Print Thread
Hop To
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Of the insulated mountain boots, like Schnee Granite 600g insulated and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000g insulated, which ones are wider, more comfortable and generally better for hunting and generally walking around in -20 C (-4F) conditions?

Obviously, one has more insulation, which should make them warmer.

I have wide feet, so generally go up half a size in uninsulated boots. However, while Meindl, my preferred boots are a good fit, Lundhags are a bit tight and I cannot wear thick socks with them. Also, different philosophy: not waterproof.

Another issue, for any boot costing this sort of money, can they be repaired - new soles?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the same situation, I went with the Granite. I’m happy with them so far, but haven’t spent a ton of time in them yet.

Also, keep in mind that not all insulation is equal.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
L&S makes one

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You might check out the Hoffman Explorers. I have had a pair for 3-4 years now. They have a softer, more grippy sole,which is great for hard frozen ground. But because they are softer, they wear quicker. But they can be resoled. One more year, and then mine are headed back for new ones.These boots have also been easier to break in than other brands of this style. The insulation in them has been good, price is about the same I think. In reality though, -20* for any length of time is pretty cold for any type of these boots. I'm going to my Hoffman packs with felt liners if it's that cold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have put quite a few miles on a pair of the Schnees insulated Granites. Nice boots, warmer than my others for sure, but I do find the toebox tight in a weird way. Not width, but depth.

Doing it over, I’d probably go with the Crispi Wild Rock Plus. Mainly because I like the fit of Crispis.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Crispi Wild Rock 400 gr. My next pair will be the Plus version with 800 gr. Love Crispi boots.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
robthom Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks to all who have replied to my query.

I value the experience of people who have the product and used it as intended - better than just contacting the manufacturer.

For wide feet, I was thinking about the width across the big toe / widest part of the foot. But the comment about the toe box is very valid and one which I missed / did not think of (last shape). I have a problem with long, leather riding boots as I have a high instep. Have to like the modern riding boots with a hidden vertical zip along the back of the boot shaft.

I was wearing Meindl hunting boots with thick wool socks one evening, waiting outside a theatre in Almaty, Kazakhstan Christmas New Year 2015. I could feel the cold coming up through my boots from the ground (snow and ice over concrete paving etc). The rest of me was warm - wool trousers, thermal underwear, wool coat etc. I guess it was -16 to -20 degrees C in the early - mid evening. The coldest temperatures I have experienced in Kazakhstan were -26 C, Almaty, and around -30 C in Astana.

So, I thought, the knowledge and experience of people living / going about their lives in the northern mid West USA and Canada would be useful.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For wide feet - Keen or Sorel.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 66 invisible), 2,842 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.