Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tdd4570 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My son is shooting a HK Benelli Sport in 4H shotgun.

I think the sport is nothing more than a Super 90 or Montefeltro with a carbon fiber rib.

Anyway, here is the problem. It has started to fail to chamber a round. Ejection is good. It doesn't fail to chamber every round. Just often enough to frustrate a 15 year old.

Ammo doesn't seem to matter. It does the same if he is shooting 7/8 ounce loads at 1300 fps or 1 1/8 loads at 1250 fps.

I replaced the recoil spring about 1500 rounds ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you shot it yourself to see if the problem follows?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first thing, after shooting yourself like 10G said, is to break it down completely and clean the hell out of it and lube it. Pull the bolt assembly, trigger group, and clean out any old lube, paying attention to the channels in the receiver. Disassemble the bolt group, or at least flush it with something like Birchwood Casey synthetic safe gun scrubber. I'd flush the trigger group, too, then relube. In the guns I own, I use a thin application of TW25B grease in the channels inside the receiver where the bolt assebly slides. If there is still a problem after a thorough cleaning, then, obviously, something else is at play.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The recoil spring in the buttstock needs cleaning as well as its tube housing. To get the stock bolt plug out of the tube you have to heat it up.because you will strip the wrench surface if you don't. The lock dope they use is strong heat it up and it comes out easy..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You have received excellent advice about giving the gun a very thorough cleaning. I would have suggested the recoil spring in the butt stock but since you said you had replaced it recently that may not be the issue. After all the advice you got the only other thing I might mention is to thoroughly clean the chamber of the barrel. Maybe there is a buildup of plastic residue in the chamber preventing the shells from fully chambering. That is kinda grasping at straws.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

T
tdd4570 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I haven't shot it myself, but I will. Can it be the equivalent of limp wristing a pistol?

I watched him shooting sporting clays yesterday. It seems like it gets hung up on the lifter. If he is paying attention and it is a report pair, he can hit the bottom of the receiver and it will go ahead and load when he has the issue.

I'll make him go thru and thoroughly clean it this week and see if he still has the issue at practice this coming weekend.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And how often does one have to go thru this procedure to have a Benelli function reliably?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
And how often does one have to go thru this procedure to have a Benelli function reliably?

You really don't like Benelli do you? You often go out of your way to throw shade on Benelli whenever you can.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have nothing against them. And in fact have friends who shot them regularly. However, they do have more feeding issues than the Beretta SA's.

And when I have seen A400's go for 4-5 thousand with little more than a squirt in the chamber along with a wipe down....from personal experience I wonder why one would chose one over the other. Combined with the fact the serious completion shooters choose Beretta over Benelli by multiples of 100's.

If this is what it takes to keep them running....then yes I would find little reason to own one. In fact a 50 year old SuperX Model1 didn't take that level of maintenance to function reliably. Neither does an even older Winchester Model 50 or 59.

Add in additional recoil and you tell me why you are a fan....

Last edited by battue; 02/19/24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing.

If marked HK do you know how old and if possibly the gun has been stored with the action locked open for a long period of time?

Has this gun ever been deep cleaned?

Grease and an auto do not go together. If nothing else a very light oil applied then most of it wiped off. Grease will just attract and hold dust or any other residue.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
One has to wonder if this particular gun has ever been cleaned or even stored properly for that matter.

Been around and owned several and only issues I saw were the bolt being bumped back and get a fail to fire.

Originally Posted by tdd4570
I haven't shot it myself, but I will. Can it be the equivalent of limp wristing a pistol?

I watched him shooting sporting clays yesterday. It seems like it gets hung up on the lifter. If he is paying attention and it is a report pair, he can hit the bottom of the receiver and it will go ahead and load when he has the issue.

I'll make him go thru and thoroughly clean it this week and see if he still has the issue at practice this coming weekend.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Dave
Equivalent to limp wristing is my thoughts if that is even possible.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/19/24.

T
tdd4570 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, it is a HK imported Benelli.

He has had it for 3 or 4 years and just started shooting 4H shotgun about a year ago.

I replaced the recoil spring when he got it. Correcting what I posted above, it probably has about 5k rounds on this spring.

It has functioned perfectly until about a month ago. It started failing to chamber. He has been going back and forth between it and a O/U and I really didn't think about it until yesterday. We shot a tournament and he shot the Benelli and I watched him struggle with it.

This just started recently so I want to think it is a shotgun issue, but it could be a limp wristing equivalent. He is 6' and 170 lbs so he should have plenty of mass to make sure it works.

It will get a detailed cleaning this week and will try things at practice this coming weekend.

Thanks
Dave

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Friend had the soft mount issue with a A400 20 gauge. One shot and it wouldn't feed. I would shoot it and it was fine. Finally he had the LOP shortened so his mount was solid and it went away. His mechanical skills are worse than mine....which are nothing to be admired....and that shotgun went on to function for the next two years before I gave it a take down cleaning. He had never even had the barrel off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to replace the recoil spring in my 12-ga Cordoba with a 25% stronger spring from Brownells. In my gun, that was the cure for what had been a frustrating condition that no amount of cleaning would fix. I tear the whole gun down once a year (one more goose hunt and then it’s time) just on principle anyway.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, it is a HK imported Benelli.

He has had it for 3 or 4 years and just started shooting 4H shotgun about a year ago.

I replaced the recoil spring when he got it. Correcting what I posted above, it probably has about 5k rounds on this spring.

It has functioned perfectly until about a month ago. It started failing to chamber. He has been going back and forth between it and a O/U and I really didn't think about it until yesterday. We shot a tournament and he shot the Benelli and I watched him struggle with it.

This just started recently so I want to think it is a shotgun issue, but it could be a limp wristing equivalent. He is 6' and 170 lbs so he should have plenty of mass to make sure it works.

It will get a detailed cleaning this week and will try things at practice this coming weekend.

Thanks
Dave
Mixed thoughts on this but are you storing it with the action closed or open?

T
tdd4570 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I think most of the time it is stored with the action open. Just like the other sons Beretta.

I went ahead and ordered a new recoil spring and will replace it while it is apart.

Any other springs to replace?

Thanks
Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Up to you, and as I said mixed thoughts but all of my autos are stored action shut and trigger snapped.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did the lifter get bent?

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My son is shooting a HK Benelli Sport in 4H shotgun.

I think the sport is nothing more than a Super 90 or Montefeltro with a carbon fiber rib.

Anyway, here is the problem. It has started to fail to chamber a round. Ejection is good. It doesn't fail to chamber every round. Just often enough to frustrate a 15 year old.

Ammo doesn't seem to matter. It does the same if he is shooting 7/8 ounce loads at 1300 fps or 1 1/8 loads at 1250 fps.

I replaced the recoil spring about 1500 rounds ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Interesting. I am a 4-H coach here in N.C. With the exception of one kid, all of our shotgunners shoot gas operated auto loaders. I have found the old Remington 1100 and 1187 to be particularly good at getting the kids on target. I hope you get your Benelli running properly. Life is no fun when you are having gun related issues. Have a great 4-H shooting season! I am expecting out team to compete pretty well this year.

T
tdd4570 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Update.

It was broken down cleaned and lubed. I was going to go ahead and replace the recoil spring, but they haven't arrived in the mail yet.

Practice yesterday. I shot a box of shells thru it first with no issues. My son shot 6 boxes thru it and had maybe 3 failures to chamber.

This week we will clean again and replace the recoil spring when it arrives in the mail.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,534
Posts18,472,748
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.