-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We got in our 750, and are pursuing its set up.

What's the easy button for setting your powder charge?

We will likely be doing more than one powder/bullet combination for the same cartridges so switching charge weights will need to happen.

Is trial and error the best it gets? How do y'all do it?

I'm flat out spoiled ass rotten with my uniflow and micrometer adjustment.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I put one of these micrometer kits on a large powder bar:
https://uniquetek.com/shop/ols/products/micrometer-powder-bar-kit

It is smooth as all get out!

The kits are out of stock, but they are available pre-installed on a small or large powder bar for the 750.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, that's what I was hoping for. Thanks.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Follow up questions.

The micrometer kit answers the question of returning to a known charge, but how do you initially get the measure set?

Do y'all set up a charge weight with the measure off the press?

Or do you run cases through and dump charges on a scale until you get the desired setting?

If left on the press can the measure be easily disconnected and the charge bar pushed back and forth to make adjustments until the right drop weight is found?

What's the best way to do this?

Maybe y'all can see what I'm questioning here.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Because of the way the measure works it is easier for me to just adjust, weigh and dump cases back into hopper.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
👍

That's kinda what I figured.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Or do you run cases through and dump charges on a scale until you get the desired setting?
I usually take out the locator pin for the powder charging station and put fired cases (with the spent primer) into the station to get a powder charge. Throw a charge, weigh the charge, adjust powder bar, and repeat as necessary.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I usually take out the locator pin for the powder charging station and put fired cases (with the spent primer) into the station to get a powder charge. Throw a charge, weigh the charge, adjust powder bar, and repeat as necessary.

Yeah, we looked at the press again. It's simple. A case can be inserted at the priming stage with no primers present and rotated to the powder measure. Drop charge, pull and weigh charge. Rinse/repeat/adjust. A lot simpler than what I was thinking.

Thanks all for the input.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The kits are out of stock, but they are available pre-installed on a small or large powder bar for the 750.

^^^ What he said. I've got some of these (two for my 550 and one or two for my new 750 that I haven't gotten set up and running yet). Just be sure to record your micrometer settings in your load data record book for each load. Also, their Calibration Curve Spreadsheets are very handy for developing and keeping data for the various powders that you use, and they work with any micrometer style charge adjustment system (Redding, RCBS, etc.).

Last edited by Skeezix; 03/04/24. Reason: clarity

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Skeezix

^^^ What he said. I've got some of these (two for my 550 and one or two for my new 750 that I haven't gotten set up and running yet). Just be sure to record your micrometer settings in your load data record book for each load. Also, their Calibration Curve Spreadsheets are very handy for developing and keeping data for the various powders that you use, and they work with any micrometer style charge adjustment system (Redding, RCBS, etc.).

That mic is slick! I got the Armanov knob and wasn’t disappointed until you pointed out this piece of kit!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I "settle" the powder by doing 10 powder dumps. Then I weigh the 11 charge. Ball powders and small cut stick powders work best. I gradually adjust charge until I reach desired grain. I then check every 5th round as I load.

Last edited by Esox357; 03/10/24.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esox357
I "settle" the powder by doing 10 powder dumps. Then I weigh the 11 charge. Ball powders and small cut stick powders work best. I gradually adjust charge until I reach desired grain. I then check every 5th round as I load.

Yeah....

I was more asking how everyone manipulates brass through a progressive to set a powder charge. After taking a closer look at the Dillon it's been figured out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,666
Posts18,474,725
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.