Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Take a look at what they sell regularly for on AfricaHunting.com. Mine is very accurate with 300gr swift a-frames. If you buy it and decide not to keep it I think you could easily get your money back and then some, especially with the scope.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Nice grain through the buttstock on this one. It is heavy for a 375 but just about perfect for a 450 Rigby. The conversion on this one is not as easy as if it were a 416 Rigby - rebore, open bolt face, alter rails, probably new or modified mag follower and some reshaping of the feed ramp, especially for the flat nose solids like the CEBs.

Bottom line - buy it! Deal with perfecting it later. BTW, slimming the stock by someone who know how to do it changes the character of the rifle decidedly.

A classic and classical American DGR.

That's a chunk of change to put into a Ruger. I would look used customs if I wanted a larger bore rifle.

Maybe, but well worth it, as then you’ll have a perfect DGR. The factory shipped rifle is good as is and hard to beat, with the changes I described, even with a ‘relatively high-dollar’ custom. Except for the stock modification - in my case done by R J Renner - the rest of the mods are the type that can be done by a user adept at the metal work involved.

My specimen is a 1993 Gen 1, with a now 23” barrel done at reboring, started out as a 416 Rigby, with a muzzle brake installed by the prior owner. That’s a piece of gear I despise and couldn’t wait to expunge!

To each his own, as a custom DGR has its own appeal. But in today’s world IMHO you can’t get a factory DGR that’s closer to a classic than these M-77 RSMs. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Building a custom rifle is an attempt to build something perfect. It doesn't always turn out that way.So many things can go wrong and in the end the factory rifle you want to modify was a better rifle than your custom.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/17/24.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I’d say it’s worth 2000-2500.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by swiftshot
Building a custom rifle is an attempt to build something perfect. It doesn't always turn out that way.So many things can go wrong and in the end the factory rifle you want to modify was a better rifle than your custom.
I certainly wouldn't use a Ruger 77 action as the basis for a custom.
Bill Ruger did some odd things and the M77 recoil lug was one of them.
R700 top, M77 bottom
[Linked Image from files.osgnetworks.tv]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice grain through the buttstock on this one. It is heavy for a 375 but just about perfect for a 450 Rigby. The conversion on this one is not as easy as if it were a 416 Rigby - rebore, open bolt face, alter rails, probably new or modified mag follower and some reshaping of the feed ramp, especially for the flat nose solids like the CEBs.

Bottom line - buy it! Deal with perfecting it later. BTW, slimming the stock by someone who know how to do it changes the character of the rifle decidedly.

A classic and classical American DGR.

That's a chunk of change to put into a Ruger. I would look used customs if I wanted a larger bore rifle.

Maybe, but well worth it, as then you’ll have a perfect DGR. The factory shipped rifle is good as is and hard to beat, with the changes I described, even with a ‘relatively high-dollar’ custom. Except for the stock modification - in my case done by R J Renner - the rest of the mods are the type that can be done by a user adept at the metal work involved.

My specimen is a 1993 Gen 1, with a now 23” barrel done at reboring, started out as a 416 Rigby, with a muzzle brake installed by the prior owner. That’s a piece of gear I despise and couldn’t wait to expunge!

To each his own, as a custom DGR has its own appeal. But in today’s world IMHO you can’t get a factory DGR that’s closer to a classic than these M-77 RSMs. YMMV

MM does vary and my customized Win M70 416 Rem is perfection to me at 9 1/2# all in, scoped and loaded. McM stock, Wisner front and rear sights, Burris 1.75-5 Signature Safari scope, Feldcamp fluted barrel, bedding and ceracoat. Handles like a dream and is Zimbabwe proven.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
I certainly wouldn't use a Ruger 77 action as the basis for a custom.
Bill Ruger did some odd things and the M77 recoil lug was one of them.
R700 top, M77 bottom
[Linked Image from files.osgnetworks.tv]

Why heck, for a real custom job put one of them thar
Remington M700 washer recoil lugs on the
Ruger M77 Hawkeye.
Then you will have two recoil lugs,
one integral to action
and one that is removable,
and all of that in a CRF rifle.
Win, win.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/19/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by limabean
They are wanting 1850 plus tax which would be a little over 2k out the door. Thanks for the input so far.
great price. GET IT>

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by limabean
They are wanting 1850 plus tax which would be a little over 2k out the door. Thanks for the input so far.
great price. GET IT>

This is right. Don’t think about it twice. Just buy it!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ruger 77's have really gone up in price lately. Don't think you can lose on it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I want one. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I shot this 4 shot group offhand at 35yds with my Ruger Lott this afternoon using cast bullets.
I am getting ready in case I need to stop a charge-lol.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/21/24.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
So, did ya buy it yet?

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well I called the shop a week after I saw it and it was sold. Probably best for me but thanks for all the encouragement.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a 2010 built rifle in 375 H&H and they are a LOT of gun for the money. The sight ramp is machined with the barrel along with with a superposed bottom bridge between the receiver lug and front barrel recoil lug. Also, Ruger recommends 90 Ft Lbs on that barrel lug machine bolt. Mine was Magnaported and is more pleasant than a 30-06 with 180's at 2800 fps. Mine weighs at about 9.5 lbs with sights. Has been to Africa 3 times. Great rifle.
Darrel Wick

RAVENS & WOLVES
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Great rifles, wish you would have bought it, it would be at least two grand alone to have a 'Smith turn a barrel out with integral rib like those, bought a 416 Rigby for 1500 cash out the door in '94, poured over every magazine and book i could read about Africa, went through 500 sticks of Norma brass walking and shooting till i torched the throat, 400gr X, then 350 and 400gr TSX at 2650-2750 fps over imr-4350 will do that.

'Smith told me about throat, i wasn't going to part with the rifle because i liked the barrel and quarter rib so much, i sent rifle to Delta Gun Shop/Clearwater Reboring, they made me a hell of a 505 Gibbs, still have it, and no danger of torching the throat on that beast.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The RSMs are great rifles for reboring to larger calibers. My 416 Rigby is now a 450 Rigby.

Like it much better so chambered. It was designed and built for a larger caliber IMO, as the weight and balance calls for a true heavy cartridge DGR.

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes Sir plenty barrel steel to work with in those rifles, i bet your 450 Rigby is a great rifle to carry and shoot, my RSM as a 505 gibbs is about perfect, i had an original 1920's Britich Gibbs rifle, it was indeed to nice to hunt/shoot with, just couldn't do it, a guy came along with a wad of cash and took it, last i heard it was living in a vault in Montana ; ]

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.