Print Thread
Hop To
V
vixen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I found one at a Gun Show and it is a Super Grade. It is in pretty nice condition and I was wondering what the value would be. I believe it is for the standard action and is an original stock. It has some nicks and scratches, but overall very nice. It has the standard buttplate. It might have been ordered without swivels at the time it was purchased and swivel studs have been added.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds like the SG swivels are missing. Are there swivel studs or bases on the gun?
As described $800.00 + or - on eBay.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
vixen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
It has swivel studs on the stock. I am almost sure that you could countersink an original SG type swivel on the stock. As a collector told me that you could order these rifles about any way that you wanted to. This stock also has a very shallow notch for a peep sight. The inletting looks factory original. There is also a number stamped in the barrel channel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would LOVE to see a few pictures of it. I would give the left side of my manhood for a pre-war Super Grade stock.......and I don't even own a rifle that needs one.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by vixen
It has swivel studs on the stock. I am almost sure that you could countersink an original SG type swivel on the stock. As a collector told me that you could order these rifles about any way that you wanted to. This stock also has a very shallow notch for a peep sight. The inletting looks factory original. There is also a number stamped in the barrel channel.

SG swivel bases were attached with two screws and were mounted in an inlet in the stock, this arrangement would still be at least partly visible with just about any modification (countersink) one could attempt. If this is not the case, maybe not a SG stock? Pics would be helpful.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm doubtful it's a true supergrade stock. Especially if it's not inletted for the supergrade sling studs. It may be a copy. Pics would be nice to see, but I digress..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
vixen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I will try and get photos soon. I will be very busy for a few days. I can send text pictures.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just to remark that the swivels & bases were the same pattern going back to the first Super Grade stocks near the end of the Model 54 production. First of all, I'd think no buyer would have cause to require any other swivels. I do concur that the Winchester Custom Shop likely having tried to accommodate a reasonable variation. That said, unless the inclusion of a really convincing Provenance as persuasion, I'd not buy into such "Factory Custom" assertion!
Just my take.
I also second the 'pix' request for interest! smile
Best!
John

V
vixen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
This stock is not a Super Grade stock but it is a very nice early custom stock for a Pre War Model 70 Cloverleaf. The spacing of the inletting holes is 71/2 inches. This stock is also numbered on the inside. The wood is patterned very nice.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This stock is not a Super Grade stock but it is a very nice early custom stock for a Pre War Model 70 Cloverleaf. The spacing of the inletting holes is 71/2 inches. This stock is also numbered on the inside. The wood is patterned very nice.

Did you buy it or are you still seeking a value?

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oooo. Who got it right again?? Just sayin.. Even without pics, that one sounded odd.. non original.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.