Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This 99 is for sale where I live in Missoula, Montana. It's on Montana Gun Trader. It has a straight stock.

It has not had a pampered life. Well used to be kind. Blue all gone, horrible thrashed butt pad, wood tired, missing rear sight. It does have a tang sight, make? He does show it together and apart. They are asking $500 which seems high for the condition. No mention of the bore. Before I even go look at it in person I wanted some knowledge and your opinions.

I know without a picture it's almost worthless to ask, but if from my limited description you could get me in the ball park of a possible model and a range of price I would be grateful. I know a little about EG's and F's because I own those models, other wise?

Thank you!

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Can you provide a link to the site?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I couldn't deal with the butt pad, so I'd have to restock it. The tangsite is worth 150-200 on its own, as it appears to be a Lyman SA. No extra holes in the metal, that's good. If the bore is okay, 500$ isn't a screaming deal but it's not a horrible price for what it is. I'd like to see it closer to 400$ as it's a bit of a project rifle or shooter if the bore is okay.

Last edited by damnesia; 02/23/24.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks damnesia!

Why I didn't just post the link was dunderheaded on my part. Also thanks for identifying the tang sight. I was looking at it as strictly a shooter/project.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Thanks damnesia!

Why I didn't just post the link was dunderheaded on my part. Also thanks for identifying the tang sight. I was looking at it as strictly a shooter/project.

IF it is a A Short Rifle that would be a win , can u see the serial number, or is it posted 😊Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not that I can see and it's not posted. I now need to set up a time to look at it in person.

damnesia posted the link in his first post. Thank you again for that.

Last edited by Henry McCann; 02/23/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WOW

It ain’t like buying a share in Nividia.

If the bore is truly bad…..I’d pass

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/23/24.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Angus1895 you're right...if the bore is bad it's a hard pass.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The seller sent pictures of the bore. From those it looks like it was worth checking it out in person. Due to scheduling conflicts between the seller and myself I won't see it in person until this coming Sunday,

Thanks again for your posts.

IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would pass. This gun is obviously going to take some time and money to get it to probably the way you want it. If that’s the case, then why not use that money to add to the price of what you would purchase for and get something that’s already original and ready to go as soon as you get it?

If you look at the 99F in 300 Savage that I just posted, I paid $750 for that rifle in total, with transfer fee and tax included in that price. And that rifle is in very high original condition. It shoots great and is fully functional right now. It will hold its value.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There’s a nice EG languishing on GB right now for less than 300 more than that. And a very nice EG with a Stith mount and Lyman Alaskan got reposted yesterday because it got no love for a little over 1K. 500 bucks doesn’t sound like much but neither does the 99 you described and, believe me, if you bought it you’d soon be jonesing for something much better. I’d save my money and put it towards a decent 99 and let someone else go home with the beater.

PS - tough 99s are not in short supply.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would buy it, but I'm a sucker for a challenge and like putting sweat equity into guns to make them into what I want. You can't convert sweat equity into $ or you'll go nuts. That butt stock doesn't look short in the (awful) pic - perhaps they merely screwed a recoil pad onto it without doing anything to it, in which case it could be a simple matter of screwing a repro butt plate on it. Refinish the wood and do a quick and dirty blue job and Bob's your uncle, a sweet knockaround gun. (Given the workings of the gun are up to snuff of course.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and experiences. RAS and S99VG believe me I hear you. gnoahhh I have some of that same attitude so I will still look it over in person at the possibility of, "a sweet knockaround gun", as you wrote.

Someone just listed an ordinary 99EG 20 miles from my house. It's a clean unmolested survivor but they're asking $3000. There are times I sure wish I lived in the Midwest or Northeast when searching for 99's.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RAS
I would pass. This gun is obviously going to take some time and money to get it to probably the way you want it. If that’s the case, then why not use that money to add to the price of what you would purchase for and get something that’s already original and ready to go as soon as you get it?

Indeed so, Jeff. My comments are always made from the viewpoint of doing all the work myself and treating it as a hobby/pastime. If I had to pay a pro to do it (who likely wouldn't do a job as I would do it anyway) I would get out of the gun game and devote myself strictly to MG's and/or fly rod building&fly tying the rest of my life (and would do my own work there too)! I'm fortunate in having a couple lathes, surface grinder, and a milling machine - and a truckload of files and abrasives, and equally fortunate in having had a Dad and Gramps who drilled the DIY ethos into my head at an early age.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary,

You are absolutely correct. You have been blessed with talents that most of us don’t have, and also have to pay for. Sometimes my DIY projects work out but many times they don’t.

The older I get, the more my “green to grief ratio” changes. It’s something that my father taught me when I was young, and it makes even more sense now.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Thank you again for sharing your wisdom and experiences. RAS and S99VG believe me I hear you. gnoahhh I have some of that same attitude so I will still look it over in person at the possibility of, "a sweet knockaround gun", as you wrote.

Someone just listed an ordinary 99EG 20 miles from my house. It's a clean unmolested survivor but they're asking $3000. There are times I sure wish I lived in the Midwest or Northeast when searching for 99's.
3000.00!!!!!!!!??????????
dang brother, I have a sweet EG 300 i would let go with a smile and hand delivery for half that!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are quite a few shooter grade 99s on GI for not much money. I'm with Gary on my outlook on owning guns. I love to work on them. No one is born with those skills and I'm interested enough to learn, be careful and haven't screwed anything up yet. But I can't bring myself to [bleep] with original guns, even "gray rats".

I need another project and have been having trouble finding one. So i may buy one from GI but was sort of looking for something more interesting/old. I wish I could find one to trade for this silvertip 250-3000 I have and will probably never use. Maybe next gun show....

Last edited by damnesia; 02/27/24.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a coupla bare receivers. Post 90K Utica production. I'll get more info on them if you're interested.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would be interested to hear about what you've got.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 26 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.