at the factory. Price and turn around were excellent and the workmanship was outstanding. This was a battered-up LAPD duty revolver that patrolled LA for 20+ years. No pitting or rust, but A LOT of blue wear. The factory also adjusted the timing/carryup and endshake (free). Edges were sharp, no dishing on the sideplate and all markings were undisturbed. The color is somewhat blacker than the 70's era blue, but still really nice. I'll be sending my old 27-2 in soon for a refinish.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
I had a 15-3 S&W .38 refinished last year at the factory. Price and turn around were excellent and the workmanship was outstanding. This was a battered-up LAPD duty revolver that patrolled LA for 20+ years. No pitting or rust, but A LOT of blue wear. The factory also adjusted the timing/carryup and endshake (free). Edges were sharp, no dishing on the sideplate and all markings were undisturbed. The color is somewhat blacker than the 70's era blue, but still really nice. I'll be sending my old 27-2 in soon for a refinish.
Bob
That's great to hear. I've sent several old S&W revolvers to them for gunsmithing work, and it's always been first rate.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I sent a Winchester M/52 to Ford's a few years ago, I wasn't pleased with the work. Many engravers use Glenrock for reblue work, their work always gets high marks for quality.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you can find a shop that does blued parkerizing, it looks real nice. But the parkarizing solution messes up blueing salts so would have to be done as a last job with old salts as an end of day job before cleaning the tanks, might take a while to get it back. Turns out a deep black, hard surface, with a light texture. We did a bunch, but stopped doing them in our shop when salts got a lot more expensive to replace.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its your gun, do what feels right. Post war model 27's are not really rare, so refinish away and shoot the snot out of it. Or don, but whatever you do, shoot the snot out of it; that's a nice revolver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several places offer Cerakote for firearms. If I ever feel the need re blue my old Featherweight pre-64 30-6 or custom Marlin 1895 45-70 I will have them Cerakoted matte black that resembles a deep dark blue, but more durable and resists rust better.

Both guns have spent lots of time in a wall tent in moose camp and on my ocean boat on vessel based bear hunts before I sold it. The only finish on a gun that never got rust spots from several days on the boat was and old Glock 17 that had the Tennifer finish. Heck of a tough finish!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RGK
.... I'll be sending my old 27-2 in soon for a refinish.
Bob

Is that the M27-2 with the 6 inch barrel? Judging from pictures you posted once it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Elmer Keith
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

That's the most valuable response to a question I've seen on this forum in a long time.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (35, 2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.