Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by BallotBoxBiology
If you dont have a milly by retirement and paid off house, you [bleep] up or got screwed along the way (cancer). Especially anyone retiring now. You had it damn good.

Using the 4% rule that's $40K/year today. Not much unless there is a pension in the mix. Of course social security will help. Twenty years from now?

40k a year with no debt is a lot and easy to live on. In the future this will be almost impossible to achieve.

Thanks boomers.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by EdM
If you dont have a milly by retirement and paid off house, you [bleep] up or got screwed along the way (cancer). Especially anyone retiring now. You had it damn good.

Using the 4% rule that's $40K/year today. Not much unless there is a pension in the mix. Of course social security will help. Twenty years from now?

40k a year with no debt is a lot and easy to live on. In the future this will be almost impossible to achieve.

Thanks boomers.

You’re welcome.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've got an uncle you'd never know was one. He's pushing 90, stayed in the old sketchy part of town all these years in a paid for house. Literally just bought his first new vehicle ever as a treat to himself...a tacoma. Claims to have saved and/or invested 33% of every paycheck he had ever made, he was GT grad in chemical engineering, traveled the world for chalk companies and ran plants. Had millions but so stingy he wouldn't even buy my aunt a clothes dryer, she had continue using the clothes line. Has given the max gift to all 6 of his grandchildren each year since they were born, so they left HS with a nice little next egg. When he kicks the buckets, leaving each daughter a cool mil and each grandkid 500k. Aunt died from brain cancer in the 90s and he remarried, he spoiled the next wife and it was bad subject for the daughters. She got to enjoy his successes and not their mother.

Now my other uncle was one too, VP at Abbott and ran between all their international offices and facilities. His kids never wanted anything, and they ended up being two of the most liberal jokers in the family and married other liberals too. Lets just say one works for the DA in Fulton county. One has already blown through about 6 mil of his inheritance. Uncle is dead now so glad he's not around to see it but I'm sure he would be missing those grandbabies.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
The people who make it often have a hard time spending it. If it drops on your lap, it’s usually gone real quick. It’s funny how that works. Work.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by EdM

Thanks boomers.

I don't know, I'm not sure I could live like I'd want to on $40K/year. Without factoring in mortgages or vehicle payments my expenses are about $2500/mth or $32,250/year. Doesn't leave much for vacations, fishing tackle, whiskey and beer...

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone remember the TV show, The Millionaire"?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
The people who make it often have a hard time spending it. If it drops on your lap, it’s usually gone real quick. It’s funny how that works. Work.
Anything a person has to earn is taken better care of than something that was given to them. Just watch a teenager who's given a car versus one who worked and paid for his own.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM

Thanks boomers.

They still think they "earned" their SS.

It's sweet.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Had a uncle ( passed a couple years ago)

My moms sisters husband..

Unassuming rancher.

East TX.

Owned 100’s of $5k acres..

Cattle.

Wore billy joe shaver wrangler shirts. Re-used cotter pins.. 😂😂

I knew an old rancher east of here, was an heir to the Phillips Petroleum fortune, that would straighten old nails for his hands to use re-building corral fences. He drove an 8-10 year old, beater Toyota pickup, most of the time.
His wife drove a nice Caddy, though. A very sweet, unassuming lady - and unpretentious.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DHN
Timex, older vehicle, cheap beer; I guess I live like a millionaire.

I don't do the alcohol thing... but a Timex and older vehicles... I certainly check those boxes.

Heck, my favorite saying over the last 30 plus years... it sure is awfully expensive to be dirt poor nowadays.

Most of my relatives that others would consider 'wealthy' pretty much live the same way.

Last vehicle I bought new, was my 1988 4Runner.. still drive that one.. has 600K on it.
Got a couple of cousins, who still drive trucks they bought as far back at 1979.

but the wives still always get a new vehicle every 10 years of so.... My wife has started complaining about driving her 2004 Camry, as its got 200K on it. Guess it will passed on to me fairly soon. I'll buy her a newer vehicle, like a 2010 to 2012 or so....She only puts around 7K a year on a car... chuggin around town, and commuting 6 miles to work at the hospital 4 days a week.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by EdM

Thanks boomers.

I don't know, I'm not sure I could live like I'd want to on $40K/year. Without factoring in mortgages or vehicle payments my expenses are about $2500/mth or $32,250/year. Doesn't leave much for vacations, fishing tackle, whiskey and beer...

there has been lots of studies on where people feel comfortable ...retired ...on a yearly income, 75,000.00 a year seems to be a sweet spot. of course depends on where you live. quick math....1mil....you could draw 50,000.00 a year for 20 years with no interest. add in 25,000.00 ss per year.....interest stretches it out....also depends on how much you want to leave behind. I have taken pretty much all of my big ticket items off when I was working....couple left then it will be hunting and fishing locally and couple of different states, that's the way I planned it....also when you retire start off with new or fairly new cars/trucks, it may sound cool to be driving around with 350,000 on your truck...no thanks...bob

Last edited by Bob_mt; 02/27/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm no millionaire but I haven't made a house payment since '07 and it's been years since I made a car payment. You can live pretty well if you can keep everything you get.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, for one, I'm betting social security is either non-existent or looks a whole lot different. And Medicare.. Call it the way you see it. But, i'm already seeing a lot of pressure being put on healthcare here with the illegals. All these pricks know exactly where to go, how to word their begging, and maximize their free schit.

Could be. Like you, both were never part of my retirement plan. That said, my first SS "check" is due tomorrow. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk that I'll pick up this morning to celebrate.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Social security will probably be kicking in at 70 when I get to that age.

I always thought 6k a month would be plenty doable when the kids are out of the house.

When you look at the statistics of what most people retire on, it shows it can be done on much less.

My plan is a mix of part time commercial fishing, rentals, leasing out my business, leasing out quota/permits, SS, and interest income.

Plan on staying on the boat until 55, then hiring my replacement until 65, then leasing the business.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin

I always thought 6k a month would be plenty doable when the kids are out of the house.

When you look at the statistics of what most people retire on, it shows it can be done on much less.

My plan is a mix of part time commercial fishing, rentals, leasing out my business, leasing out quota/permits, SS, and interest income.

Plan on staying on the boat until 55, then hiring my replacement until 65, then leasing the business.

I was going to get into rentals...I was a builder after all.....but for me I didn't see the upside, it looked like I would be making a job for myself. I know it works for others. good plan you have....bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Uncle of mines was a multi mil guy thousands of acres tight as fuqk he died alone in a nursing home didn’t mean schit

Leaving this world with money in the bank isn't smart!

I have never seen a Luggage Rack on a Hearse.

KB

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by Calvin

I was going to get into rentals...I was a builder after all.....but for me I didn't see the upside, it looked like I would be making a job for myself. I know it works for others. good plan you have....bob

I already own one free and clear. I wouldn’t jump into rentals at today’s prices. And yes, it is a pain in the ass. If rent stays high it’s good income.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

Thanks boomers.

It's sweet.

Just let people keep their own money. Don't need some fugked up govt program buried in adimistrivia to give your own money back to you after using it for 40 years to fund wars all over the world.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, for one, I'm betting social security is either non-existent or looks a whole lot different. And Medicare.. Call it the way you see it. But, i'm already seeing a lot of pressure being put on healthcare here with the illegals. All these pricks know exactly where to go, how to word their begging, and maximize their free schit.

Could be. Like you, both were never part of my retirement plan. That said, my first SS "check" is due tomorrow. I bought a Ruger Blackhawk that I'll pick up this morning to celebrate.

Awesome use of your check.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by EdM

Thanks boomers.

It's sweet.

Just let people keep their own money. Don't need some fugked up govt program buried in adimistrivia to give your own money back to you after using it for 40 years to fund wars all over the world.

I’m all for this.
And I wonder how many people die before collecting SS, or collecting a significant portion of what they contributed. The theft by the government in SS from those who paid in over 30-50 years, is staggering.

NRA Patron
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,549 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,504
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.